Clearing an MTB path up Constantia Nek

3 minutes ago, tubed said:

???? "The Pavé segment" . Strictly speaking they are 'Pavé sectors' . Whereas I believe Stava has segments. What was I thinking calling it a brick road.

Seriously though you have got me all excited now remembering that we still have a Paris Roubaix still in October......hoping for an early Euro winter.

Sorry I’m new to this whole cycling thing… I haven’t even had a Roubaix since I started riding. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, i run that 'segment', and am a slow runner, and it passes VERY quickly, it really is quite short, just do you dont get your hopes up TOO much, I hurt my knees pounding (running) down S'Bossie, then someone suggested I run the way-more-gentle path, and it is more shady in summer, but slippy in Winter!

4 hours ago, ct_rider said:

First time I am hearing about this path, I am trying to see what segment you are referring to on Strava, is it this one?

Screenshot 2021-08-23 141437.jpg

Now this is the path I would like to see opened up for cyclists but I don't see it ever happening. I think this is City land managed by TMNP. Would the Table Mountain bikers have a contact or know someone??

1 hour ago, porqui said:

Now this is the path I would like to see opened up for cyclists but I don't see it ever happening. I think this is City land managed by TMNP. Would the Table Mountain bikers have a contact or know someone??

I think that is the old Orangekloof road, tried to get through there once from the top in the early days, there's a boom and gate at the top entrance in the Nek carpark and some serious looking ou's working for the govverrmint (I think) behind that gate...snuck through and past a few govvermint type houses but ran into massive fences at the bottom end of that gravel road where it joins the big bend of Hout Bay main road opposite that new Constantia Nek Estates....had to beat my way through the eucalyptus forest back to the main road cause I was bang of these okes back at the gate....Would love to see some trails/features in the forest down there, there's some serious gradient!!!

• 8 months later...

It's Toby Adams and some fellow MTB riders from Hout Bay.

It's the best way to get to Constantia Neck, off road.

We are planning a major upgrade to get the track 2m away from the yellow line

Contact me on WhatsApp on 0832517404 if you can assist

2 minutes ago, Toby Adams said:

The trail next to the road climb up to Constantia Nek from Hout Bay is a life-saver, if you and your mates have opened that up, then well done...I did it up there once before that trail was opened and it was a death trap but now its one of my favourite climbs. If you could find a way to link Valley Road-Waterfall Walk to Orangekloof Road then round the back of Houtkapperspoort and come out at the carpark at the roundabout at Constantia Nek, all way away from the road, then you'll be my hero!

Finding the gate through Ruiteplaats estate was another bonus and much more enjoyable way to get up and down Suikerbossie!

16 hours ago, Toby Adams said:

We are planning to do an upgrade from Longkloof Road all the way to Constantia Neck, We have done a budget of +- R20'000 but we need to start at the tight left hand corner close to the property "Phantom Acres".That's the most dangerous section

Our intention is to get away from the road especially at the top where cars park just off the road and block the path

I have trail builder workmen available and willing to do the work but we need funding and i will supervise the work

Will check out your new FB page, and commit to R200, 1% of your estimated needs. Are there banking details on your FB page?

now, you need 99 more equal donations…., then budget achieved.

Let’s Go!
1. Zebra R200

Edited by Zebra

Ok, requested to join your FB page, please publish banking details for donations…

cheers

Chris

Edited by Zebra
Spelling

On 5/18/2022 at 2:14 PM, Toby Adams said:

We have also just started a Facebook page called "HouBay ConstantiaNek MTB Track to clarify what we hope to achieve and collect funds

On 5/18/2022 at 6:49 PM, Zebra said:

Will check out your new FB page, and commit to R200, 1% of your estimated needs. Are there banking details on your FB page?

now, you need 99 more equal donations…., then budget achieved.

Let’s Go!
1. Zebra R200

I live 1500 km from the trail but will also donate 200 bucks if you share the bank details here as well (many of us on here not on facebook). My little way of promoting safe cycling. Perhaps post some pics here as well if possible (some on here may like the pics and be willing to donate and will keep this thread alive). Will hopefully try out the route myself one day if in the area, you never know.

I used to ride through Blue Valley all the time from Hout Bay but now drive to Constantia Nek to ride. Riding up Constantia Nek is okay but riding down can be dangerous in traffic. Especially if you need to turn at Longkloof. Hopefully this trail will allow us to ride down too. 

As much as I dislike the "Hout Bay Organised" FB group, it might be worthwhile putting a post up there to reach a wider audience. Have seen the community club together on a couple other projects, maybe someone is willing to help with tool and supplies. 

See below for "quicket" link to donate funds so that we can start with our upgrade project

I have access to the Trail Angels path building team that worked on the "Missing Link" MTB trail above Camps Bay, they also helped the FOTM/SANParks Honarory Rangers rehabilitate the footpath up to the top of Devils Peak and they are presently helping FOTM/SANParks Honarory Rangers rehabilitate Corridor Ravine, off the Camps Bay pipe tract.

Trail Angels need the work and we need the path upgrade! 

https://www.quicket.co.za/fundraisers/177067-constantia-nek-path/