Riding facing traffic - a valid question

lechatnoir

Similar issue with runners....there is zero shoulder on the descent from Chappies Peak to Noordhhoek but runners insist on running on the wrong side of the road up the climb to the viewpoint and put cyclists and themselves at risk of major collisions on blind corners...

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2021-01-18 at 09.29.46.png

nee shucks thats too close

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My gut feeling is the most vulnerable (in this case the runner) gets to hug the gutter and you need to go outside.

how are they more vulnerable ?

I find it very annoying especially in these covid times... Don't really understand why every single runner in SA runs the wrong side of the road, I always run in the same direction as traffic. I had a few near misses going down suikerbossie were you have absolutely no visibility because of the vegetation in some of the turns and you come at speed...

I ride on the wrong side only for a short stretch  by the flea market at paarden eiland but the visibility is really good and 99% I don't see anyone coming the other way...

Edited by Jbr

I find it very annoying especially in these covid times... Don't really understand why every single runner in SA runs the wrong side of the road, I always run in the same direction as traffic. I had a few near misses going down suikerbossie were you have absolutely no visibility because of the vegetation in some of the turns and you come at speed...

I ride on the wrong side only for a short stretch  by the flea market at paarden eiland but the visibility is really good and 99% I don't see anyone coming the other way...

You forgot the comic sans here, I hope

Uh, just as the law says that cyclists should be left in the same direction as the traffic, the law says that pedestrians (runners) need to be on the right facing traffic.

Didn't know this....

As foryou...I dunno, from what I hear, you a walker!

South lane? 

We were walking to the fort to warm up I promise!!! We ran from there.

The South lane is wider than the North lane on Chappies because busses are only allowed to travel in a Southerly direction. The lane is wider heading South to accommodate the busses. You'll also see the signs at the toll booths don't even have a price for busses going North.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Yeah I try and do the same with runners. I hug the shoulder to my left as tight as possible forcing them to go around me into the oncoming traffic. They can see, I can't, they should take the risk.

That's why I try and indicate my intent early. I will point to my left and visibily move over to the left as far as practically possible.

Edit 2: Despite the fact that I can't see what's coming up behind me, the speed differential would force me into the gutter if I was on the right-hand side of the road. Imagine you're doing 30 and someone approaches at 80. That's a delta of 110. If you're going the same direction it's a delta of 50.

You road cyclists always chirp that you have right to ride in the road lane or ride abreast and occupy the road like a car. But when a universally accepted norm of walking or running against traffic is applied all of a sudden it is not in your favor and you need to be closer to the curb.

Bear in mind most runners can step up onto the curb or are happy to run in broken glass and messy road edges allowing both runner and cyclist to be closer to the curb. Yes some runners are tonsils as well, but most can take a step inwards and will take a step in to the curb. 

I agree with your gut feeling, but which way does traffic flow? I have the same issue with people and their shopping carts. You drive on the left hand side of the road, so you have to keep left. Simple really, not.

dont get me started on shopper and shopping carts  :cursing:

You road cyclists always chirp that you have right to ride in the road lane or ride abreast and occupy the road like a car. But when a universally accepted norm of walking or running against traffic is applied all of a sudden it is not in your favor and you need to be closer to the curb.

Bear in mind most runners can step up onto the curb or are happy to run in broken glass and messy road edges allowing both runner and cyclist to be closer to the curb. Yes some runners are tonsils as well, but most can take a step inwards and will take a step in to the curb. 

8duEvhY.jpg

This is what the law says:

Duties of cyclists
3. (1) A cyclist riding on a public road must—

(b) if there is no pedal cycle lane, ride—

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway; or
(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

Yes, most runners will hop onto the sidewalk and we pass in an amicable fashion giving each other a "howzit", but some are adamant to keep in the roadway, in which event I will keep as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

a universally accepted norm of walking or running against traffic is applied

Universally ? Never heard of that in France and never really noticed runners going against traffic anywhere else than in SA but I might be wrong, I wasn't cycling or running much before I moved here...

But if it's the law, that explains why !

Edited by Jbr

Universally ? Never heard of that in France and never really noticed runners going against traffic anywhere else than in SA but I might be wrong, I wasn't cycling or running much before I moved here...

But if it's the law, that explains why !

I was taught from a young age that you run or walk facing traffic

Funny you should say this. I had to shout at several cyclists this weekend to look up as they seemed more intent on their GPS than looking where they were actually going.

My gut feeling is the most vulnerable (in this case the runner) gets to hug the gutter and you need to go outside.

Almost all runners I meet gives me space and goes far outside, sometimes running on the ground. Have never had any issues with runners.