skycolour213

Hi all,

I have always wondered if a large frame 27.5 would be similar to a medium frame 29er.

basically, I fit a 29er medium frame perfectly but am looking to ungrade. All i can find are large frame 27.5s. Would this serve me the same or close to?

(I am 173cm)

Many Thanks

Hi skycolour213,

I believe it would be best to check on the different manufacturers websites for their sizing charts. There you will see if a specific frame is the correct size for you. Getting the correct size frame is very important and it will save you from a lot of issues down the line.  

Gerrie is correct.  Best to check the size chart for the brand you are considering.

Unfortunately this is the one item that was never standardised in the cycling industry.  Each brand sizing is just that bit different to the next ....

At 176cm I used a Large Scott, but use a Medium Giant ... 

I used a 27,5 as a commuter for a few years.  With the correct frame size it is a VERY nice nimble bike !!

Enjoy  :thumbup:

Hi all,

I have always wondered if a large frame 27.5 would be similar to a medium frame 29er.

basically, I fit a 29er medium frame perfectly but am looking to ungrade. All i can find are large frame 27.5s. Would this serve me the same or close to?

(I am 173cm)

Many Thanks

Why would you think thats the case? Frame sizing is based on the frame sizing, not the wheel circumference.

If you ride a large and fit a large, the wheels size will be insignificant to the fit of the bike. It will have other knock on effects, but not on the size.

A large 27.5 will likely have a similar reach to a medium 29er.....

It’s not wheel size specific but revolves around building 27.5 shorter for nimble handling. It’s not common anymore but still prevalent in some brands. So the first advise to consult the geometry charts for the bike you want to compare was important

It all depends on the brand, you could make a large work. We are similar in height I have owned a couple of large frame bikes. Upsides longer wheelbase = more stability. negative more difficult to get a perfect fit and might be more difficult to manoeuvre on the trails.

To be honest I would not buy an exclusively 650b bike anymore. Unfortunately it’s goong thevway of 26”.

It’s a an “obsolete” wheelsize in the eyes of most of the bike industry. And locally even more so.

Even Giant who swore by it have quietly turned hypocrites and changed their minds lol. The selection of tyres and stuff youll find in you local shops are also limited for 27,5 already. 650b only forks can also be had for way less than 29” ones already which is telling imo....since most of the latest 29” boost forks can basically take both wheel sizes - 27,5+ Or 29”. My advice-

I suggest you rather wait and get a frame that can take both wheelsizes or if not...go for a 29” bike...thats just way design trends went.

Edited by MORNE

To be honest I would not buy an exclusively 650b bike anymore. Unfortunately it’s goong thevway of 26”.

It’s a an “obsolete” wheelsize in the eyes of most of the bike industry. And locally even more so.

Even Giant who swore by it have quietly turned hypocrites and changed their minds lol. The selection of tyres and stuff youll find in you local shops are also limited for 27,5 already. 650b only forks can also be had for way less than 29” ones already which is telling imo....since most of the latest 29” boost forks can basically take both wheel sizes - 27,5+ Or 29”. My advice-

I suggest you rather wait and get a frame that can take both wheelsizes or if not...go for a 29” bike...thats just way design trends went.

As the OP is looking to 'ungrade' then surely an obsolete, difficult to get wheel size is perfect?  :ph34r:

OP, in all seriousness, at 1.73 you should probably not be riding a Large, regardless of wheel size. But that is a whole other topic covered many many times here.

In short, NO. 

I would even say that size charts can be misleading because some have longer legs while some have shorter arms etc. But it can be a good base to start off. 

What’s more important is reach measurement, stack and stand over height. You can also customise it based on how you want the bike to feel. Some prefer a bigger frame with short stem. For me i feel more comfortable on a smaller frame with a bigger standover height as I feel I can move around better on it. 

Wheel size have very little to do with frame size.

I have a 29er Cannondale Flash and a 27,5 Cannondale Habit. Both mediums. I fit the same on both. My 26er medium Schwinn Moab was actually longer and bigger than my 29er Flash

Hi all,

(I am 173cm)

Many Thanks

I Know this is not what you asked but you can just change the Wheels  to 27.5 "