mecheng89

Why?

To me they are more distracting and I purposely have to look away, thus distracting me from focusing on the road. The slower flashing ones are ok, the faster ones less so.

Edited by MrJacques

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cars are usually under a 1000 lumen from what I have read, they are also a far more diffused light than a spotlight. On a bike you probably don't need more that 500Lumen, I think I have never used more than the lowest setting on my bike light even in the darkest of forests on a downhill at night. Pointless blinding a driver with a 2000lumen beam and then expecting him to be able to see what he is doing past the purple dot in the center of his focus for the next minute or so to keep you safe.

To me they are more distracting and I purposely have to look away, thus distracting me from focusing on the road. The slower flashing ones are ok, the faster ones less so.

Agreed - bright AND flashing is kinda blinding.

To be seen you need less than 100 lumens flashing, To see where you are going at least 600 constant (more if you're going faster).

My problem is that the person is not looking at the road to start with, once they see the lights they panic and jump on the brakes. Which 99% of the time keeps the Jazz drivers away from me.

I have seen a few lights with pulse mode which is pretty cool. Light is constantly on but gives a little blip every now and then. Not enough to blind motorists but it does get their attention.

I have seen a few lights with pulse mode which is pretty cool. Light is constantly on but gives a little blip every now and then. Not enough to blind motorists but it does get their attention.

I use that setting on front and rear. 

The Garmin Varia seems like a nice solution, at least for warning you of someone sneaking up behind you.

This, to me, is a MUST for all cyclist.  

Cannot live without mine.

Even 3D printed myself a nice bracket for it to fit underneath the saddle.  

Why?

Because they mess with light to dark transitioning of the eye.  This is probably detrimental to your safety as a blinded driver are more likely to run you over than one that can see a solid bright light approaching.

Because they mess with light to dark transitioning of the eye.  This is probably detrimental to your safety as a blinded driver are more likely to run you over than one that can see a solid bright light approaching.

in dark conditions yes, in light conditions it attract their attention.

The Garmin Varia seems like a nice solution, at least for warning you of someone sneaking up behind you.

I love mine, I have gotten so reliant on it that if the battery dies while out riding I feel uncomfortable. I still have the old V1(whereas I think spinnekop has the V2 iicr).

Never, it's all about adjustment

All this talk about lumens, I was helping install new flood lights Ina. Building last week Thursday and Friday

Rectangular building with 20 lights (4 rows of 5 lights)

Each one of those puppies kicks out 25000 lumen

This, to me, is a MUST for all cyclist.  

Cannot live without mine.

Even 3D printed myself a nice bracket for it to fit underneath the saddle.  

Just invested in these as well, RTL515 and UT800, great devices but always have to catch myself not relying on the radar 100%.....it gives some comfort knowing when to have a confirmation glance behind without veering into traffic right on your arse!

Cool. I'll make sure the Blindeyes are set to static not strobe in future.