947 Ride Joburg

The Ouzo

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

if it was easier you would not have motivation to get fitter/stronger.

I've had many 947 over the years where I've had to simply climb off the bike for a few minutes to let the HR come down. I've sworn at the hills. I've cried on the hills.

Guess what, I'm currently the fittest I've ever been and finishing 2 hours faster than my first one, and its still not easy. Its just faster. 

Lets not drop the pass mark to 30%

I could not agree more.! I don’t want it to get easier, I want to get better.!!

😃🤙🏻

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

I saw that.! Like 35 minutes for the 35km.! 
59km/h average 
😳😳

that’s mental.. 🤣🤣🤣

THIS is why CTCT introduced a "minimum time".

Governed e-bikes wont get an average speed over 30km/h.  Which means the strong riders are faster than the ebikes in all but the steepest climbs.

Sadly a few e-bike riders are spoiling it for the rest of us.  

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Governed e-bikes wont get an average speed over 30km/h.  Which means the strong riders are faster than the ebikes in all but the steepest climbs.

Exactly.

On Sunday there would be ebikes coming past on the hills, hit the down hills or flats and we would  fly right by.

honestly in this race the only time they'd be quicker is in the lower end of the Alphabet.

Once on the M1 there would be no way a restricted e-bike could stand a chance, average speed along the M1 even half way down the Alphabet sits in the upper 40s, with some stretched seeing us sitting at over 60km/h. 

By the time we turn off the M1 they'd be so far behind i doubt they'd be able to make up the time on the climbs coming back. (which make me wonder why I was passing clearly unfit people on e-bikes on the return leg)

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Exactly.

On Sunday there would be ebikes coming past on the hills, hit the down hills or flats and we would  fly right by.

honestly in this race the only time they'd be quicker is in the lower end of the Alphabet.

Once on the M1 there would be no way a restricted e-bike could stand a chance, average speed along the M1 even half way down the Alphabet sits in the upper 40s, with some stretched seeing us sitting at over 60km/h. 

By the time we turn off the M1 they'd be so far behind i doubt they'd be able to make up the time on the climbs coming back. (which make me wonder why I was passing clearly unfit people on e-bikes on the return leg)

Possibly unlimited bikes that ran out of battery .... 

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

but what were they doing so far ahead of me ? i.e. they must have started much much earlier than me and they never passed me anywhere.

Actually I've overlooked the shorter route. It may very well have been shorted route riders.

Preparing yourself and managing your effort during hot rides is also something that you can 'train' .... Just saying

As far as 'help my traps' go I keep my thoughts to myself these days suffice to say there are many riders that genuinely need them, not as many as think they do, then there are those just getting an ego boost from it

Maar nou ja hier sit ons

20 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I noticed a guy with a spare battery in his camel-back but we still passed him going up some hill and we started in F.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

I have NEVER seen a "restricted" e-bike in SA.  😄

Reading the news report about Patrick (fallen rider), the number of recorded incidents was just 57, mostly for cramps and dehydration; 17 admitted to hospital). Seems the Zwift riders weren’t that bad on the road.

https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-nuus/gesoute-fietsryer-sterf-wyl-hy-seun-se-dood-herdenk/?fbclid=IwAR1rUq3eDNYD7rNHiSnjtWFhkKloIQ5Jt2Q4q6yXVe9dv3Zo886Yhvhb1NM

We were at our usual spot near the top of Jan Smuts. In general people seemed better prepared and the biggest factor was the heat. Quite amazing to see the houding among many people who otherwise wouldn't get a second glance from most regular riders. 

Really enjoyed my ride in C, had a bunch of riding buddies all in the group. really made it easier to hang on when the going got tough!

@Avo also noticed the guy on the E-bike. bizarre. he really should have kept out the way better. but either way not really an issue.

I incorrectly assumed C would be an easier ride. Smokes we hauled ass!

Timing issues a plenty on this race!

• 2h36 and some change for me. bizarrely my mate started maybe 15 meters behind me in the pen. we crossed the line together and according to official timing i was over a minute faster than him?
  • another oddity was i was classified as 40+ (i'm 36) just odd.
  • some of my mates got sms confirmations of there times. not for me. just odd.

we got dropped off, did the ride and then hopped on the route and road home to Fourways at a far more sedate pace. we had no intensions of sticking around the stadium. just get bad vibes there.

some people really do not train for this ride. we saw people on the side of the road lying down or sitting down taking a rest and they had not even made the first water point - long long day ahead of them if the finished. they looked absolutely shattered!

water points were great - ice water down the back and on the legs really got the juices flowing again when the temperature started to pick up!

i think they could have maybe had a little bit more food on offer.

Edited by Furbz

55 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

We were at our usual spot near the top of Jan Smuts. In general people seemed better prepared and the biggest factor was the heat. Quite amazing to see the houding among many people who otherwise wouldn't get a second glance from most regular riders. 

Yup, the heat got to me good & proper.  I stood just beyond the finish line with full on cramps in both quads for it felt like eternity to me.

Weird thing is I took all the hydration precautions but it was still not enough .... 

Plan for next year:  Loose a lot of weight and train harder & longer.

Edit:  The heat also did a number on me the previous week at Steyn City ... 🙈

Edited by TheoG

4 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Yup, the heat got to me good & proper.  I stood just beyond the finish line with full on cramps in both quads for it felt like eternity to me.

Weird thing is I took all the hydration precautions but it was still not enough .... 

Plan for next year:  Loose a lot of weight and train harder & longer.

Edit:  The heat also did a number on me the previous week at Steyn City ... 🙈

To quote my son

Less weight = Free speed

😝