What bike to take to Sedgefield?

andreas17777

Thanks everyone for the solid advice, I'll definitely take the mtb and head to the GRTP trails for a day and try sections of the 7 passes as I like endurance riding.

Thanks everyone for the solid advice, I'll definitely take the mtb and head to the GRTP trails for a day and try sections of the 7 passes as I like endurance riding.

There is nothing stopping you from riding to GRTP from Sedgefield, enjoying the trails and riding back after a slice of carrot cake and an espresso or two...

Favour the strategic use of berms mos :) There are PLENTY berms in Witfontein. People just don't make a berm for every piece of trail that might need a corner like they do here  :lol:

The trails at WF are ungraded too and that appears to make a massive difference to the local's riding. You'll see almost complete noobs heading down trails people would just ride past in CT because of their "official" grading. Sure they may walk a section or two, but who doesn't and they have the biggest damn smiles doing it :)

As I said I grew up in George (right up against the Witfontein forest in fact) I spent many many many hours traversing up and down that mountain on a old steel frame maroon red resies fiets. I think it was a Hansom.

Pity that I only rode Witfontein late last year for the first time on the same weekend coincidentally that the enduro was on. I did not participate but ja, what a jol.

To be honest though, I have always not really understood what you were going on about regarding Tygerberm and its rating, but after riding my old haunting grounds again after the advent of mountain biking got hold of that mountain, I understand you fully. Now, since then I mostly ride Jonkers (when it was still rideable) and other more techy lines. Despite having a membership board, I have only ridden there probably 4 or 5 times this year so far.

As I said I grew up in George (right up against the Witfontein forest in fact) I spent many many many hours traversing up and down that mountain on a old steel frame maroon red resies fiets. I think it was a Hansom.

Pity that I only rode Witfontein late last year for the first time on the same weekend coincidentally that the enduro was on. I did not participate but ja, what a jol.

To be honest though, I have always not really understood what you were going on about regarding Tygerberm and its rating, but after riding my old haunting grounds again after the advent of mountain biking got hold of that mountain, I understand you fully. Now, since then I mostly ride Jonkers (when it was still rideable) and other more techy lines. Despite having a membership board, I have only ridden there probably 4 or 5 times this year so far.

Yeah, we'd planned the trip there before the enduro was announced etc. So joined for it, although I'm not really a fan of enduro events.

Trails are great, such variety and also where I started riding and they really hold a special place in my heart.

I'm keen to get back to Jonkers again when more stuff opens up. it's a fair trip from the CBD to ride Canaries and Firehut (although I hear Phoenix is open again :) )

This man knows his stuff, reason I took my gravel bike. 

Would have been nice to actually ride it though!

waited for my lesson on how to put the hammer down

Honestly, skip GRTP and just go ride in George around Witfontein. There is about a 5/10min difference in the drive, but the trails are by FAR and away superior :)

So, IMO, MTB

Directions to Witfontein, please!

Contact Eugene, at cycleworkx Sedgefield and find out what rides they are doing from the shop, they have a lot a routes that you will never find if you don’t know the area. There are always an awesome bunch of guys at these rides. You can always do an extra loop when you are done with them

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! We are going on a family vacation to Sedgefield for 2 weeks during June/July. My wife and I would like to ride some of the trails as we must keep our fitness for an upcoming race.

Are the trails open at the moment or during the winter. We mostly do xc, are these trails not too technical? 100-120mm bikes..

Thanks

There are excellent gravel routes and mtb routes.

Eugene rides every day with their group. Great bunch and lekker rides

8 hours ago, figjam_sa said:

Hi guys! We are going on a family vacation to Sedgefield for 2 weeks during June/July. My wife and I would like to ride some of the trails as we must keep our fitness for an upcoming race.

Are the trails open at the moment or during the winter. We mostly do xc, are these trails not too technical? 100-120mm bikes..

Thanks

Garden route trail park is open daily and your xc bikes will be just fine 

As far as I know there’s harvesting going on at Witfontein so not all trails that side are open. The Garden Route Dam trails are all open and free to ride - download the Trailforks app which will give you a good idea of trails in the area.

Hillbillies does a great job at maintaining these trails - consider making a donation if you enjoy the trails.

AS King Crispy said. Lots of gravel roads, especially the back end of Wilderness.

Park at the Wilderness Common (great little coffee shop across the street). Awesome mix of gravel and tar going up the back of Wilderness Heights and out Hoekwill way.

Thanks gents! Maybe some of the locals want to join during that time? I'll update when we get there! Thank you