Shimano Introduces New 'Linkglide' Drivetrain Technology with Bold Longevity Claims

BaGearA

So a lot of it is a CoolHeat vs Cape Cycle systems thing?

I get that.... CoolHeat also troubled me as a business many years ago with many of their policies.

I think the 12 speed mtb stuff is rad.

It sucks when a company that represents the product ruins said product by being squonky.

I personally haven't had to warranty anything from either company. But on behalf of others CCS were always a pleasure and CH, well......

Hmmmmm it doesn't start out as a distributor vs distributor thing. Its an attitude and policy thing first. It develops into a distributor vs distributor thing depending on how the relationship is handled. One handles it badly,

Consistently and the other consistencywwell tto the best outcome. Make no mistake I've not always been happy with the outcomes but I've received better outcomes more often from SRAM and CCS. Heck even with J&j.

Parent company policy has a lot to do with it too since if customer focus and satisfaction is at the heart of what you do then it spills over to your distributors. If your customer is viewed as the cash cow then you're going to have policies that by default fob customers off. A side effect of being big and thinking not every customer is important.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gear pitches will mean shifter/chain issues, the derailleur should be fine.

I do get what you mean though, however, I think there is a place for a heavy, long lasting drivetrain in this world.

100% Agreed, it just would have been nice to throw the chain and cassette onto a 10 speed work horse one has and carry on etc. Lets see how it plays out.

It's weird.

I listened to this bloke on the Joe Rogan pod the other day, and he says, your beliefs are like a suit of clothes, they aren't you, and when you get information that changes you mind, feel free to take that suit off and wear a new one.

(This was in the context of a larger discussion around people think that their beliefs are who they are)

I used to be the biggest shimano hater around. Many posts over the years here will testify to that.

What I love most in my riding at this moment is this Ultegra gruppo I'm using. People can and should be open to new information and new ideas. Sometimes you change, sometimes you don't, but they are both ok, and you can still be.

One thing that grinds my gears about thehub is that binary seems to be the only way to live.

It's either Shimano OR SRAM.

No secret that I'm a Shimanophile but I have built a lot of SRAM eTap bikes lately and love it. I'd happily ride one if it was the only choice on a bike that I wanted.

Why limit yourself to one brand? Use the best of both. Or don't. Your choice. I'd even consider Ekar!!!

I had the same AHA! moment as you with Di2. For yours I thought it was complicated and unnecessary. Now I ride it. 

Choice and change. Two things people don't do enough of.

I used to be the biggest shimano hater around. Many posts over the years here will testify to that.

No, that was Big-H.

No. Wait .................

Does this mean that these cassettes will now last as long as the much lighter SRAM equivalents?

Maybe. But they will cost about 10 times less. I’m pretty sure that by the time SRAM release their 2022 XX1 cassette you’ll be able to pick up a full carbon MTB for around the same price.

One thing that grinds my gears about thehub is that binary seems to be the only way to live.

It's either Shimano OR SRAM.

No secret that I'm a Shimanophile but I have built a lot of SRAM eTap bikes lately and love it. I'd happily ride one if it was the only choice on a bike that I wanted.

Why limit yourself to one brand? Use the best of both. Or don't. Your choice. I'd even consider Ekar!!!

I had the same AHA! moment as you with Di2. For yours I thought it was complicated and unnecessary. Now I ride it. 

Choice and change. Two things people don't do enough of.

Hear hear.

I've used groups from sram, Shimano campagnolo, Sr Suntour, mavic and Sachs Huret before they became SRAM. Everything has an appeal and its great to try something else out. I haven't gone Rotor yet and their hydraulic 13 speed group is something I'd like to try on the mtb when it's actually ready for off road.

The reality is that once the kids came along and there is less for me to spend on mysef I have become more discerning in my choice. Service and backup are now a lot more important in the current SA economy at least it is to me. So when I get fobbed off for what should be a straight warranty I'm going to think twice about spending my money on a that brand again.

TNT1 I agree, ultegra R8000 is probably the best groupset ever

As long as warranty doesn't come into play. Performance and price are spot on. The Di2 version is a hard upsell when the mechanical group is so very good.

Is that a micro-spline ....

EDIT - On another Shimano video it looks like a standard free.body ....

Wonder what the cassette range is ...

Edited by ChrisF

Hear hear.

I've used groups from sram, Shimano campagnolo, Sr Suntour, mavic and Sachs Huret before they became SRAM. Everything has an appeal and its great to try something else out. I haven't gone Rotor yet and their hydraulic 13 speed group is something I'd like to try on the mtb when it's actually ready for off road.

The reality is that once the kids came along and there is less for me to spend on mysef I have become more discerning in my choice. Service and backup are now a lot more important in the current SA economy at least it is to me. So when I get fobbed off for what should be a straight warranty I'm going to think twice about spending my money on a that brand again.

TNT1 I agree, ultegra R8000 is probably the best groupset ever

As long as warranty doesn't come into play. Performance and price are spot on. The Di2 version is a hard upsell when the mechanical group is so very good.

Synchro mode alone is worth the money! That and the smaller levers - those bulbous mechanical levers look nasty on aero/integrated bars.

It is funny how different people have different experiences of the same thing. I have had a few Shimano warranties in my time and I can't think of a single one that was rejected or questioned.

Ok, this is probably one of the dumbest things I have seen Shimano do. 

You now have 2 different standards within the same brand and speeds. Ugh, glad this is not coming to road bikes. 

So I am in the other boat. On our tandem we currently have a bit of a mix match. We running ultegra STIs, ultegra front derailleur, a XTR rear derailleur and dura-ace chainrings. We have both ultegra and sram cassette and chains. The chains and cassettes really don't last long. I would really look to this option on the tandem but how would we shift gears???? Also they would need to make a 56 and 44 T chainring options that fits on to our FSA carbon tandem cranks. I would love to have this option but it would mean them making too many different variants for such a small market. Doubt it will ever happen.

Probably worth considering the fact that there's a whole commuter/recreational market with more general/practical riding requirements. Especially with the increase of people riding since lockdown.

Synchro mode alone is worth the money! That and the smaller levers - those bulbous mechanical levers look nasty on aero/integrated bars.

It is funny how different people have different experiences of the same thing. I have had a few Shimano warranties in my time and I can't think of a single one that was rejected or questioned.

In Europe I had the same experience which is why iI was a big fan and ended up as a brand ambassador. 

Locally the experience is completely different.

In Europe I had the same experience which is why iI was a big fan and ended up as a brand ambassador. 

Locally the experience is completely different.

Go buy the boys at Coolheat a cake and coffee - a good relationship is most of the battle won :-)

Go buy the boys at Coolheat a cake and coffee - a good relationship is most of the battle won :-)

Other end of the country :)

its a long way to deliver cake