Shimano Introduces New 'Linkglide' Drivetrain Technology with Bold Longevity Claims

BaGearA

Serious question...

Why do you hate Shimano? I'm genuinely interested as you seem to slate their products at every opportunity.

I mean, on a hardtail trail bike these make sense. I don't want a super light groupo. I want something that will last as it's a 3rd bike and built for hooning.

I am genuinely interested though in your hatred of Shimano

Sadly this part isn't hate - I am a Ridley dealer and most Ridley's with Shimano (especially GRX) are not available before Jan 2022...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly this part isn't hate - I am a Ridley dealer and most Ridley's with Shimano (especially GRX) are not available before Jan 2022...

Okay but can you really blame shimano specifically for stock shortage?

If you ordered a canyon that happened to be on the evergiven then you got another 3 weeks onto whatever lead time was given at the purchase.

Okay but can you really blame shimano specifically for stock shortage?

If you ordered a canyon that happened to be on the evergiven then you got another 3 weeks onto whatever lead time was given at the purchase.

Shimano Denmark have zero stock of cassettes, chains, rotors, pads, links, a variety of saddles and many, many other items. It is a well known fact that Shimano have a massive global shortage of stock right now.

Shimano Denmark have zero stock of cassettes, chains, rotors, pads, links, a variety of saddles and many, many other items. It is a well known fact that Shimano have a massive global shortage of stock right now.

Not unique to Shimano though. Everyone is on the back foot of the supply chain. Some may be hiding it better than others though.

Plus there's the issue with shipping containers sitting idle, in all the wrong locations. Ie, destination point for market and not at manufacturing source.

Not unique to Shimano though. Everyone is on the back foot of the supply chain. Some may be hiding it better than others though.

Plus there's the issue with shipping containers sitting idle, in all the wrong locations. Ie, destination point for market and not at manufacturing source.

Of course not and I never said it was. I just said that saying Shimano doesn't have stock is a fact not a emotion.

Of course not and I never said it was. I just said that saying Shimano doesn't have stock is a fact not a emotion.

Never alluded that you were. Simply provided some fact for perspective in an open public discussion.

Don't get so emotional

I get that. Diesel just always seems to jump at the opportunity to slate them.

I fully understand that things are difficult now. For everyone in many many areas of commerce and trade.

Suito have stopped taking orders until November 2022 so they can realistically fulfill back logs.

I guess these 'developments' had been ongoing OR might be an answer to the stock shortage in a way. If you have to sacrifice some weight but know you have lasting components, you might not be so frustrated as often while trying to replace equivalent parts?

I don't know. I am not an industry leading components manufacturer, but I feel they feel there must be a market for this.

It's not bio-pace, so it's ok in my books

I fully understand that things are difficult now. For everyone in many many areas of commerce and trade.

Suito have stopped taking orders until November 2022 so they can realistically fulfill back logs.

I guess these 'developments' had been ongoing OR might be an answer to the stock shortage in a way. If you have to sacrifice some weight but know you have lasting components, you might not be so frustrated as often while trying to replace equivalent parts?

I don't know. I am not an industry leading components manufacturer, but I feel they feel there must be a market for this.

I thought it was that other guy (who has Shitmano in his bio) that was the quintessential H8R :-)

Either way - I reckon it is a great groupset for a high mileage hardtail trainer bike or ebike that works beyond "normal scope".

More choice is always better!

Hate is a strong word when one actually owns some of their products. There was a time I was a Shimano EU brand ambassador and they could do no wrong. Lately they just seem to give those disenchanted with their product line up a lot of opportunity to slate them.

They used to be innovative.

Their products used to be almost trouble free.

Their warranty process used to be customer focused.

sadly they've gone 180 degrees.

Locally, the price fixing fiasco their distributor was so deeply participatory stung deep as I had skin in the game. Those people caused many a lot of hurt. That's not forgotten nor will it be. Will I cut of my nose to spite my face? No, but then produce a product line that's actually in line with the heritage. The current crop is just,.......crap.

The supply problems they are encountering is largely of their own making..... e-nuff said on that. 

Of the Shimano products I've owned in the last decade I've warrantied almost all of it, some declined for ridiculous reasons. Top of the range kit with a 3 yr warranty and a jockey cage seizes??!!!!

Pedals axles that snap and its my fault (must have hit a tree and tried to pull a fast one. A snapped brake pivot bolt that required my LBS to intervene as I must have tried to tighten said bolt with a tool that is only available at the factory for assembly...

The list goes on. Front derailleur, Shifters, crank arm delaminating...

Their competitors have far more reasonable warranty policies and processes  and as a result,  owning and using those parts has been painfree as a result. I've also had to warranty far fewer parts, one brake lever and one rear shock so far (in the last 10years) Since I spend a lot of time on my bikes, hassle free usage with solid and trustworthy backup is something I value, not market leadership in number of units sold or forum popularity.

So with this linkglide stuff, all i see is a backward step. This stuff is probably more focused at the e-bike market but how about improving the longevity and reliability of the Hyperglide+ components too?

Shimano has plenty of rabid h8rs out there, I don't count myself in that pool. They need to up their game and get back to what they once were. They're just too conservative and therefore behind the curve

Edited by DieselnDust

Ok, this is probably one of the dumbest things I have seen Shimano do. 

You now have 2 different standards within the same brand and speeds. Ugh, glad this is not coming to road bikes. 

I thought it was that other guy (who has Shitmano in his bio) that was the quintessential H8R :-)

Either way - I reckon it is a great groupset for a high mileage hardtail trainer bike or ebike that works beyond "normal scope".

More choice is always better!

It's weird.

I listened to this bloke on the Joe Rogan pod the other day, and he says, your beliefs are like a suit of clothes, they aren't you, and when you get information that changes you mind, feel free to take that suit off and wear a new one.

(This was in the context of a larger discussion around people think that their beliefs are who they are)

I used to be the biggest shimano hater around. Many posts over the years here will testify to that.

What I love most in my riding at this moment is this Ultegra gruppo I'm using. People can and should be open to new information and new ideas. Sometimes you change, sometimes you don't, but they are both ok, and you can still be.

So a lot of it is a CoolHeat vs Cape Cycle systems thing?

I get that.... CoolHeat also troubled me as a business many years ago with many of their policies.

I think the 12 speed mtb stuff is rad.

It sucks when a company that represents the product ruins said product by being squonky.

I personally haven't had to warranty anything from either company. But on behalf of others CCS were always a pleasure and CH, well...... 

Ok, this is probably one of the dumbest things I have seen Shimano do. 

You now have 2 different standards within the same brand and speeds. Ugh, glad this is not coming to road bikes. 

Standards?

I read it as two different wear options.

Like when I get brake pads for my car. I can get ones that stop really well at high speeds but wear out super fast, or I can get ones that aren't as good at the limit, but last twice as long. This is talking a more high end performance car, but the principle applies across the board?

Edited by TNT1

Standards?

I read it as two different wear options.

Like when I get brake pads for my car. I can get ones that stop really well at high speeds but wear out super fast, or I can get ones that aren't as good at the limit, but last twice as long. This is talking a more high end performance car, but the principle applies across the board?

Exert: Before we all celebrate too quickly, there is one small catch - the Linkglide technology, while introduced in Deore 1x10 or XT 1x11 speed as a highly durable option, is not cross compatible or retrofittable with current drivetrains due to different gear pitches. All Linkglide components will feature a logo to differentiate them from their stablemates.

I am not sure if:

1. This means you need different derailer

2. Just needs a different chain. 

3. Is just marketing BS and will work with Hyperglide stuff just fine.

Exert: Before we all celebrate too quickly, there is one small catch - the Linkglide technology, while introduced in Deore 1x10 or XT 1x11 speed as a highly durable option, is not cross compatible or retrofittable with current drivetrains due to different gear pitches. All Linkglide components will feature a logo to differentiate them from their stablemates.

I am not sure if:

1. This means you need different derailer

2. Just needs a different chain. 

3. Is just marketing BS and will work with Hyperglide stuff just fine.

Gear pitches will mean shifter/chain issues, the derailleur should be fine.

I do get what you mean though, however, I think there is a place for a heavy, long lasting drivetrain in this world.

Edited by TNT1