Tokyo Olympics: Non-Cycling

Shebeen

I hadn't realised that Luvo Monyonga had gone off the rails again.

The guy had a story of note to get to silver in Rio

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/dec/05/from-crystal-meth-to-olympic-glory-the-recovery-and-rise-of-luvo-manyonga

but his mom died, he was caught breaking lockdown regulations and I guess by implication he began using again. Maybe he was one of the athletes who was caged under hard lockdown, a direct result of not being able to train and needed something else in his system.

So obviously he didn;t inform SAIDS where he was. I'm not sure if a 4 yr ban is appropriate here, but rules are rules.

https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/exclusive-luvo-manyongas-downfall-and-his-steadfast-commitment-to-ascend-once-again-699a6249-5ace-4c1c-9acd-54bc2298ee56

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in a round about way, we sort of won another medal.

rjx6qsnckm5w3barqfdh.jpg

see that guy with the silver, wearing Peter Sagan's tracksuit?

he's a flippen jaapie!

for those who have forgotten who he is, about 15 years ago he was doing quite well but loved the US deeeeeep south (he went on an Alabama scholarship) and loved wearing camo and dedicating stuff to the us military

PGA TOUR - 2005 THE PLAYERS Championship - Wednesday Practice Round : News Photo

image.png.1a4c969bd7e67c7cdcc3c9ab472ca439.png

but he kept the Eugene Terblanche vibe on his arm

7198768_1200x.jpeg?rev=3

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

in a round about way, we sort of won another medal.

rjx6qsnckm5w3barqfdh.jpg

see that guy with the silver, wearing Peter Sagan's tracksuit?

he's a flippen jaapie!

for those who have forgotten who he is, about 15 years ago he was doing quite well but loved the US deeeeeep south (he went on an Alabama scholarship) and loved wearing camo and dedicating stuff to the us military

PGA TOUR - 2005 THE PLAYERS Championship - Wednesday Practice Round : News Photo

image.png.1a4c969bd7e67c7cdcc3c9ab472ca439.png

but he kept the Eugene Terblanche vibe on his arm

7198768_1200x.jpeg?rev=3

a clear cut case of good ridance

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

we sit on two silvers and a gold.

I can only see a possible medal from the 4x100m men, which starts on thursday.

with three making the semi final, we've surely got a shot here. (USA and GBR also had 3 at this stage,) 

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/athletics/entries-by-event-men-s-4-x-100m-relay.htm

anything else that could sneak in?

What about our 200m runners a little later today in their semi's? Maybe a chance to medal there?

27 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

What about our 200m runners a little later today in their semi's? Maybe a chance to medal there?

fair enough. munyai finished 13th in the heats, but he has a lane i guess

36 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

we sit on two silvers and a gold.

I can only see a possible medal from the 4x100m men, which starts on thursday.

with three making the semi final, we've surely got a shot here. (USA and GBR also had 3 at this stage,) 

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/athletics/entries-by-event-men-s-4-x-100m-relay.htm

anything else that could sneak in?

Its a long shot, but we have some good marathon runners (men & woman), just maybe someone can pull a "Josia Thugwane".

Edited by TheoG

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

fair enough. munyai finished 13th in the heats, but he has a lane i guess

Nevermind, 0/3 for our runners in the 200m semi's.

I had memories of Jobodwana "pushing" Bolt previously. But our athletes are just not at that pointy end of the field currently.

27 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Nevermind, 0/3 for our runners in the 200m semi's.

I had memories of Jobodwana "pushing" Bolt previously. But our athletes are just not at that pointy end of the field currently.

ja, maswanganayi is young though. think he got a tenth there.

Also, not sure even a GT semenya would have won that womens 800m anyway.

two teenagers take it

4 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

ja, maswanganayi is young though. think he got a tenth there.

Also, not sure even a GT semenya would have won that womens 800m anyway.

two teenagers take it

Would have been a great battle between Semenya and that American I think. Semenya's winning time in Rio 2016 was 1m55.28. The winning time today was 1m55.21

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

:(

Yip. That’s what happens when you have to replace one of your guys with a kid that’s been running in the US college league for the last 2 years and doesn’t even really know the guys he will be running with. 

6 hours ago, l4y3rcake said:

Yip. That’s what happens when you have to replace one of your guys with a kid that’s been running in the US college league for the last 2 years and doesn’t even really know the guys he will be running with. 

Don't believe a word of that, man. the "college kid" was in there from the start

They had two days to practice batons.

ASA been figuratively dropping batons for  years now.

On 8/3/2021 at 3:07 PM, IceCreamMan said:

That "lady" weight lifter did not qualify. 

the technical weightlifting term seems to be that she didn't qualify with a snatch to go through to the final round.

image.png.4f630108436fcd811bb2ea0b44704b13.png