Is second hand prices killing cycling??

MORNE1102

5 minutes ago, ouzo said:

The bold bit gets me. I know you meant it in jest, but I get it all the time.

Then the person wants the biggest rims with the lowest profile tyre because that is what looks good, straight away they have negated any advantage of being in an SUV on our bad roads.

But.. but .. the low profile tyres go so well with the snorkel...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

In SA, there are plenty of entry level bicycles for sale and they are available.

I fully understand the global shortage of stock, BUT here, there ARE affordable entry level bikes.

This discussion is centred around the ability to afford to 'get into cycling' and how expensive old model top range' bicycles are. If one wanted to 'get into' cycling, one has many options from TITAN, MOMSEN etc 

Maybe not AS available as they were 18 months ago, but definitely still a plethora of entry level, very passable bikes on offer

But not middle of the range.No sizes.

Not everyone wants entry level

1 hour ago, MORNE1102 said:

Why is a second hand 2013 Epic worth 35K-40k? In my very humble opinion, the second hand bike market in general is limiting the entry of a lot of south Africans into the sport. Apart from this 3rd party "2nd hand" hoard and smous vendors drive the prices up further. Its a absolute joke. 

We need a form of standardisation. 

Change my mind :) 

Broadly speaking the price of  bikes (new or used) has increased because (a) Covid impacted production rates and distribution and (b) more people have taken up riding. 

So one of the reasons driving the price up is the increased popularity of cycling. ie: cycling is not dying, it is more alive than it has ever been. 

It's just a bummer that bikes are becoming more expensive.

13 minutes ago, ouzo said:

The bold bit gets me. I know you meant it in jest, but I get it all the time.

Then the person wants the biggest rims with the lowest profile tyre because that is what looks good, straight away they have negated any advantage of being in an SUV on our bad roads.

Bigger is better in fact on an SUV or 4 x 4.Think 29er.Tsk Tsk

1 minute ago, Kranswurm said:

Bigger is better in fact on an SUV or 4 x 4.Think 29er.Tsk Tsk

not when the rubber is so thin its painted onto the rim, there is no squish to take up the shock of hitting a pothole, then you have an extremely expensive OEM only rim that needs replacing

Just now, ouzo said:

not when the rubber is so thin its painted onto the rim, there is no squish to take up the shock of hitting a pothole, then you have an extremely expensive OEM only rim that needs replacing

I am not talking about tyres.Not everyone is a moegoe as you make out

1 minute ago, Kranswurm said:

I am not talking about tyres.Not everyone is a moegoe as you make out

sounds like I touched a nerve.

Never said it was everyone

2 minutes ago, ouzo said:

No nerve.I dont have any as they are over rated

My treads are Yokahama All Terrain

7 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Anyway  stay on topic

If an oke wants a fancy bike let him buy a fancy bike.

If you want an idea how thinly spread the good bikes are look at the Hardtail Classifieds on here

Just now, Kranswurm said:

Anyway  stay on topic

If an oke wants a fancy bike let him buy a fancy bike.

If you want an idea how thinly spread the good bikes are look at the Hardtail Classifieds on here

if he wants a fancy bike he can have it, but then mustn't complain about the price.

Just about everything seems to be overpriced and understocked these days...
Thats the new world in 2021....

As for 2nd hand prices....It seems people think if they are R2,84 under the price of something new it MUST be a bargain....????

31 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Unfortunately there is a lot of uneducated "customers" that is willing to pay whatever is being asked without thoroughly knowing exactly what they even buying.  Shops/Sellers exploit this fact to the maximum.  Also there is a lot of rich dumb asses that also open there wallets wide just to be able to say I ride a spaz/trek/cannondale etc etc

I always go out of my way to shop around and search for the best price possible, new or secondhand.  It would help a lot if most can do that, will for sure drive the prices down.

While back I was asked about "entry level" bikes, prices, what to look for etc ....  the gent left me talking and talking ....

"But what can I get in Spez?"

This guy dont understand the difference between 1x12 vs 3x8 .... but it MUST be "Spez" .....

And YES, next he set about complaining about the prices of 2nd hand bikes ...

46 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There IS stock. People are just obsessed with having kit that exceeds their ability.

Much the same as school run 4x4s, cupboard bound kitchen aids, grade 5s with top end cricket bats etc....

To 'get into' cycling you can buy one of many less extravagant bicycles, new or used, at a more affordable (read reasonable) price point THAT RELATES to your skill set.

South Africans are very tri-athlete...... all the gear no idea and super proud and possessive about having XTR over SLX despite being solid mid packers that could comfortably run mid range kit..

Excess and a pride of excess in this country still suggests 'class' or social standing, despite it being completely unnecessary 99% of the time

So I have a Giant Anthem x29 (2013/2017 Frame) and a Momsen 529.... but two weeks ago I went Bike Packing with my 26" Scott Yacora with panniers (extra 9kg of gear). The bike has 3x9 Alivo and V-Breaks.

I soon realized that although it is more conformable doing the 35KM Magalies Monster on a R40k Duel-sus 29er, you can still do it on a R2K,  26",  V-break bike (like I did 15 years ago).

Weird time for cycling indeed. Both the new and used market have their barriers to entry. Education on shopping smart will go a very long way to help new riders get the right gear.

PS. May I kindly ask that people refrain from using "spaz" when referring to Specialized? It is a highly offensive and derogatory term used against people with a physical (and sometimes mental) disability. Please go with "Spez" instead. 
@admin please add it to the swear filter. 

50 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Unfortunately there is a lot of uneducated "customers" that is willing to pay whatever is being asked without thoroughly knowing exactly what they even buying.  Shops/Sellers exploit this fact to the maximum.  Also there is a lot of rich dumb asses that also open there wallets wide just to be able to say I ride a Specialized/trek/cannondale etc

I always go out of my way to shop around and search for the best price possible, new or secondhand.  It would help a lot if most can do that, will for sure drive the prices down.

The thing is that in terms of cycling here are a lot of high net worth individuals who are in to this sport as it appeals to the segment and who who are by their nature wealthy and being execs are also busy and time depleted so they dont have a great return on doing the research and solve the problem by using their wealth rather than their time.  This is the market segment the people like the Specialized and Cannondale concept shops appeal to - they are selling the lifestyle and the vision, not the technical merits of a bike. Dont knock the lifestyle shops for executing an advanced marketing strategy where they are selling value above the features of the bike.You buy in to a brand and the lifestyle that brand image espouses. You may say a fool and his money are easily parted but every luxury brand in the world exploits this aspirational quality in humans