Is second hand prices killing cycling??

MORNE1102

I think a lot of this is country specific, if you look at ebay in the us or uk the prices are much more reasonable.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Moriarty said:

I think a lot of this is country specific, if you look at ebay in the us or uk the prices are much more reasonable.

the same can be said for used cars, not many countries where used cars command premium pricing like in SA.

Resellers definitely drive the prices up. The internet means that it is very, very hard to score a bargain, and there are plenty of 'resellers' / leeches that flip anything on 2 wheels with zero understanding or care for what they're selling, creating a pretty high floor for prices. 

People need to stop blindly following the marketing departments of manufacturers. 

There really (according to my opinion, which is formed firstly by my buying power, and secondly my needs) is no reason to spend RRRidiculous amounts of money on top of the range bicycles.

To me, there is also no point in complaining about it on the hub. 

There IS stock. People are just obsessed with having kit that exceeds their ability.

Much the same as school run 4x4s, cupboard bound kitchen aids, grade 5s with top end cricket bats etc....

To 'get into' cycling you can buy one of many less extravagant bicycles, new or used, at a more affordable (read reasonable) price point THAT RELATES to your skill set.

South Africans are very tri-athlete...... all the gear no idea and super proud and possessive about having XTR over SLX despite being solid mid packers that could comfortably run mid range kit..

Excess and a pride of excess in this country still suggests 'class' or social standing, despite it being completely unnecessary 99% of the time

27 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I assume all the 'Spaz' haters shop at Pep, drive Geely's, ride Giants, wear 'Solomons' from the local China Mall...

Jou gat man, my SPEZ skoen werk lekker op my SPEZ pedale op my no-name e-bike :P

we really need comic sans font ....

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

school run 4x4s, cupboard bound kitchen aids

One - have you seen our roads...

Two - don't you dare talk ill of my kitchen cupboard dreams!

(+ another one for comic sans desperation)

Supply and Demand.

Right now we're in a Supply crisis and Demand is high so ALL prices are going up - new and used.

If value for money is your primary driver then don't buy a bike now - do some maintenance and/or upgrade and buy a bike next year when the supply shortage has eased a bit.

17 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There IS stock. People are just obsessed with having kit that exceeds their ability.

Much the same as school run 4x4s, cupboard bound kitchen aids, grade 5s with top end cricket bats etc....

To 'get into' cycling you can buy one of many less extravagant bicycles, new or used, at a more affordable (read reasonable) price point THAT RELATES to your skill set.

South Africans are very tri-athlete...... all the gear no idea and super proud and possessive about having XTR over SLX despite being solid mid packers that could comfortably run mid range kit..

Excess and a pride of excess in this country still suggests 'class' or social standing, despite it being completely unnecessary 99% of the time

There really isn't - Shimano Europe have no chains, cassettes, chanrings, brake pads etc. Giant Europe has no Defys, TCRs, Propels etc.

Bigger stores that placed pre orders have some stock but us smallies that rely on centralised stock are buying from onliners to help our customers.

There is a massive stock shortage globally. Across all brands.

1 minute ago, Eldron said:

There really isn't - Shimano Europe have no chains, cassettes, chanrings, brake pads etc. Giant Europe has no Defys, TCRs, Propels etc.

Bigger stores that placed pre orders have some stock but us smallies that rely on centralised stock are buying from onliners to help our customers.

Same here .....

Orders coming in in drips and drabs .....

Needed to replace a "cone" when servicing a wheel bearing .... NO stock !!  Mark dragged out his special box of spares and helped me out with a secondhand part. 

1 minute ago, Eldron said:

In SA, there are plenty of entry level bicycles for sale and they are available.

I fully understand the global shortage of stock, BUT here, there ARE affordable entry level bikes.

This discussion is centred around the ability to afford to 'get into cycling' and how expensive old model top range' bicycles are. If one wanted to 'get into' cycling, one has many options from TITAN, MOMSEN etc 

Maybe not AS available as they were 18 months ago, but definitely still a plethora of entry level, very passable bikes on offer

12 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

One - have you seen our roads...

Two - don't you dare talk ill of my kitchen cupboard dreams!

(+ another one for comic sans desperation)

The bold bit gets me. I know you meant it in jest, but I get it all the time.

Then the person wants the biggest rims with the lowest profile tyre because that is what looks good, straight away they have negated any advantage of being in an SUV on our bad roads.

Unfortunately there is a lot of uneducated "customers" that is willing to pay whatever is being asked without thoroughly knowing exactly what they even buying.  Shops/Sellers exploit this fact to the maximum.  Also there is a lot of rich dumb asses that also open there wallets wide just to be able to say I ride a spaz/trek/cannondale etc etc

I always go out of my way to shop around and search for the best price possible, new or secondhand.  It would help a lot if most can do that, will for sure drive the prices down.