Jump to content

Unpuncturable Inner Tube


_David_
 Share

Recommended Posts

Francis forgot the poorly executed pavement curb hop (more commonly know as the snakebite)...and clearly not "unpuncturable"...pull out the drawing pin/nail/thorn/screw/cactus and you got a flat! Fail...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone remember those orange horribly expensive tubes they peddled locally for a while? Also supposedly almost 100% puncture proof ... they failed on more than one occasion that I'm aware of and I don't really see them around anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Anyone remember those orange horribly expensive tubes they peddled locally for a while? Also supposedly almost 100% puncture proof ... they failed on more than one occasion that I'm aware of and I don't really see them around anymore. 

The normal Tubolito? I have some on my bike, haven't had any problems with them, hit a BIG pothole with them, at about 35kmh and they are still fine, got them with a set of wheels I bought, would I buy them new? No, too expensive for me....

 

I guess just because I haven't had any problems so far though doesnt mean that they aren't actually crap, just a coincidence....

Edited by Chadvdw67
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

The normal Tubolito? I have some on my bike, haven't had any problems with them, hit a BIG pothole with them, at about 35kmh and they are still fine, got them with a set of wheels I bought, would I buy them new? No, too expensive for me....

I saw 2 with big 'bubbles' and another 2 guys who got punctures ... that was when my son still had the bike shop though. I suppose considering quite a few were sold that may not actually be so bad?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pirelli & Schwalbe have their versions, but don't boast to be puncture proof.
Tougher, lighter and more compact than a normal tube. And quite a bit more expensive...

Perhaps they are useful as a spare tube for when the tubeless setup doesn't seal.

 

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/05/pirelli-launches-37-smartube-lightweight-inner-tubes/

 

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/schwalbe-promises-performance-and-durability-with-new-aerothan-inner-tubes/

Edited by splat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, splat said:

Pirelli & Schwalbe have their versions, but don't boast to be puncture proof.
Tougher, lighter and more compact than a normal tube. And quite a bit more expensive...

Perhaps they are useful as a spare tube for when the tubeless setup doesn't seal.

 

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/05/pirelli-launches-37-smartube-lightweight-inner-tubes/

 

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/schwalbe-promises-performance-and-durability-with-new-aerothan-inner-tubes/

 

I like the compact size but 500 bucks for an inner tube is just ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Latex tubes.. They are awesome.

Do they fail? Yes. Car tires get flats and they are pretty hardcore. Are they light, feel amazing and better than a normal tube, store better, age better as well as fold/roll up teeny tiny as a spare? Absolutely!

They are also only about 60% more expensive than 'expensive' normal tubes these days, so really it's just a matter of spending an extra 80zar for something that works and lasts. 2 coffee/croissant specials.

Tubeless though.... Then you only buy 1 tube as a spare so you may as well have a latex one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Latex tubes.. They are awesome.

Do they fail? Yes. Car tires get flats and they are pretty hardcore. Are they light, feel amazing and better than a normal tube, store better, age better as well as fold/roll up teeny tiny as a spare? Absolutely!

They are also only about 60% more expensive than 'expensive' normal tubes these days, so really it's just a matter of spending an extra 80zar for something that works and lasts. 2 coffee/croissant specials.

Tubeless though.... Then you only buy 1 tube as a spare so you may as well have a latex one!

Where to find latex tubes though?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, MudLark said:

Where to find latex tubes though?

A quick googlebox search showed me you can even get them on Takealot;

https://www.takealot.com/challenge-seamless-latex-inner-tube-47-5/PLID72482125?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM2QIiwZxh8zxJojmBGqB2DZktVaaytujO1IacxkAzXE3qgDnXf2tHIaAohcEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And a full list of registered stockists of Tubolito;

https://tubolito.co.za/stockists/

 

Edited by Jewbacca
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

So, you can't just blow up a condom and tie a knot in it and use like five of them per tyre?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Latex tubes.. They are awesome.

Do they fail? Yes. Car tires get flats and they are pretty hardcore. Are they light, feel amazing and better than a normal tube, store better, age better as well as fold/roll up teeny tiny as a spare? Absolutely!

They are also only about 60% more expensive than 'expensive' normal tubes these days, so really it's just a matter of spending an extra 80zar for something that works and lasts. 2 coffee/croissant specials.

Tubeless though.... Then you only buy 1 tube as a spare so you may as well have a latex one!

I'm quite a fan of tubolito's - pretty durable, light, and low rolling resistance. Cheaper than upgrading to tubeless rims on my older wheelsets, and you don't have to pump them up daily like you would with latex.

Admittedly the patch kits are hopeless, so when they do go then that's it. I've never tried to patch latex.

Quick comparison

Tubeless GP 5000 - costs R1250 a tyre; weighs 300g (+ sealant); rolling resistance 8.9W @ 100psi

Vittoria latex + GP 5000 - costs R1000+R300 = R1300; weighs 215+80 = 295g; RR 8.8W @ 100 psi

tubolito s-tubo + GP 5000 costs R1000+R550 = R1550;  weighs 215+22 = 237g; RR 9.6W @ 100 psi

What would be the price difference between 2 similar wheelsets with a 65g weight difference.

Edited by 100Tours
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TNT1 said:

First on the list is Johnson Cyle Works, and I'm pretty sure they have closed down. I question the integrity of that list.

I also checked it now and there are a few which definitely don't exist!

I did find out though that Schwalbe make a super light, super pliable, fully recyclable inner tube which looks awesome;

https://www.schwalbetyres.co.za/road/schwalbe-aerothan-700-x-35-50c-tube/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM1WBw0odPdz8SBtM-48CkMk0N9CZiKxOHZTAXOOZIrMV3V5M3MLBTQaAmrDEALw_wcB

It's expensive, but might be worth it as per 100 tours above

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

I also checked it now and there are a few which definitely don't exist!

I did find out though that Schwalbe make a super light, super pliable, fully recyclable inner tube which looks awesome;

https://www.schwalbetyres.co.za/road/schwalbe-aerothan-700-x-35-50c-tube/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM1WBw0odPdz8SBtM-48CkMk0N9CZiKxOHZTAXOOZIrMV3V5M3MLBTQaAmrDEALw_wcB

It's expensive, but might be worth it as per 100 tours above

Time to crack the credit card and embrace my inner weight weenie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

My Profile My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Settings Help Logout