Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TEW2E8XN15H2BYoizjc1Ai_bdZUZOoTgd9upzngrpUU/edit#gid=1909302869 who's the owner of this sheet ? I thought I was but now it's on read only ;)

Think it's time to updated it see who met their targets ;)

Is me!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TEW2E8XN15H2BYoizjc1Ai_bdZUZOoTgd9upzngrpUU

Right click, leave a comment, will update the actuals.

6 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Is me!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TEW2E8XN15H2BYoizjc1Ai_bdZUZOoTgd9upzngrpUU

Right click, leave a comment, will update the actuals.

mmh can't comment.

2:40:36 +2:40 so target achieved even though it was a very different race than usual, with an early break and a group staying together over chapies/suikers... kind of (contact was lost, then came back)

Surprised to have improved on last years time by 3 mins considering the neutral was a lot longer (6mins30 vs 4 mins last year), and I was very very cautious on the descents

Edited by Jbr
I can comment now !

24 minutes ago, Vishal72 said:

I use Smoove, was a bit nervous but the drivetrain performed flawlessly yesterday 

I have been using Smoove for the last few years, still use it on Maritz's bikes.

But I was told to use the Squirt on the ebike.

37 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I have been using Smoove for the last few years, still use it on Maritz's bikes.

But I was told to use the Squirt on the ebike.

No doubt that squirt lasts, but past a couple of rides with no in between chain cleaning and it will produce a "snot" in your cassette and all the hard to reach spots that needs a strong degreaser and a brush to get out, and then it doesnt really get 100% clean.

I was given a sample Q20 Qbike Dry Lubbe and have been riding with that for the last couple of months, no issues getting it off, and it lasts as long as needed between cleans and certainly did the trick in the rain for CTCT yesterday.

I see on the spreadsheet my goal was 04:15 , ended up on a 04:10. Very happy with the ride. Slow start in terrible conditions took away possibility of a sub 4, but reason enough to come back again next year

1 minute ago, Heina13 said:

I see on the spreadsheet my goal was 04:15 , ended up on a 04:10. Very happy with the ride. Slow start in terrible conditions took away possibility of a sub 4, but reason enough to come back again next year

Or October..

18 hours ago, 'Dale said:

@Long Wheel Baseand his stoker came past me purring like a Porsche GT3 passing Clifton. I was running out of gel power, hehehe.

Anyone know why so many have underreading on their ascent, including me 😇

I was spluttering like a 1962 beetle, my toppie was the one purring like a Porsche.

Sorry man, I had spare gels, would have gladly assisted. Although it was so close to the finish, not sure it would have helped.

2 hours ago, DJR said:

And broken and abandoned chains. Must have seen at least 4 in the middle of the road

Oh, and dead flattened rats, yugh! All over

I also noted this. On our Saturday ride through sea point every few metres there were flat rats.

It's so warped how there are so many homeless people sleeping on the pavement of multi million rand apartments and rats running rampant.

Does anyone know the fate of the guy who was getting CRP on the M3 before UCT at about 8:15ish. Hope he was ok?

1 minute ago, DuncanCT said:

Does anyone know the fate of the guy who was getting CRP on the M3 before UCT at about 8:15ish. Hope he was ok?

also the kid (maybe 14?) right as by the first timing matt on the n2? heard people saying that he apparently just passed out and fell off his bike. medics were attending to him but he also seemed very stlll. he was still in the position he fell. this was just before 8B...we passed him around 9:20

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

I always use wax..but i only ever really ride in the dry.
As per @Wannabe advice i cleaned our drivetrains from the wax and used white lightning wet lube which is the consistency of sticky motor oil. A drop per link and wiped the rest. Both bikes chains were still perfectly clean and silent at the end and we got blasted with rain all the way to simonstown. I really just think people use q20 or wd40 lol, or never use anything even on their 150k bikes.

I normally use squirt (which always ends up on the jocky wheels) but for yesterday's race I added a few drops of chain saw "chain and bar oil". That stuff was developed for chains operating in the harshest conditions. It looks like a cross between honey and oil and it costs less than R100 per litre.

The bike rides as smooth as butter even after a day in the rain. The chain looks black and shiny 😁. It will easily do another day like that or a month of normal riding.

Real lubricants are black, oily and greasy. If you don't want to get marks on your legs - fit a chain guard!

I started out of 2D must say the group were very well disciplined had a few hairy moments with an old toppie on an Ebike swerving on the M3 other than that, it was just staying upright, saw alot of punctures, and one oke took a tumble on little chappies. 

well done to everyone for completing somehow still got a sub 4 and was just chilling.