Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

1 minute ago, YaseenEnos said:

are those gradients the steepest sections of the climb because they seem a bit high

Ja, I think they probably are. Take them with a pinch of Strava salt.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

@silkman @Koos Likkewaan

I checked my Strava and I have the following:

De Waal Drive  - 3km 5%
Edinburgh - 2.2km 9.5%
Smitswinkel - 4.2km 10%
Chapmans (from Noordhoek Farm Village) 5.0km 10%
Suikerbos 2.0km 9%

These were recorded using a Polar V800 so are fairly accurate, but the gradient averages may differ somewhat.

Thanks Boet

1 minute ago, silkman said:

Thanks Boet

Lekker. Enjoy the ride. You should be in a for a comfortable sub 5 if you keep up a steady pace and not overdo it on the flats. My advice is to not try pull a bunch down Lady's Mile. I always seem to pick up a bunch of wheel suckers hiding behind me on that drag to Muizenberg who are seeking a hiding place from the wind behind me. I am 6'4" and look like a good wind breaker whenever I'm on tar.

That always seems to drain my battery by the time I reach Simon's Town. I've learnt to slow down a tad on the first section to Kalk Bay and from there pick up the pace somewhat.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

@silkman @Koos Likkewaan

De Waal Drive  - 3km 5%
Edinburgh - 2.2km 9.5%
Smitswinkel - 4.2km 10%
Suikerbos 2.0km 9%

These were recorded using a Polar V800 so are fairly accurate, but the gradient averages may differ somewhat.

Gradients are well off here.

My Strava says:

De Waal Drive  - 3,85km @ 2,2%
Edinburgh - 1,72km @ 5,5%
Smitswinkel - 4.2km @ 3% 
Chapmans (from Noordhoek Farm Village) 4,45km @2,9%
Suikerbos 1,86km @6,7%

Bear in mind though that Smit’s and Chappies include a downhill section which kinda makes the gradients much lower than it actually is. I would guesstimate Smit’s true gradient at around 4% and Chappies slightly more than this.

1 hour ago, silkman said:

Hope someone can help. I only ride on my trainer and am entered for the CTCT. I have an awesome FTP of 153W :), weigh 78kg, 49 years old and am pretty useless on the bike.

I am only concerned about Jan Smuts, Edinburgh Drive, Smitswinkel, Chappies and Suikerbossie.

What power over what time would I need to maintain to comfortably climb these hills (I am not worried about getting up as fast as I can just want to keep my heart rate comfortable to complete the race in 5 hours.

If anyone has the gradients and distances of these climbs, it would  be appreciated.

Thanks for any help

I

I'll answer your question, but I think you are focused on the wrong things...

If you are able to ride at threshold on Suikerbossie the 1.86km at 6.7% will take you 12min30 if there is no wind. I doubt you will still be able to mange threshold after 90km and most likely you and most of those around you will walk most of this climb and spend closer to 20min on it.

Advice for the day: Start way slower than what you instinctively want to. Since you have no group riding skills you might as well ignore the pace of everyone around you and just cruise. Enjoy the views and the water points and the crowds. Worry about time next year (or even the year after only).

Starting slow was my plan 😄

My worry is not finishing in 5 hours  it's actually just finishing. Having the figures and power output needed would set my mind at ease and likely prevent me from jumping off the bike and walking.

1 minute ago, silkman said:

Starting slow was my plan 😄

My worry is not finishing in 5 hours  it's actually just finishing. Having the figures and power output needed would set my mind at ease and likely prevent me from jumping off the bike and walking.

I'm just curious what you're riding? MTB or roadie?

and don't stress Suikerbossie too much. I have never walked it and I am definitely not the fittest bloke around.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

21 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm just curious what you're riding? MTB or roadie?

and don't stress Suikerbossie too much. I have never walked it and I am definitely not the fittest bloke around.

His self reported FTP will put him at a whisker above walking speed on that gradient if he can still do FTP efforts at that point though.

2 hours ago, 475 said:

Woke up feeling bad yesterday - worsened as the day went on. One rapid test later - Covid positive... I'm man down today. The timing seriously sucks! 

Stupid virus!

Ah disaster! To search for the silver lining... at least you got it now and not 2 weeks from now... or two weeks ago even?

You should be able to fully recover by then, just not ideal in-terms of training - but hey, you don't gain much within the 2-3 weeks leading up to the event 😃

Anyone have any info on the post race festivities? Is there anything happening or is it just collect your medal and go home?

I see they suits decided that the junior argus was too much effort again.

is there any demand to stage an unofficial one in the area? set up a course, mass group ride. and then go to waterfront or something?

4 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

@silkman @Koos Likkewaan

De Waal Drive  - 3km 5%
Edinburgh - 2.2km 9.5%
Smitswinkel - 4.2km 10%
Suikerbos 2.0km 9%

Time to trade that polar for a Garmin. You'll get better accuracy 😉

*comic sans*

3 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Time to trade that polar for a Garmin. You'll get better accuracy 😉

*comic sans*

I couldn't agree more. The flattery is bat and the HR is all over the place, and lately my rides are spotty in terms of GPS tracking with sections showing that straight jarring line mess. I have stopped using it and to be honest I am not even 100% sure where it even is at this moment.

Just not sure what to get in its stead. I don't want to break the bank on a replacement. For now I am recording using my phone which I actually want to stop doing as I nearly killed it over the weekend tackling rocks while descending Black Rhino 1 at Contermanskloof after I suddenly found myself flying over the bars after the front wheel pulled the ejection seat lever on my behalf. . .

5 hours ago, 475 said:

Woke up feeling bad yesterday - worsened as the day went on. One rapid test later - Covid positive... I'm man down today. The timing seriously sucks! 

Stupid virus!

All the best with the recovery. I got it 3 weeks ago. Only had fever and severe tiredness for one day. So the actual symptoms weren't with me for long. Lost my taste for about 3 days (after I finished isolation; go figure)

But now. HR still shoots sky high while doing the most mundane tasks, like taking a shower and washing my hair. Haven't been able to do any worthwhile training at all. Tried 30 minutes on the trainer. 50% FTP easy ride results in Z5 heart rate.  Next day I have a Whoop recovery score of 26%. I'm completely gutted. Hoping for a miracle improvement this week.

Just hang in there and get your health back. Don't rush things. Think the long game.