Castelli SA / Roubaix Cycle Traders Poor Service

davidtinker

1 hour ago, Rock Guy said:

Should have probably read this thread before ordering from Castelli.

Noticed a hole in the spandex on a brand new bib short, wearing it for the first time yesterday on the ITD. I'm not very optimistic on how the warranty replacement "experience" will go down.

image_67143937.JPG

What material is this? Just being honest here but that does not look like great quality. Compare that to assos and you’d never find a hole like that. Its just feels more premium.

58 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

What material is this? Just being honest here but that does not look like great quality. Compare that to assos and you’d never find a hole like that. Its just feels more premium.

It's supposed to be some fancy pants new lighter weight material. You can ready the marketing blurb here: https://www.castelli.co.za/products/black-november-2-pair-deal-castelli-superleggera-bib-2020-21-black-bib

First time I'm trying Castelli So I had no idea what the quality would be like. Maybe it lasts, maybe it doesn't. The fact that it arrived pre-punctured certainly does not inspire confidence though. 

Which Assos bibs would you recommend for road cycling?

11 minutes ago, Rock Guy said:

It's supposed to be some fancy pants new lighter weight material. You can ready the marketing blurb here: https://www.castelli.co.za/products/black-november-2-pair-deal-castelli-superleggera-bib-2020-21-black-bib

First time I'm trying Castelli So I had no idea what the quality would be like. Maybe it lasts, maybe it doesn't. The fact that it arrived pre-punctured certainly does not inspire confidence though. 

Either Mille or Equipe depending on your body shape.

Equipe is a tighter/racier fit so perfect if you are slim with no tummy. 

Mille is slightly roomier so probably better for most people. The Mille GT which is the entry level one can be picked up for around R2.5k marked down and it’s the best value for money bib out there in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Rock Guy said:

Just looking at that link now. I mean 5k is a lot of dough to spend on castelli. If you’re willing to spend that amount then Assos all the way.

47 minutes ago, Rock Guy said:

I see you are the Western Cape.

Take a drive to Rapid Sports.  Have a look at their range.

I have an Assos bib that I use for long rides.  For Trans Augrabies I bought another cycling short from Rapid Sports.

Day 1 - 82km - Rapid Sports

Day 2 - 88km - Assos

Day 3 - 55km - Rapid Sports

I have also used the two brands on consecutive days with long rides during training.

The one really feels as good as the other. 

Quality, hundreds of washes, etc ...  so far so good on both brands

I have even had a bad tumble while wearing Rapid Sports top and pants.  Blue and purple and the pants, even some roasties, but no damage to the pants.  Top has two small marks on the shoulder.

Well worth a try :thumbup:

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

I have an Assos bib that I use for long rides.  For Trans Augrabies I bought another cycling short from Rapid Sports.

Day 2 - 88km - Assos

I have also used the two brands on consecutive days with long rides during training.

I have even had a bad tumble while wearing Rapid Sports top and pants.  Blue and purple and the pants, even some roasties, but no damage to the pants.  Top has two small marks on the shoulder.

Thanks for the advice

I'll go check them out. They're not too far from where I work either.

On 10/4/2023 at 11:13 AM, Rock Guy said:

Should have probably read this thread before ordering from Castelli.

Noticed a hole in the spandex on a brand new bib short, wearing it for the first time yesterday on the ITD. I'm not very optimistic on how the warranty replacement "experience" will go down.

image_67143937.JPG

The response I've received from Castelli SA on the matter has been somewhat disappointing so far:

"Just from my side – at 1st glance, the fabric has 100% been caught on something prior to the training session. This as we know can happen with the smallest sharp object catching the fabric at any time."

Waiting on a response from Castelli Italy, but if the local rep basically thinks you're a scamster (and that all bibs are presumably made of delicate parchment paper) it does not bode well.

On 10/4/2023 at 2:38 PM, ChrisF said:

Day 2 - 88km - Assos

Been a long time since I had anything from rapid, but hey they are still around so who am I to judge. I would consider them and Assos to be on opposite ends of the spectrum.

On 10/4/2023 at 1:42 PM, Rock Guy said:

Do yourself a favour and buy a set of the Ciovita Apex Series bibs. Around R3k. I was a huge fanboy of Assos (still have 6 pairs but they're for MTB or IDT now) but they got too short for me over time. I have ridden Castelli, Rapha and Nalini bibs and these Ciovita Apex ones are excellent. Long legs, grippy hems, tight fit (which is good) and have lasted well.

50 minutes ago, Tomik said:

Do yourself a favour and buy a set of the Ciovita Apex Series bibs. Around R3k. I was a huge fanboy of Assos (still have 6 pairs but they're for MTB or IDT now) but they got too short for me over time. I have ridden Castelli, Rapha and Nalini bibs and these Ciovita Apex ones are excellent. Long legs, grippy hems, tight fit (which is good) and have lasted well.

Thats good to hear quality has improved. i am a big fan of their tops

last few sets of Ciovita Bibs i had collapsed in 6 months. talking 2020ish

went to Assos and never 3 years later i am still happy with my bibs.

I wonder if Ciovita changed something?

2 hours ago, Tomik said:

How does the sizing of the Apex compare to Assos ? For eg the Mille GT series? Is it comparible or do you go 1 size up? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Tomik said:

After two Corsa Bibs I am staying way clear of ciovita ....

@Nickyr  Well worth noting there are a few threads on the Hub about the inconsistent sizing of Ciovita.  Best to try it on before putting any money down.  AND ... if a S or M fits perfectly, the next of the same size fits differently ....