Castelli SA / Roubaix Cycle Traders Poor Service

davidtinker

Read the post and decide for yourself what you think of their service ... I am just telling the sad story because I am somewhat annoyed and maybe I can save some people some money and trouble ..

On the 16th of August I ordered "CASTELLI Free Aero Race 4 Men's 2021 Bibshort" Large for R2770 all in. Bib arrived, fits well, all good.

On the 25th of September I ordered "CASTELLI Free Aero Race 4 Bibshort Team" Large and some other stuff for R3837. Stuff arrived, I checked the product and size and tossed it in the cupboard. A few days later I decided to wear the new bib. Way too small in-spite of also being a "Large" and also "Free Aero Race 4 Bibshort". Thats annoying as I thought I was getting the same bib.

I emailed them and paid R220 to send the bib back for a credit. Paying R220 for a return is little annoying but it is in the T&C's so ok. They said they would have more of the original bib I ordered in Nov. Popped the bib with all tags attached into a ziplock back and gave it to the courier.

Response: "I am sorry but we will unfortunately not be able to accept the return if you don’t have the original packaging, as per our terms and my original email. We will courier the return back to you tomorrow."

It seems if you don't keep the original plastic bag you can't do a return. Thats also in the T&C's but really? Radically different sizing for "Large" of the "same" product and they reject the return on a technicality?

I queried this, response: "Again thanks for the reply. No we do not have Castelli bags lying around as each Castelli bag has a bar code and label specific to the model and size of the particular item."

They have offered to refund my R220 but thats it. Now I need to find somewhere else to buy cycling clothing online and am stuck with an expensive bib I can't use.

so not really poor service you just dont like the T&Cs (that you agreed to) so now you going online to moan and trash them ...you messed up dude just own it ????

Selling a product with almost the same name as another product but much smaller sizing is good service? Thats almost guaranteed to trigger returns at R220 cost to customer each. I didn't keep the bag because it didn't occur to me that the bib would be much smaller.

I stand to be corrected but I think in order to get a money refund (not a warranty claim or a repair) then you need the original packaging?

(Lesson learnt here is a similar one I had this week...Had to send my Corsair mouse back for a RMA...
Not a problem...got a cheapy R150 mouse about a year ago as a spare that I keep in my laptop bag.
Unfortunatley right out of the box it didnt work...
I should have checked that it works as soon as I received the spare mouse....)

Edited by Mojoman

really. a label and a plastic bag is their reason. thats such rubbish.

tell them to keep the bag from the replacement bibs and ship the bibs ex the bag to you. - i am willing to bet the barcode and labelling on the packet is not individual for each and every bib manufactured but rather just for sizing issues. They have no reason to make each label individual. 

this is a really easy issue to fix on an expensive product that should have quality controls in place to ensure a large is always the same size. 

as an alternative option why not get hold of Castelli international and see what their thoughts are on the matter. that would be my next step.

It may be in the Ts&Cs but you'd think a bit of discretion would be used. If it was two months later - understandable, enforce the Ts&Cs. A few days after receiving the order - I'd be a bit grumpy too. 

I never keep the original packaging when I order clothing online, seems I need to start keeping it

Also ordered a bib shorts from Castelli as well as a new pair of gloves.

When the package arrived I noticed it was a woman's bib shorts instead of the men's that I ordered. Emailed back, they sent a courier to collect the incorrect bib shorts. I tracked the parcel, it was delivered. Emailed them to ask if everything is in order. I am still waiting for a reply.

I guess I paid for a bib shorts and "received" nothing. Probably will have to go to the consumer ombudsman.

Hi there,

I am so sorry for the error, herewith is the waybill for the courier to collect today and we will send you the new bibshort.

Please could I ask that you make sure all labels are attached and that the bib is in the original packaging.

Apologies once again for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Castelli SA Sales/Admin

On 10/22/2021 at 9:56 AM, davidtinker said:

Read the post and decide for yourself what you think of their service ... I am just telling the sad story because I am somewhat annoyed and maybe I can save some people some money and trouble ..

On the 16th of August I ordered "CASTELLI Free Aero Race 4 Men's 2021 Bibshort" Large for R2770 all in. Bib arrived, fits well, all good.

On the 25th of September I ordered "CASTELLI Free Aero Race 4 Bibshort Team" Large and some other stuff for R3837. Stuff arrived, I checked the product and size and tossed it in the cupboard. A few days later I decided to wear the new bib. Way too small in-spite of also being a "Large" and also "Free Aero Race 4 Bibshort". Thats annoying as I thought I was getting the same bib.

I emailed them and paid R220 to send the bib back for a credit. Paying R220 for a return is little annoying but it is in the T&C's so ok. They said they would have more of the original bib I ordered in Nov. Popped the bib with all tags attached into a ziplock back and gave it to the courier.

Response: "I am sorry but we will unfortunately not be able to accept the return if you don’t have the original packaging, as per our terms and my original email. We will courier the return back to you tomorrow."

It seems if you don't keep the original plastic bag you can't do a return. Thats also in the T&C's but really? Radically different sizing for "Large" of the "same" product and they reject the return on a technicality?

I queried this, response: "Again thanks for the reply. No we do not have Castelli bags lying around as each Castelli bag has a bar code and label specific to the model and size of the particular item."

They have offered to refund my R220 but thats it. Now I need to find somewhere else to buy cycling clothing online and am stuck with an expensive bib I can't use.

no that's total bollocks.

surely this is a sizing error. if I go to

https://www.castelli.co.za/collections/bottoms-mens/products/castelli-free-aero-race-4-bibshort

This is the size chart, and it's the same one for the "team" version.  my guess is they sent you a Small with a Large label 

size-chart_WEB_man_1_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1629901438

Either way, what a bunch of palookas hiding behind some Ts and Cs. Thanks but I will be skipping castelli locally. lots of options out there and if that's how they want to treat repeat customers then we should all vote with our wallets.

They don't care about consumers. From a customer experience poitn of view they making the brand look bad with their non-Shalon attitude.

They just in it to make money on the left over product from the northern hemisphere. (Mostly)

From personal experience they operate as a clearance store and carry the same T's and C's as a clearance store has.

Had a similar issue with Castelli sizing on their bibs. No way does a M fit an 84 waist as per the size chart - it's way too small, more like a 78 waist. Properly squashes the package. And their Giro Italia tops are too big. So I'm pretty annoyed too with the inconsistent sizing but I just sold all the items in the classified. Sounds like that was the easier route than dealing with them.

But to the guys punting Assos, my issue with them is that they've slowly gotten shorter over the years. I have two of their near top range (can't recall model name) and they're like hot pants. So am also looking for alternatives.

4 minutes ago, Tomik said:

Had a similar issue with Castelli sizing on their bibs. No way does a M fit an 84 waist as per the size chart - it's way too small, more like a 78 waist. Properly squashes the package. And their Giro Italia tops are too big. So I'm pretty annoyed too with the inconsistent sizing but I just sold all the items in the classified. Sounds like that was the easier route than dealing with them.

But to the guys punting Assos, my issue with them is that they've slowly gotten shorter over the years. I have two of their near top range (can't recall model name) and they're like hot pants. So am also looking for alternatives.

i'm 171cm tall and the latest Assos bibs i find slightly long....

you must be super skinny with a short torso and long legs

9 minutes ago, Furbz said:

Guess so. 184cm, 69kg. Wear a M in Assos. Rest of the bib fits really well, but perhaps my legs are skinnier than most. 

2 hours ago, Furbz said:

It depends which model you opted for. The latest S9 versions this is true. If you opt for Evo it caters for slightly more volume and then the Mille caters for a ...er....wider ....range of cyclists...

• 1 year later...

Should have probably read this thread before ordering from Castelli.

Noticed a hole in the spandex on a brand new bib short, wearing it for the first time yesterday on the ITD. I'm not very optimistic on how the warranty replacement "experience" will go down.

image_67143937.JPG