Rim repair

Kerchak

Morning

Is this repairable or should I start looking for a replacement rim. If repairable, any recommendation in the Pretoria area. Spoke tear out of rim.

Thanks 

20211110_071742.jpg

20211110_071757.jpg

also have the same question...what do you guys think?

canI just carry on riding it and keep a close eye on it?

image1.jpeg.3151c5b32f64ce02f9bbfdb8cb2a8523.jpeg

image0.jpeg.5023aeb27ee8d34723a1b025dea190dc.jpeg

6 minutes ago, guidodg said:

also have the same question...what do you guys think?

canI just carry on riding it and keep a close eye on it?

image1.jpeg.3151c5b32f64ce02f9bbfdb8cb2a8523.jpeg

image0.jpeg.5023aeb27ee8d34723a1b025dea190dc.jpeg

That rim is ded

It might hold up for a while but you'd likely find it finally gives up the ghost at the furthest point from convenience leaving you in a spot of bother.

In both instances, replace is the only option.

Edit:  If anything else on a bike fail while riding, you might have a chance to stop safely, if your rim fail, you will probably end up eating dirt or tar.

Edited by TheoG

the Italian manufacturer [Spacebikes] just replied to my email and said it would be around 50 euro to repair...it is in a spot where the spokes do not pull and is easy to repair....will ask the local repair guys here in Cape Town:)

he said they just put some carbon fibres laid up on the hole and redrill the hole..

it is a different story if the crack is on a spoke hole..

I fixed my rim which a spoke had pulled with prattley steel putty. It lasted quite a while (it was on a 26er Stans Flow rim). Have moved onto a 29er now so can't tell you how long it lasted as the bike is now hanging in the garage semi-retired. But was used for at least 6 months and still going strong.

Never.Ever.Ever repair something like this. If you hit a bump and the rim falters you will get hurt, maybe badly. It will happen when you least expect it because you will 100% forget about it. Did a Knysna race many years ago where a guy died because he welded his fork crown or something. Fork top took his whole lower straight off.

Just don't. A rim is not that expensive

thanks for the reply guys...so where in Cape Town can I get this done?

Also obviously involves the wheel rebuild..