2022 Scott Spark 970 vs Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy

Stephen25

Hi Guys,

I’m looking at upgrading to a new bike within the R45k price range.

I’ve narrowed it down to the 2022 Scott Spark 970 and the 2022 Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy. Any opinions on which one to go for? Unless there is another option I should consider? 

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Not sure on the spec of the treks mentioned above, but between the stumpy and the Scott, my money would be on the stumpy, purely due to much better fork. Stumpy has a RS 35, which is miles and miles stiffer than the judy with 32mm (or is it 30mm?) Stanchions. 

Other specs between them is much of a muchness.

Depends what riding you are looking to do. The Stumpy is more of a trail bike that will climb well, but be a riot on the downs, whilst the Spark is more of a marathon type bike and will climb like a beast, but not be quite as composed on the downs. The deciding factor will be stock availability. I don't think either bike is available locally at the moment, so you might be waiting for a while to get a bike. Others to look at, Giant Trance 29, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Fuel EX, Specialized Epic Evo, Norco Fluid and Merida One Twenty. By no means an extensive list, but all worth having a look at

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

This is the bargain of the year!!!

Just message and find out, it is a brand new bike donated by a shop, so they may be able to get the XL, if there is stock anyway

With the Scott Spark I would say rather look at the 960, that has Shimano Deore groupset, compared to the 970 which has SRAM SX which is just kaka

Scott - rather go Genius which is a MUCH better bike than the Spark.

Spez Stumpy is a solid bike that will not let you down. 

Both the Genius and the Stumpy are raucous trail stompers that have no fear of pointing downwards and love getting rowdy.

Spark - much less so

14 hours ago, Stephen25 said:

Hi Guys,

I’m looking at upgrading to a new bike within the R45k price range.

I’ve narrowed it down to the 2022 Scott Spark 970 and the 2022 Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy. Any opinions on which one to go for? Unless there is another option I should consider? 

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Edited by JJason
advise already given in other comments 20 times