What have you 3D printed for your bike?

Blokeonabike

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/14/2022 at 1:55 PM, Sid the Sloth said:

Seems like it was a success. Thanks for the help Jono! 

Update: Unfortunately it lasted about 5 rides until the plastic started separating from itself underneath. I have put the second one on for now, but I suspect that will meet its end soon too, and then I will have to find another solution. 

30 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Update: Unfortunately it lasted about 5 rides until the plastic started separating from itself underneath. I have put the second one on for now, but I suspect that will meet its end soon too, and then I will have to find another solution. 

Is it a mount that you stick on your Garmin? i bought one online long ago that is stuck on my old phone, used to use that phone as a gps… i even thing I bought it from the hub 😅

9 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I assume it was printed with PLA? Might be worth trying a stronger filament like PETG, or printing vertically (or at an angle) so the layers don't run parallel to the main forces applied to the part. 

9 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Try looking at "DogEarsGps". Unfortanaetly I would think most diy printing options for gps mount's are not goint to last long as compared to the manufacturing process used in making the origional oem mounts. If you could find someone with a resin 3d printer that might work.

Printed some flat inserts for my SPD pedals for trips to the shop. I'm a little sceptical of how long they'll last, but they seem fairly solid and I'm not going to be putting massive Watts through them, so will see... 

IMG_20220430_175117-01.jpeg

IMG_20220430_175155-01.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2022 at 6:03 PM, MongooseMan said:

Printed some flat inserts for my SPD pedals for trips to the shop. I'm a little sceptical of how long they'll last, but they seem fairly solid and I'm not going to be putting massive Watts through them, so will see... 

IMG_20220430_175117-01.jpeg

IMG_20220430_175155-01.jpeg

How did these hold up?

22 minutes ago, Jono said:

How did these hold up?

They're still going strong.

Done at least 10 trips to the shops on them, no issues thus far.

Good to hear. Honestly I was a bit skeptical about them lasting!

Machined some a while back after 3d printing the prototype. Wanted them for messing around on the bike with my kids. The one issue I had was the pedal rotating towards the ground when I took my foot off, as the side with the platform is heavier. I'll try find a pic, or take one later when I'm home.

Edited by Jono

3D Printing has advanced significantly in the past few years. There are HP 3D printing machines in the country that do a good quality print in a variety of materials that outperforms FDM prints for longevity and finish quality. Using PA12 as an example: it has 20% elongation at break, which means it doesn't just snap like a lot of the FDM type prints struggle with. 

I have no business interest in any of these kinds of ventures, but if you guys want contact details to trial some prints, private or business use, just drop me a PM and I'll send them to you. The prices are very reasonable.

We use these prints in our company for Prototypes and also for a couple of parts that are installed in our final product that goes to the customer.

HP MJF 3D Printing Service | Multi Jet Fusion | HP 5210

HP-PA12-Datasheet.pdf

What I love about 3D printing is the 'see a problem' try out a few things and pretty quick you've solved it ... I mean I only thought about position of the Garmin on my TT bike this morning and off to ride with the 'prototype' in a few minutes time. 

20 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

What I love about 3D printing is the 'see a problem' try out a few things and pretty quick you've solved it ... I mean I only thought about position of the Garmin on my TT bike this morning and off to ride with the 'prototype' in a few minutes time. 

Just remember the safety lanyard....