What have you 3D printed for your bike?

Blokeonabike

18 minutes ago, sawystertrance said:

Thanks. Gluing was my first thought but I have seen many posts saying that glue does not hold on that plastic. I even thought of Pratley's putty or Sugru.

Any suggestions for a glue to use?

@  sawystertrance - I suspect that the super glue wont hold because of the plastic properties of the glasses frame. A way around it will be to use bicarb of soda as a binding agent when you use superglue (in short, it gives the glue something to hold onto). Caution though, its messy and doesnt always confirm to how you envisage it. But once its dry you can use your wife's emmery board to sand down the offending highspots of glue/bicarb

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. May have to add some ink for colour though. And I'm just concerned that, if it doesn't work, I'll be worse off than before I started.

I wouldnt add ink as it will disolve the powder, but any dark dry powder can work.

edit: The brand is Q-bond that you're looking for. It comes with the dark colour powder you're needing. The ripoff artists at builders sell it, as do most local hardwares and midas/autozones too

Edited by 117

Yip - google can also give you pointers as to how much bicarb to use. Caution though - its pretty instant in drying so make sure your ducks are in a row 

Above: Q-bond avaiable in most hardware/autoshops comes with the dark powder you might prefer. 

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

Thanks so much. And I just mix this with a little  bicarb of soda? 

super glue with bicarb, Q-Bond does not need the bicarb.

but if you go super glue route get decent quality super glue. If you can get hold of the stuff WURTH sells then get it, its WURTH it.

2 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

I broke the left side left of my now-out-of-production Oakley Fives. Do any of you guys think it is possible to print a replacement? Photos below:

Oaks1.jpg

Oaks2.jpg

I'll approach that repair as follws;

Drill a 1mm hole 8mm eaither side to line-up and glue in with super glue.

Then line the two sections up, super glue, sprinkle baking powder and connect. Let dry, sand and paint.

Other option is check the local opometrists 

I print plenty of tools and bits for my bike, bearing press for pivot bearings, internal routing kit using a shift cable inner, bolt bullet assembly guides, even spacers, chainguide up front and a whole bunch more

4 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Thanks. Gluing was my first thought but I have seen many posts saying that glue does not hold on that plastic. I even thought of Pratley's putty or Sugru.

Any suggestions for a glue to use?

A bit of duct tape

image.png.275ac151dfc84754bbba2292fc9ae214.png

Heavy-Duty Duct Tape - Silver (50m x 4.8cm)

Edited by Hairy

Jono, I might also have to make a request for your help if my glueing attempts don't work out, if that's OK with you. I can pay cash....haha 

2 hours ago, nox1111 said:

I print plenty of tools and bits for my bike, bearing press for pivot bearings, internal routing kit using a shift cable inner, bolt bullet assembly guides, even spacers, chainguide up front and a whole bunch more

Pictures man! Pictures! :)

2 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

Jono, I might also have to make a request for your help if my glueing attempts don't work out, if that's OK with you. I can pay cash....haha 

That's a whole different story to printing a file you can download from thingverse!