What have you 3D printed for your bike?

Blokeonabike

Not sure if I have posted this before ... A mate wanted to fit Di2 to his TT bike but it had a mount for an external battery and no real space for an internal battery inside the aero seat post. He wanted an internal battery!

I designed this from scratch, did have to print a few 'prototypes' to get it right but he's done a few rides already and all good 😎

IMG-20220412-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220412-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220412-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20220412-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220412-WA0005.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered if you could print the front part of a foot and insert it into your shoe to help stretch a slightly small shoe (that you love and really want to wear).

Would have to scan the foot (obviously). The old fashioned word is a shoe tree (stretcher).

Any thoughts?

For the Cannondale Supersix there is space at the front of frame for the front brake line if you are that way inclined to put disc brakes on a road bike. If you dont have discs, you can use this space to route your gear cables through this and into the frame.

To do this however, one requires a cable stop somewhere, so 3D printed a cable stop where the junction box normally goes. 

Had a Savage 3D print these up for us, we have been through 3 versions and this one has now lasted 9 months, but I see it starting to crack a little. Will replace with a new one when re do the cables at next services.

E2TCqM_XoAEuQ9W.jpg.64652b7a1542fd8be1dac933430b3d1b.jpg

This was version 1, we have changed print direction and the depth of the stop.

E2TCqNAWEAAwrrf.jpg.315aee45ec968120e73f2515a6a14b71.jpg

Its a littel tricky but you can see the routing.

E2TCqM_WQAIv-1L.jpg.6cfe9754b109424732a4b969a8263df7.jpg

Pretty sure I was trying to get the cable out the BB here.

E8BvucDX0AMgNlF.jpg.994e39802bdc933d9bc21fd8f71cee97.jpg

End result: no visible cables. 

Apologies for no NSFW warning...

Just now, Pure Savage said:

For the Cannondale Supersix there is space at the front of frame for the front brake line if you are that way inclined to put disc brakes on a road bike. If you dont have discs, you can use this space to route your gear cables through this and into the frame.

To do this however, one requires a cable stop somewhere, so 3D printed a cable stop where the junction box normally goes. 

Had a Savage 3D print these up for us, we have been through 3 versions and this one has now lasted 9 months, but I see it starting to crack a little. Will replace with a new one when re do the cables at next services.

The cables normally enter the frame at that spot from the outside.

supersix-evo-ultegra-cashmere-1010755.jpg.021a281113e0daa58a5dc184ac34c4c0.jpg

Excuse the disc brakes.

48 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Use a suitable material for the print, perhaps something like ABS or a material that is well suited to UV exposure it should improve the longevity.

3 hours ago, warick_wrx said:

Use a suitable material for the print, perhaps something like ABS or a material that is well suited to UV exposure it should improve the longevity.

That last revision was printed with PETG. 

The problem with that part wasn't so much UV exposure causing breakage but rather the various forces in play on the 3D printed part when in use and to find the maximum part strength using the print directions, infill settings, design etc (Filament strength is just one part of the puzzle to consider).

The big thing is to always try and find a way to avoid force being applied in such a way that it would easily break the adhesion layers apart which is any 3D print's weakness.  When it comes to actual functional parts finding a balance between strength, function and aesthetics is not always an easy thing to achieve.  Sometimes it boils down to that age old problem of you can only pick 2 of the 3. 

19 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

I always wondered if you could print the front part of a foot and insert it into your shoe to help stretch a slightly small shoe (that you love and really want to wear).

Would have to scan the foot (obviously). The old fashioned word is a shoe tree (stretcher).

Any thoughts?

A shoe tree is dirt cheap, but if you really want to do the scan, print and stretch the shoe, why not. Like you I like a process that ends well.

I did a quick search and they cost as little as a bid on BidorBuy or R300 for a fancy new one

4 hours ago, Ed-Zulu said:

A shoe tree is dirt cheap, but if you really want to do the scan, print and stretch the shoe, why not. Like you I like a process that ends well.

I did a quick search and they cost as little as a bid on BidorBuy or R300 for a fancy new one

The shoe tree isn't (unfortunately) in the shape of one's own foot. Take the back part of the shoe tree and attach your own foot shape to the front...and you've got a winner.

11 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

@Jono thanks for sorting me out! 

Garmin quarter turn mount repaired after almost a month of elastic band bodging it. 

I will report back after the test run tomorrow. 

8956AD54-8881-4643-838F-0A07D21F0B01.jpeg

5CC00B27-BAF8-4AFB-A996-AEB1BC0CBA89.jpeg

78344738-FDA4-4F26-82CB-B39126DBD822.jpeg

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Forgot to mention, the reason it is white is because that is what was in the printer! Looks good though.

Can someone print me the insert / mount for a Garmin, similar to this? I do have the mount, but the plastic mount/insert was repurposed to fit on a Integral Stem Handlebar on my bike that I sold.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtaKP_7uyPrS7aRsy9KtnYbhB8t5GkzNVM63zy1plXNEvyLDkG7Y7pMXa3P71rTuOs_a7viPAHJyFXFUDRI23MksyiEDrgtdF87Fli6401_OZPp3oW-a2s&usqp=CAE