Giro D'Italia 2024: Chirps, Buzz and Updates

'Dale

6 minutes ago, babse said:

where is this top contenders beyond Poggie?

👀

The top contenders' list is based on recent performances, aka points earned.
image.png.84405702655e5abcc4a27f5daaaeb1fb.png

Wout Poels has the potential to podium, if he rides within himself and keeps his powder dry. However, I see Antonio Tiberi has been designated bib #211 (team leader), and there's also Damiano Caruso, so Wout has less chance. Let's see.

Ben O'Conner and Bardet would be the other notable podium contenders, along with the older man in Geraint Thomas (who also needs to keep away from trouble).

As I say, let's see.

image.png.a6f21d10d69af7e6c6fff19471f85998.png

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

The top contenders' list is based on recent performances, aka points earned.
image.png.84405702655e5abcc4a27f5daaaeb1fb.png

Wout Poels has the potential to podium, if he rides within himself and keeps his powder dry. However, I see Antonio Tiberi has been designated bib #211 (team leader), and there's also Damiano Caruso, so Wout has less chance. Let's see.

Ben O'Conner and Bardet would be the other notable podium contenders, along with the older man in Geraint Thomas (who also needs to keep away from trouble).

As I say, let's see.

image.png.a6f21d10d69af7e6c6fff19471f85998.png

I think most riders in the top 20 lost have a realistic chance to get a good result if they ride smart. I can't remember the field being so wide open for a podium spot in a grand tour since I started following pro cycling around 12 years ago.

26 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

There’ll be rain, snow, sun, and anything can happen in 3 weeks of racing. It’s gonna be intriguing.

And Gee gets his customary snip before every Grand Tour. 

IMG_6815.jpeg

I love G Thomas

Analysis may reveal why TP is going for the Giro-Tour double:

Total 70 kms of individual TT which is one of his strengths. Riders like Dunbar, Quintana and Carthy will likely be dreading these days as several of the pure climbers on the roster.

Average stage length is 20 km less than 2023 and 15% less vert than 2023, the least since 2010.

And, of course, simply audacious and ambitious, the Slovenian superstar and his team wants to keep on keeping on with their nr 1 status on WT scoreboard and defy historical odds.

Meanwhile, Peter Sagan returns to the road for training after his 2nd heart surgery with Conti team, Pierre Baquette Cycling, at the tour of Hungary. 

spacer.png

On 5/1/2024 at 8:03 AM, 'Dale said:

There’ll be rain, snow, sun, and anything can happen in 3 weeks of racing. It’s gonna be intriguing.

And Gee gets his customary snip before every Grand Tour. 

IMG_6815.jpeg

..Cut It Thomas, it’s all about the TT’s this year. Plus the contract did say, don’t come to races looking like a “git”!🤭

On 4/30/2024 at 6:23 AM, jimmycool said:

I think most riders in the top 20 lost have a realistic chance to get a good result if they ride smart. I can't remember the field being so wide open for a podium spot in a grand tour since I started following pro cycling around 12 years ago.

The bookies have TP as a dead cert. Which is bizarre because so many things can go wrong in a GT. While I would never wish it, if he crashed out of the first stage it could be the most exciting three week race we'd seen in yonks.

image.png.abeb91fd504cd9ba0df8f3978965f24c.png

1 minute ago, Shebeen said:

The bookies have TP as a dead cert. Which is bizarre because so many things can go wrong in a GT. While I would never wish it, if he crashed out of the first stage it could be the most exciting three week race we'd seen in yonks.

Yup, my thoughts exactly.

If TP makes it all the way to the end I don't think anyone doubts his ability to win it all. But if he doesn't......... We could be in for some fireworks!

Well we got our injury, so while it is moot point a partially recovered Jonas and/or Remco against a TP who has Giro legs could make it a spectacle for the neutrals. The one asterisk here is that maybe TP might not need to go that deep to win the Giro. Big maybe.

image.png.294c64fa96729e66768eff71a16b97f0.png

7 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

The one asterisk here is that maybe TP might not need to go that deep to win the Giro. Big maybe.

After the Stage 7 ITT Pog will have a 5 min plus lead. The rest of the Giro will be a lovely Italian spring training ride

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

if you are a betting man, throw some money at Lopez, Martinez & Uijtdebroeks

42 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

if you are a betting man, throw some money at Lopez, Martinez & Uijtdebroeks

I have learnt that cycling betting is a waste of time. The odds are seriously stacked in the house favour, it's obviously a small market size and they don't want to take risks.

6 hours ago, Shebeen said:

why did I think Roglic was also racing Giro.....??😆

6 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

After the Stage 7 ITT Pog will have a 5 min plus lead. The rest of the Giro will be a lovely Italian spring training ride

does the route go through wine country?

27 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

does the route go through wine country?

The way the old Italian men drink, I assume the whole of Italy is wine country