Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

13 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Yeah, I don't get that at all. I ride bikes to have an adventure, to have an experience, to get out of my comfort zone. That's the purpose of the event for me. If anything the rain adds to that. So what if it's tough? Toughness just adds to the story.

If you are racing to actually win, then you have to suck up the conditions as it'll be affecting everyone and having the best of the best makes sense and being willing to sacrifice that expense is part of the game. If you aren't riding to win (which 1100 of the 1200 of us on the start line aren't) then you enter this knowing it's a challenge. It's a stretch, it's tough, but there's some imaginary self-imposed tougness limit that you won't cross? Because you're a badass, dirt munching, climb conquering descent destroying mountainbiker that loves the outdoors and experiencing unfiltered, real life... as long as it's within your comfort zone?

If you buy a Lambo, but never drive it  because you're nervous about replacing the tyres, something happening to the engine or taking it for a service, then you can't afford a Lambo. Which is why I ride a rigid steel bike that I fix myself that I'd most likely ride Single Speed for this if I wasn't doing this with non-SS team mates, because even if I drag it through  swamp for 12 hours a new BB / wheel bearings is within my reach. Luckily my drivetrain is poegaai as it is, so it'll be making the journey regardless. Similarly, if you decide to ride a bike with a R1k chain, a R4k cassette, a R2.5k derailleur that can only be serviced by grease-angels in Switzerland then you should be OK with demolishing it.

I might be an anomaly here, but if the tool is stopping you from doing the job, then it isn't a tool anymore it's a hindrance. A bike is supposed to be a tool. Once it becomes too precious that you don't ride it some days, or under certain conditions, or don't put it down anywhere there isn't a velvet rug to protect it, it ceases to serve its purpose to me. 

Well - my bike is loaded, the body is ready. Now I will see what the rest of the week holds. If not riding - have a real good piss up and watch rugby 😁

I respect the view @TyronLab and do agree with you - but I will fathom a guess and say that a guy who owns a Lambo and knows that an upcoming event will very likely blow the engine purely due to certain conditions - will think twice before riding. Not quite just a tool sorry. It is a bike I worked my ass of to buy and spend a lot of time and effort to maintain it and YES do throw everything at it - within limits! But each his won I guess. Zee ya all Saturday as a rider or spectator - but I will be there! 

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Well - my bike is loaded, the body is ready. Now I will see what the rest of the week holds. If not riding - have a real good piss up and watch rugby 😁

I respect the view @TyronLab and do agree with you - but I will fathom a guess and say that a guy who owns a Lambo and knows that an upcoming event will very likely blow the engine purely due to certain conditions - will think twice before riding. Not quite just a tool sorry. It is a bike I worked my ass of to buy and spend a lot of time and effort to maintain it and YES do throw everything at it - within limits! But each his won I guess. Zee ya all Saturday as a rider or spectator - but I will be there! 

I think what he is saying is that owning something fancy often 'seems' better but in certain cases it hamstrings your ability to use it because it's fancy.

That way you don't care what the weather is doing as it doesn't cost you bazillions to hose down and clean afterwards and the components don't make you think twice about using them.

So owning a Lambo if you value how much it costs to run is a hindrance. Rather own a car you can afford to thrash without worrying about it's value. 

I sold all my expensive, fancy mtb stuff specifically for this reason. Maintenance, cost, parts etc vs a rowdy 140mm steel SS that goes everywhere and does anything. Drive train goes 30000km of mud and dust and slop and everything in between. 

Morning to all need lift for me +bike to this weekend TB race ,share cost ,from JHB ..Please what's up me ,Thank you Ivica 0839905584

they are currently busy working on the road...some corrugations but its looks mooi in most places...might be different with a bum on seat.

59 minutes ago, Jakkals. said:

they are currently busy working on the road...some corrugations but its looks mooi in most places...might be different with a bum on seat.

Great!!! They also working on moving the rain away? That will really be appreciated 😆🤣 

One person prefers a bike that's a nicer tool for him 90% of the time and a hindrance sometimes because he has to look after it a bit more. Another person will rather have something he never feels sorry for.

Different choice but very individual and both fine.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:02 AM, pedal menace said:

Tyron is my team mate and I'm glad I did not have to write this response as I think you are spot on.

If you have been around the block a few times and you know what's coming... experience will guide you in deciding if you really do need to go out there and destroy your baby just because someone said HTFU. There is a fine line between badass in stupid sometimes lol. Example if Around the pot is same conditions next year, you won't see me pitching up.

I mean if you have never done this race before and probably won't enter it again and it is a bucket list item you need to tick... then sure... you owe it to yourself to go do it! Even if it is raining, you are cold and you contemplate life choices. It's your adventure! Paying a massive bill for a bike that did a race like this is a right of passage... but definitely not a habit I would suggest you get into unless you are sponsored or love a negative bank balance.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:23 AM, Jewbacca said:

I think what he is saying is that owning something fancy often 'seems' better but in certain cases it hamstrings your ability to use it because it's fancy.

That way you don't care what the weather is doing as it doesn't cost you bazillions to hose down and clean afterwards and the components don't make you think twice about using them.

So owning a Lambo if you value how much it costs to run is a hindrance. Rather own a car you can afford to thrash without worrying about it's value. 

I sold all my expensive, fancy mtb stuff specifically for this reason. Maintenance, cost, parts etc vs a rowdy 140mm steel SS that goes everywhere and does anything. Drive train goes 30000km of mud and dust and slop and everything in between. 

Normal running costs are normally not a hinderance I think. It's the unexpected "replace everything" scenario you are knowingly walking into that is the issue.

3 hours ago, militarac said:

Morning to all need lift for me +bike to this weekend TB race ,share cost ,from JHB ..Please what's up me ,Thank you Ivica 0839905584

Also looking for lift from jhb willing to split costs bike and all. Massimo 0725473328

11 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

Tyron is my team mate and I'm glad I did not have to write this response as I think you are spot on.

If you have been around the block a few times and you know what's coming... experience will guide you in deciding if you really do need to go out there and destroy your baby just because someone said HTFU. There is a fine line between badass in stupid sometimes lol. Example if Around the pot is same conditions next year, you won't see me pitching up.

I mean if you have never done this race before and probably won't enter it again and it is a bucket list item you need to tick... then sure... you owe it to yourself to go do it! Even if it is raining, you are cold and you contemplate life choices. It's your adventure! Paying a massive bill for a bike that did a race like this is a right of passage... but definitely not a habit I would suggest you get into unless you are sponsored or love a negative bank balance.

I am going down, will register and will make the final call literally on the morning. Every fiber of my being wants to do this - purely so that my son could experience it for the first time. But there is a line that I will not cross. If I wake up and it rains - NO WILL DO. If I wake up and it does not rain at all - I may very well start. If it then starts to rain later - then I am more than willing to suck it up and ride it. No turning back! 

5 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

I am going down, will register and will make the final call literally on the morning. Every fiber of my being wants to do this - purely so that my son could experience it for the first time. But there is a line that I will not cross. If I wake up and it rains - NO WILL DO. If I wake up and it does not rain at all - I may very well start. If it then starts to rain later - then I am more than willing to suck it up and ride it. No turning back! 

It will be a tailwind all they way 🤪😜

7 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

It will be a tailwind all they way 🤪😜

Hmm...so my arse will be wetter than my chest 😅 - that may just work 🤣

Yeah, dudes, not trying to yuck anybody's yums. Everyone has their own reasons, motivations and thresholds, do whatever works for you. Wasn't trying to convert you to my way of thinking, but I do think its sometimes worthwhile to hear an alternative point of view from our cycling culture's general trend of better/faster/more efficient/carbon-all-the-things. A lot of new people entering our community get marketed/peer pressured into that being the only way to experience this sport.

Like I said, I'm well aware that I'm an anomaly. In all honesty, you're an anomaly too @WaldoZ. You ride a super expensive premium bike because you're actually at the pointy end of the field, competing for wins where the marginal gains make sense and could get you that podium, not necessarily because you have cash to blow or are keeping up with the Jones'.

I'm glad we're ramping up team tensions a week ahead of time already 😄

14 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

Yeah, dudes, not trying to yuck anybody's yums. Everyone has their own reasons, motivations and thresholds, do whatever works for you. Wasn't trying to convert you to my way of thinking, but I do think its sometimes worthwhile to hear an alternative point of view from our cycling culture's general trend of better/faster/more efficient/carbon-all-the-things. A lot of new people entering our community get marketed/peer pressured into that being the only way to experience this sport.

Like I said, I'm well aware that I'm an anomaly. In all honesty, you're an anomaly too @WaldoZ. You ride a super expensive premium bike because you're actually at the pointy end of the field, competing for wins where the marginal gains make sense and could get you that podium, not necessarily because you have cash to blow or are keeping up with the Jones'.

Simmilar line of thought ...

One of the regular Hubbers commented last year that he keeps old drive trains when new is installed.

For these wet muddy races the old ones are re-used.

This is where the potential expenses rests with such races.

15 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

haha, ja look your point of "don't buy something you are not able to maintain" is completely valid. But we are not talking "normal maintenance" here.

If you are going to gooi donuts in your Lambo every weekend you are not going to buy the best performance tires every weekend if you are knowingly going to destroy them. But this is an edge case.

I used to sail dinghies... same thing applied... do you take you boat out in +25Kts of wind and risk breaking a mast, sails or foils? Or do you sit on the shore and enjoy the show of all the other idiots trying their luck? For 90% of the time the use of the equipment is in normal conditions and worth the buy.