Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

10 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

Socks at CP5 maybe, unless you just want dry feet for 30seconds any time before that πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

This will work 92% of the time - the year after 'Langsbaviaans' - which was 2012 if I remember correctly - there were loads of watercrossings in the Kloof, we stopped counting at 40. Lots of teams changed clothes and socks/shoes at CP5 only to have to wade through the river almost hip high just before you hit the Neverender - this was the only time I've seen water there in 12 years. Have not heard so much continuous swearing since😁

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, hboli4 said:

This will work 92% of the time - the year after 'Langsbaviaans' - which was 2012 if I remember correctly - there were loads of watercrossings in the Kloof, we stopped counting at 40. Lots of teams changed clothes and socks/shoes at CP5 only to have to wade through the river almost hip high just before you hit the Neverender - this was the only time I've seen water there in 12 years. Have not heard so much continuous swearing since😁

haha, I can imagine. My First Baviaans was 2014 and I have done it close to 10 times (I can't remember how many) and never had that so yeah before my time.Β 

But socks in any bokses are really not worth it. I have even changed bibs at one point to try get fresh ones on... even that is not worth it unless your bibs is so thin or you just not as harregat as the rest of us.

Is there anyone that is traveling from George to willowmore on the 12th of August that is able to give my riding partner a lift? He is flying down from Joburg. Your help would be appreciated.Β  Thank you

19 hours ago, madmarc said:

Doing this event (repeat) for the 1st time - so if you come across some old guy sitting next to his black TREK Top fuel on one of the climbs crying for his mommy - That would be me 😁

You will never ever forget the event. It is one of the best (and possibly most painful) experiences you will ever have. If the corrugated road surface is as bad as some of the previous years (first 100km+) your hands and bum will feel it.Β  This year will be my 7th but probably the most unfit I have ever been (oh and oldest...lol!). Just circumstances beyond my control. So pain will be inevitable for me and just plan on finishing it with my son - time is not a factor at all.. Still looking so forward to it.Β Β 

Enjoy every second!Β 

20 hours ago, madmarc said:

Doing this event (repeat) for the 1st time - so if you come across some old guy sitting next to his black TREK Top fuel on one of the climbs crying for his mommy - That would be me 😁

I'll see you there! Look out for two racing snakes and a slightly portly hairy dude (me) in Build It kit.Β 

I'm pretty stoked to give it a go, this being my second one. Have stuck to my super strict training plan 85% religiously, so I at least feel quasi-prepared. If you're wondering what my secret sauce is, here's the comprehensive breakdown:

• Four "things" a week (three rides and oneΒ run happened most of the time).
  • Three in the week, an hour-ish is good, and don't dawdle (sometimes feel like you're turning yourself inside out, but if you're not lus, then don't, whatever). Riding in roadie groups with a mountain bike works.
  • Once in a weekend go exploring and dawdle for a few hours, getting dirty ideally.

Pretty much it.Β 

Unfortunately woke up with the sniffles this morning, so I'll likely be off my feet for a few days rather just to give me the best odds getting back to 100% health quickly.

I've heard reports from a friend of a friend that the road conditions aren't bad this year, as reported by a dude in a 4x4, so large pinch of salt required. Also, the road (like the weather, and the food) is what it is. Analyzing and complaining about it now is kinda pointless. Well, to me anyway, my "choices" of bike are a rigid steel mountain bike or a single speed gravel bike.

Hi all!

Does anyone need a tent with bedding for The Race?

2 of our team members pulled out.

9 minutes ago, DogMTB said:

Hi all!

Does anyone need a tent with bedding for The Race?

2 of our team members pulled out.

There's someone who posted a wanted ad

On 8/2/2022 at 7:23 AM, Skoffel said:

Is there anyone that is traveling from George to willowmore on the 12th of August that is able to give my riding partner a lift? He is flying down from Joburg. Your help would be appreciated.Β  Thank you

I'm traveling from George the following weekendΒ :oops:

9 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I'm traveling from George the following weekendΒ :oops:

I think we will set the record then for the longest TB ever 1 week and a dayπŸ€ͺ I wonder if we will get a troosprys at the end then like a case of beer😁

On 8/1/2022 at 3:40 PM, hboli4 said:

I remember this it was my first one on a 26er HT.Β 

Ok - so I checked the weather report this morning for this coming Saturday. YIKES!!!! NOT GOOD!!Β 

Yes I know it is still a few days away and may change

Yes I know there are those that will love riding 230km in rain, icy cold weather and muddy conditions.Β 

Me - not so much. I have vivid, albeit VERY BAD, memories of one of my TBs where it was pouring with rain the last 50km and it was freezingly cold. I personally have ZERO intentions of repeating that. So far - rain is predicted the whole day with VERY cold temperatures. As it will be and my son - thisΒ  could likely result in having to replace of 2 x cassettes, 2 x chains, 2 x drivetrains, 4 x wheel bearings. That will be R25k+ easily. NOT WORTH IT!!Β 

So...although we have everything booked - we may go down and just have a few days break and skip this magnificent event. I am well aware many of you will differ from me - but it is what it is. 230km in the predicted weather is different than just a 40km - 60km ride.

Β 

16 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Ok - so I checked the weather report this morning for this coming Saturday. YIKES!!!! NOT GOOD!!Β 

Yes I know it is still a few days away and may change

Yes I know there are those that will love riding 230km in rain, icy cold weather and muddy conditions.Β 

Me - not so much. I have vivid, albeit VERY BAD, memories of one of my TBs where it was pouring with rain the last 50km and it was freezingly cold. I personally have ZERO intentions of repeating that. So far - rain is predicted the whole day with VERY cold temperatures. As it will be and my son - thisΒ  could likely result in having to replace of 2 x cassettes, 2 x chains, 2 x drivetrains, 4 x wheel bearings. That will be R25k+ easily. NOT WORTH IT!!Β 

So...although we have everything booked - we may go down and just have a few days break and skip this magnificent event. I am well aware many of you will differ from me - but it is what it is. 230km in the predicted weather is different than just a 40km - 60km ride.

Β 

I agree with you, it was the 2013 that rained the last 50km. Just something worth noting: the second weekend almost always have more favorable weather.Β 

47 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I agree with you, it was the 2013 that rained the last 50km. Just something worth noting: the second weekend almost always have more favorable weather.Β 

I went through there in 2013 on Freedom challenge. It rained hard fort he two days leading up to me arriving and while I was in there it continued to rain.

After slip sliding down Ossewa and swimming through Mordor, I emerged to find the roads were like Peanut butter. I couldn't free wheel at all in places and there was a knee deep river to wade through every 500m.Β 

Some of the guys with suspension and gears absolutely dedded their bikes and I remember Johan being a very busy man fixing and bodging things just to get guys home after they popped out.Β 

That must be one of the last times it rained there..Β Β 

Β