Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

This photo of the lead ladies suggests conditions were a lot better towards the end ....

Screenshot_20220813-184054_Chrome.jpg.9063c39e90f6904c33d8b3a49a6a21e5.jpg

exactly as the forecast suggested

20 hours ago, sias said:

It's not going well at the race - just received this on Whatsapp: 

Hallo almal. Ek is grooot asb dringend opsoek na mense met double cab bakkies wat kan help om fietsryers uit die Kloof te evacuate. Dit sal net in die eerste 100km v d Kloof wees. Nie in d reservaat nie. Kontak my asb asap as jy kan help. Jane 0834205434

Dringende oproep!!! Daar kom fietsryers in wat hipotermie het. Ons sluit die saal vir hulle oop. Almal wat kan kom help koffiemaak en komberse het, haas julle asb na due kerksaal!!

Laaste boodskap kom van ons kerk af. Omtrent 100 ryers moet nou hulp kry

Sias enige idee hoeveel ryers onttrek het ?

On 8/8/2022 at 3:44 PM, pedal menace said:

I am utterly and deeply saddened- I am/was looking so forward to this weekend. But I simply cannot consider riding 230km in the rain. I am truly happy for the area given the current devastating drought - but destroying 2 bikes I am accountable for to maintain by riding on peanut butter for 15 hours - is not my cup of tea. If it rains - add (I think) 2 - 3 hours to your ride.  Also as the news letter states - the last 5km next to the railway track is under dry conditions a semi mud bath - imagine with rain!! 

How did your weekend go ?

58 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

Everyone I know had a normal if slightly more challenging ride. 
My assessment is people are underestimating big rides, or getting soft or organizers are getting scared.

Time for everyone to drink a cup of cement.

Peanut gallery always knows best.

If someone that has done every single one said it was the most challenging one he has done, then that says something.

36 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

If someone that has done every single one said it was the most challenging one he has done, then that says something.

Edit, Deleted post as it adds no value, except to rev up the Karens.

Edited by Dicky DQ

7 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

Yes, and you point is? It was challenging, nothing more nothing less.

I was just commenting on all the Karens moaning. I have also done a few and one of them was also in pouring rain where we could not even ride down bergplass, or any other downhill. Neverender was also a river we had to walk up.

I wasn't there, but had mates riding.
The said that it started snowing and weren't dressed for those temp. Hypothermia was something they didn't want to risk, so pulled out.
If that made them moaning Karens, then so be it.
Those who carried on riding were clearly better equipped.

40 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

The temp at The Roof was just above freezing , that is challenging enough. Many rider did not appear properly attired, possibly taking the forecast as gospel truth 7-13 degrees. There are local climates to consider. If any riders had used Around the Pot as a test event then they’d know that it’s colder in the valleys than the top of the mountain. So if The Roof was cold, it must have been freezing at CP2.

Even a lady friend from the UK was finding conditions tough but her team mate really suffered with too light attire and not enough layers.

it just sounds like too many were under prepared 

Edited by DieselnDust

1 minute ago, splat said:

I wasn't there, but had mates riding.
The said that it started snowing and weren't dressed for those temp. Hypothermia was something they didn't want to risk, so pulled out.
If that made them moaning Karens, then so be it.
Those who carried on riding were clearly better equipped.

To my point, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing or preparation.

8 minutes ago, Dicky DQ said:

Yes, and you point is? It was challenging, nothing more nothing less.

I was just commenting on all the Karens moaning. I have also done a few and one of them was also in pouring rain where we could not even ride down bergplass, or any other downhill. Neverender was also a river we had to walk up.

rain & mud is one thing but single digit temperatures is another kettle of fish, throw in a chilly headwind and that amplifies the chill factor, I was most probably in a state of hyperthermia myself and had there been a medic they most certainly would've pulled me against my will. I take off my hat to each and everyone that turned around back to the venue, it was the right thing to do for your own health & bike, the only thing stopping from doing the same is, we already checked out of the guest house, the car was already half way on its way to Jay Bay so no dry and warm clothes, it would most likely take us hours to get transferred to the finish to collect the car from vehicle transfer service, and lastly the fact that I knew at 12pm it would creep into the low double digits. Garmin says low of 1 max of 13 average of 8 degrees Celsius all day. Go Figure.

Forgot to mention I started at 7am, in pouring rain not ideal. my clothing was base layer, short sleeve cycling shirt, arm warmers, gilet, rain jacket, I did not ever feel the need to strip anything at any time.

2 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

rain & mud is one thing but single digit temperatures is another kettle of fish, throw in a chilly headwind and that amplifies the chill factor, I was most probably in a state of hyperthermia myself and had there been a medic they most certainly would've pulled me against my will. I take off my hat to each and everyone that turned around back to the venue, it was the right thing to do for your own health & bike, the only thing stopping from doing the same is, we already checked out of the guest house, the car was already half way on its way to Jay Bay so no dry and warm clothes, it would most likely take us hours to get transferred to the finish to collect the car from vehicle transfer service, and lastly the fact that I knew at 12pm it would creep into the low double digits. Garmin says low of 1 max of 13 average of 8 degrees Celsius all day. Go Figure.

Noted, however rain and mud is synonymous with cold temps in that region at this time of year. You can't have the one without the other.