Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

1 hour ago, _David_ said:

I think another thing to take into consideration for training is that it is not just milage but rather time in the saddle. There is a big difference between a 180kms on the road and a 180kms offroad.

Very true, I do all my training based on hours and fit whatever intervals etc into the timeframe. 

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So i entered a 3 man team + driver on Entry Ninja - wow what a cockup - the invoice and the amount it says each person must pay don't correspond the VAT is wrong and the person I'm corresponding with via email clearly just graduated from the university of stupid.

so now I've removed the driver and the numbers seem to be corrected - question is how do we add a driver and pay the additional 250 ronds 

5 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Also transferred my entry from 2020 to this year's Repeat. Doing it in a 4-man team, 2x on mountain bikes (one of them being from team Pure Savage), 2x on gravel bikes (my GP compatriot and I). If you've already started bashing in your scientific/factual/experiential response to how stupid I am to do it on a gravel bike, please know that my own teammates have been attempting this for the last two weeks and haven't yet succeeded, I very much doubt you will. I'll probably throw a smaller chainring on beforehand (I'm not in the mood to walk the MAC with the current 40:42 granny gear I have).

Really excited about tackling it again. Staying in tents close to the start line this time, definitely want to get a 5am start in, even though riding at night was one of the great parts of the experience.

Regarding training, you need to be relatively fit to do this, but in my opinion the Transbaviaans, like other longer/ultra races, is more about "toughness" than all-out fitness. You can be a sub-3 947 rider and still scratch on the day as you can't withstand the corrugations, your bum gets too sore to handle, you get an upset stomach from the food, or any number of things that you can't really expect or train for. You just need to take a solid gulp from the HTFU cup and stick through it.

I'm training for a sub 11 hour only so that I can enjoy a ~12 hour ride and be able to focus on the gorgeous scenery / atmosphere / food and not how smushed I'm feeling. Although I'm also looking forward to the post-smushed high. I'm not really that fussed about what time we finish in. Who cares if you come 325th or 570th? 

Aheerm... I never said you were stupid. I only said I am not going to feel sorry for you and that you will be way more uncomfortable than me on my luxurious dual sus XC bike made for this exact terrain.  

That said, my training will involve a lot of practise in front of the mirror to come up with different ways to laugh 🤣🤪

Edited by WaldoZ

2 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

I haven't done TB, but have done a half 36One (so 180km). The longest training ride I did was 60km before the vent, in Somerset West - so more climbing per km than the event. I finished relatively comfortably. but I did not race it by any means. I had been riding 4 to 5 times a week consistently for a couple of years leading up to that though so I had a decent base. 

If I were to do something similar, and I am toying with the idea of a TB in 2022 (if post knee op surgery rehab allows), I would probably want to do a few 100 to 150km training rides with 3000m climbing in the 2-3 months before the event. I wouldn't bother doing longer rides than that. But again, I would just want to comfortably complete it, not race it.

If you can do 36One half then you can do TB. TB is way easier with the first 100 being flat. Just don't be too over confident as going too fast in that first 100 might bite you when the climbing starts in the second half of the race. Cruise the first 100 and "race" from there.

3 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

If you can do 36One half then you can do TB. TB is way easier with the first 100 being flat. Just don't be too over confident as going too fast in that first 100 might bite you when the climbing starts in the second half of the race. Cruise the first 100 and "race" from there.

Good to know :)

On 12/10/2021 at 9:40 AM, TyronLab said:

Also transferred my entry from 2020 to this year's Repeat. Doing it in a 4-man team, 2x on mountain bikes (one of them being from team Pure Savage), 2x on gravel bikes (my GP compatriot and I). If you've already started bashing in your scientific/factual/experiential response to how stupid I am to do it on a gravel bike, please know that my own teammates have been attempting this for the last two weeks and haven't yet succeeded, I very much doubt you will. 

Is this allowed? I saw a couple gravelbikes last year at the 5am rolling start but as I have it you cannot do drop bars at the TB. I might be wrong.

If you do do it, be safe. My nerves just thinking going down some of those fast downhills! Will almost classify it next to the SS crowd, hardcore!

13 minutes ago, peetwindhoek said:

Is this allowed? I saw a couple gravelbikes last year at the 5am rolling start but as I have it you cannot do drop bars at the TB. I might be wrong.

If you do do it, be safe. My nerves just thinking going down some of those fast downhills! Will almost classify it next to the SS crowd, hardcore!

I think a gravel bike will be slower than a mtb. Not that the bike in itself will be slower, I just think you won't be willing to go as fast as on a mtb. I mean just imagine going through some of those water crossings on those skinny wheels and a rigid fork. 

2 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I think a gravel bike will be slower than a mtb. Not that the bike in itself will be slower, I just think you won't be willing to go as fast as on a mtb. I mean just imagine going through some of those water crossings on those skinny wheels and a rigid fork. 

True, and the corrugations! RTTS had some mild corrugations and that was only 5 hours, not double that as with TB and the body was properly rattled! 

My dual suspension’s remote lockout on the shock failed when we arrived in Willowmore in last years race. During the race I would lose more momentum than my 2 partners on bad sections.

It's a give and take at the end of the day. When the corrugations are mild or anything easier than that the gravel bike rips. Rougher than that and it needs quite a bit of body english to keep it smooth and will likely be slower than a mtb. At the Munga Grit I noticed that guys on dual sussers just sat and pedaled, where I had to choose my lines carefully and give a lot of inputs when the going got rough.

Definitely not debating that a light, efficient, XC dual sus would be the quickest and easiest for this. But seeing as TB is only 4% of my riding, it can't dictate what my 1-bike budget allows.

With my previous TB, on a very stiff hardtail with 2.2 tyres, my hands took more shots than my bum did. The drop bars and their added comfort and hand position options saved me in the Grit.

If anyone's in the mood to gift me a R80k+ full carbon dual sus weapon with expensive fast rolling tyres and a drop bar conversion I'd be happy to take it to Willowmore. Until then, not to be that guy, but if I can do this on a rigid 650B gravel bike I'm pretty sure I can manage the TB.

EDIT: I've realised finishing a Munga event makes you an insufferable asshole that name drops it wherever you can.

strava2705744620882535210.jpg

Edited by TyronLab

I was under the impression that podium finishers are not allowed to be on gravel bikes. This was based on a chat with a pro mtber about the TB speaking about his win several years ago. I am sure he was licking his lips at that being a possibility.

But reading this shows we can? https://transbaviaans.co.za/blog/

While the times were significantly slower than in the previous weekend’s Race one new record was set in the Trans Baviaans Repeat. Bryan and Lauren Allot, riding as Team PowerBar 2, became the first riders to complete the event on gravel bikes. The couple are preparing for the 1 000 kilometre long Munga in December. “I figure if I can do this then the Munga will be just as easy” Bryan smiled a little nervously on the start line in Willowmore. “There might be no suspension, but you get rattled around anyway. The corrugations are always smoother on the other side of the road. But it’s a photograph ride, we are aiming to take it easy and enjoy it.” The Allot’s did just that, finishing in a steady time of 17 hours, 53 minutes and 56 seconds.

Edited by peetwindhoek
Name dropping removal

18 hours ago, TyronLab said:

It's a give and take at the end of the day. When the corrugations are mild or anything easier than that the gravel bike rips. Rougher than that and it needs quite a bit of body english to keep it smooth and will likely be slower than a mtb. At the Munga Grit I noticed that guys on dual sussers just sat and pedaled, where I had to choose my lines carefully and give a lot of inputs when the going got rough.

Definitely not debating that a light, efficient, XC dual sus would be the quickest and easiest for this. But seeing as TB is only 4% of my riding, it can't dictate what my 1-bike budget allows.

With my previous TB, on a very stiff hardtail with 2.2 tyres, my hands took more shots than my bum did. The drop bars and their added comfort and hand position options saved me in the Grit.

If anyone's in the mood to gift me a R80k+ full carbon dual sus weapon with expensive fast rolling tyres and a drop bar conversion I'd be happy to take it to Willowmore. Until then, not to be that guy, but if I can do this on a rigid 650B gravel bike I'm pretty sure I can manage the TB.

EDIT: I've realised finishing a Munga event makes you an insufferable asshole that name drops it wherever you can.

If people can cycle unsupported from Israel to Capetown on modified road bikes I'm sure you can do the TB on a gravel bike. Might not be as easy as on a DS but if you managed the Munga Grit you're no noob and I'm sure you will be okay 🙂

20 hours ago, TyronLab said:

I personally don’t care what people ride. As long as they ride. Guys do races with bikes that will challenge them… example how many guys will brag “I did the Argus on a MTB, on KNOBBLIES!” 

For those who have ridden, what was your drive train setup.

I am currently running 1x11 (10x46) Shimano SLX with a 34 oval on the front.

*looking for an excuse or a “valid” reason to upgrade to a 1 x 12 setup…..

37 minutes ago, DKS said:

I've completed it a few times on that setup. It works a treat. 

12 hours ago, DKS said:

I've tried 34 oval with 42 as my climbing gear. It's doable but don't try win the race with it haha. I would have MUCH preferred a 46 at the back so I recon you have a nice ratio there.

All of the above is relative really... 34oval x 42 is fine on my hardtail, but on the dual I did eventually use it wasn't pleasant as it is 1.5kg heavier and the Geo was a little different as I had a 120mm fork on.