Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So AccuWeather for Baviaans Community - Willowmore - Humansdorp - J Bay at night

13th Race

Temp 12deg real feel - Willowmore 10deg - Humansdorp 13deg - J Bay 4deg

UV index 3 = moderate - Willowmore 4 - Humansdorp 4 

Ave wind = W16km/hr Max gusts 30 km/hr - Willowmore W30km/hr gust 48km/hr - Humansdorp WNW20km/hr - J/ Bay W 46km/hr

Rain probability 82% - Willowmore 65% - Humansdorp 71% - J Bay 25%

Rain amount 2.6mm - Willowmore 1.9mm - Humansdorp 3.7mm

Ave cloud cover 78% - Willowmore 56% - Humansdorp 56%

20th Repeat

Temp 15deg real feel - Willowmore 16deg - Humansdorp 16deg - J bay 7deg

UV index 1 = Low - Willowmore 1 - Humansdorp 2

Ave Wind - WSW 17km/hr Max gusts 50 km/hr - Willowmore WSW19km/hr gust 46 km/hr - Humansdorp WSW33km/hr gusts 61km/hr - J Bay WNW22km/hr

Rain probability - 58% - Willowmore 55% - Humansdorp 56% - J Bay 41%

Rain amount 1.2 mm - Willowmore 0.8mm - Humansdorp 1.2mm - J Bay 0.3mm ( How do they even predict this amount ?)

Ave Cloud cover 90% - Willomore 91% - Humansdorp 69%

I suppose i should have started with Willowmore first 😁

So in my opinion Repeat will have better weather and both should be perfectly rideable but i've never done it so maybe some veterans can comment.

7 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Like I said before....... Rigid SS...... Do it!

rhodes.jpg

I feel likeif you lived in GP, we'd turn into unlikely trailside friends at some point.

Also...

Rigid - Great

SS - So little to worry about and whisper quiet, Great!

Steel HT - Is there any better kind? Great!

Backpack for 2000km+ - Hells to the no! Your shoulders must have taken more shots than your bum.

8 hours ago, TyronLab said:

I feel likeif you lived in GP, we'd turn into unlikely trailside friends at some point.

Also...

Rigid - Great

SS - So little to worry about and whisper quiet, Great!

Steel HT - Is there any better kind? Great!

Backpack for 2000km+ - Hells to the no! Your shoulders must have taken more shots than your bum.

hahahahaha FRIENDS!

That was 2013... I had a handle bar bag with spare batteries, tools, sealant and heavy stuff etc 

I don't enjoy carrying a bike full of bags that weighs heaps. There must be a balance.

Backpack was a camelback MULE and had a spare shirt, bibs, 4 pairs of socks, thermals, a sleeping fleece and a rain jacket and pants along with a pair of original vivo Ultras for sleeping in and Lehana's pass/Stuttyns.

It was tiny and light. Front back had all food and supplies to balance out the weight and my bivvy bag and liner were in the frame. Spare spokes inside the handlebar, maps and narratives in the map holder.

All in it made for easy portaging, easy access to everything and the 2L ice cream containers did most of the heavy lifting. and a dynamo hub/light and 4xAA headtorch do all of my lighting.

Most guys carry way too much. All the what ifs and maybes.

I've seen guys pack so much and not use more than half what they carry. Coffee, flash boils, all sorts of sleeping stuff etc.... There is less than a day between resupplies and all of that stuff anyway. 

I'm also pretty used to doing big miles on the bike with a pack from AR. 

Anyway, back to the topic at hand!

Freshly graded and a spatter of rain...... Hero dirt!

To those who brave it out there, ENJOY! Baviaans is a magical place. Take it in.

It's not going well at the race - just received this on Whatsapp: 

Hallo almal. Ek is grooot asb dringend opsoek na mense met double cab bakkies wat kan help om fietsryers uit die Kloof te evacuate. Dit sal net in die eerste 100km v d Kloof wees. Nie in d reservaat nie. Kontak my asb asap as jy kan help. Jane 0834205434

Dringende oproep!!! Daar kom fietsryers in wat hipotermie het. Ons sluit die saal vir hulle oop. Almal wat kan kom help koffiemaak en komberse het, haas julle asb na due kerksaal!!

Laaste boodskap kom van ons kerk af. Omtrent 100 ryers moet nou hulp kry

Edited by sias

On 8/10/2022 at 1:24 PM, TyronLab said:

Yeah, dudes, not trying to yuck anybody's yums. Everyone has their own reasons, motivations and thresholds, do whatever works for you. Wasn't trying to convert you to my way of thinking, but I do think its sometimes worthwhile to hear an alternative point of view from our cycling culture's general trend of better/faster/more efficient/carbon-all-the-things. A lot of new people entering our community get marketed/peer pressured into that being the only way to experience this sport.

Like I said, I'm well aware that I'm an anomaly. In all honesty, you're an anomaly too @WaldoZ. You ride a super expensive premium bike because you're actually at the pointy end of the field, competing for wins where the marginal gains make sense and could get you that podium, not necessarily because you have cash to blow or are keeping up with the Jones'.

I'm glad we're ramping up team tensions a week ahead of time already 😄

aaaaaaawwkwaaaard