Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

My buddy and I got around in a smidge under 18hrs. The conditions were trying but, if I'm honest, I think 99% of people brought their hypothermia / discomfort on themselves. If after the facebook photos, the race reports, the weather reports and the rider briefing on Friday night you still decided to roll out with just a jersey/bib and light rain sleeve, its your own stupidity. I counted at least 30 riders rolling out exactly like that. I over-prepared and over-dressed, and was toasty 95% of the time with minimal effort. I saw a bunch of people at CP1 in the aforementioned attire under space blankets freezing their balls off.

Weather was actually fine. Few bits of rain but never to a hampering degree. I was insulated enough that I'm not really sure if it was cold or not, until we stopped at the last two CPs and the standing still made my sweat layer cool.

We were making really good progress at our target low intensity, and when we got to the Baviaans Back we overtook probably 30 riders on the climb, while not going above Z3. We were on target for a ~13hr ride even with dawdling at the stops and were feeling great, until just before CP3 my teammate's AXS derailleur died and left him stuck in 40x20 for the rest of the ride. He took a mental hit when that happened and we really struggled up MAC which ate up a bunch of time. Luckily I had done some SS riding so I rode his bike a lot on the remaining climbs, knowing how to ride low cadence without exploding my knees.

Our progress was also hampered by the muck after CP6 and CP7. I had PTSD from the Grit Cradle last year, but also luckily experience on how to best manage it. 

Overall a great experience as always. I am quite proud of myself that my "training" had paid off and my mental fortitude got reinforced. I was really intimidated by the MAC, but I realised that I could ride up it relatively comfortably this time around.

Also, my hands/shoulders/back are also hunky dory even though I rode a rigid, and my buddy's is too even though he did it on a gravel bike. Lots of "you have to ride a dual sus" dudes are just too lazy to pick a line or even just stand up on descents. 

I'll be back next year and, hopefully, get the chance to ride everything and not be forced to walk due to some team circumstance.

IMG-20220820-WA0072.jpg

IMG-20220820-WA0023.jpg

Edited by TyronLab

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

My buddy and I got around in a smidge under 18hrs. The conditions were trying but, if I'm honest, I think 99% of people brought their hypothermia / discomfort on themselves. If after the facebook photos, the race reports, the weather reports and the rider briefing on Friday night you still decided to roll out with just a jersey/bib and light rain sleeve, its your own stupidity. I counted at least 30 riders rolling out exactly like that. I over-prepared and over-dressed, and was toasty 95% of the time with minimal effort. I saw a bunch of people at CP1 in the aforementioned attire under space blankets freezing their balls off.

Weather was actually fine. Few bits of rain but never to a hampering degree. I was insulated enough that I'm not really sure if it was cold or not, until we stopped at the last two CPs and the standing still made my sweat layer cool.

We were making really good progress at our target low intensity, and when we got to the Baviaans Back we overtook probably 30 riders on the climb, while not going above Z3. We were on target for a ~13hr ride even with dawdling at the stops and were feeling great, until just before CP3 my teammate's AXS derailleur died and left him stuck in 40x20 for the rest of the ride. He took a mental hit when that happened and we really struggled up MAC which ate up a bunch of time. Luckily I had done some SS riding so I rode his bike a lot on the remaining climbs, knowing how to ride low cadence without exploding my knees.

Our progress was also hampered by the muck after CP6 and CP7. I had PTSD from the Grit Cradle last year, but also luckily experience on how to best manage it. 

Overall a great experience as always. I am quite proud of myself that my "training" had paid off and my mental fortitude got reinforced. I was really intimidated by the MAC, but I realised that I could ride up it relatively comfortably this time around.

Also, my hands/shoulders/back are also hunky dory even though I rode a rigid, and my buddy's is too even though he did it on a gravel bike. Lots of "you have to ride a dual sus" dudes are just too lazy to pick a line or even just stand up on decents. 

I'll be back next year and, hopefully, get the chance to ride everything and not be forced to walk due to some team circumstance.

IMG-20220820-WA0072.jpg

IMG-20220820-WA0023.jpg

Well done!💪🏼

Also, my hands/shoulders/back are also hunky dory even though I rode a rigid, and my buddy's is too even though he did it on a gravel bike. Lots of "you have to ride a dual sus" dudes are just too lazy to pick a line or even just stand up on decents. 

IMG-20220820-WA0072.jpg

IMG-20220820-WA0023.jpg

Well Done Tyron 

IMG-20220820-WA0072.jpg

IMG-20220820-WA0023.jpg

Well done gents, saw you up there on MAC, some serious grit, and the spirits  looked high!!!

On 8/19/2022 at 7:46 AM, Velouria said:

My Trans Baviaans 24HR MTB Race write up. It's less of a race report and more like a tale from The Hunger Games series. 

Good luck to everyone riding tomorrow. Stay safe, be smart, and believe it or not, you'll have fun!

https://www.velotales.com/2022/08/trans-baviaans-2022.html

kiff report, no one wants to be the nail, ever.

4 hours ago, TyronLab said:

my teammate's AXS derailleur died and left him stuck in 40x20 for the rest of the ride.

charge issue? asking for a friend

4 hours ago, TyronLab said:

I saw a bunch of people at CP1 in the aforementioned attire under space blankets freezing their balls off.

For next years race, some medical advice to those: 

Warming up cold testicles can be done safely and easily. Here are some tips:

• Sitting. When your testicles are in close contact with your thighs, there’s less opportunity for air to reach them and disperse heat. Sitting is a natural way to warm them.
  • Clothing. Layers of clothing can help trap heat, but avoid tight underwear and pants, as they can drive up the temperature too much.
  • Hot shower or sauna. A hot sauna will warm up your entire body. But remember, as the temperature of your testicles rises to your normal body temperature and higher, the quality of your sperm will temporarily decline.

To prevent cold testicles, consider these tips:

• Dress appropriately for the weather. If you’re going to be outside in cold temperatures, a pair of long johns or sports tights under your pants is a good idea.
  • Take breaks from the cold water of a swimming pool, beach, or other body of water.
  • Follow the instructions carefully if using specially designed underwear or other products meant to cool your balls to improve your sperm count. Prolonged exposure to cold temperatures could injure the skin of your scrotum and possibly harm sperm production.
Edited by OVERDRIVE

Thanks all! For reference, my setup was:

Torso:

Cycling jersey, running shirt, arm warmers, Ciovita winter convertible jacket, rain jacket, nitrile gloves, long finger mtb gloves

Legs:

Leg warmers, Bike Addict socks, spar bag over sock tucked into warmer, baggies

Head: 

Buff around neck, buff around head, rain jacket hood over buff and helmet over hood. Thanks for the tip @Shebeen about the hood, it worked a treat.

Look, the spar bags didn't win me any fashion awards, but they did their job. 

Edited by TyronLab

56 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

kiff report, no one wants to be the nail, ever.

charge issue? asking for a friend

Nope. The light on the derailleur was faintly eliminated permanently. Tried to clean the battery terminals, tried holding the button in to re-pair it, and even tried some dude we found on the route's AXS battery that was working on his bike, no dice.

Mechanic at CP4 said that it was water damage, happened to a buddy of his, but seeing as we hadn't done a serious water crossing then yet, and it was after the Baviaans Back descent, I think it's busted electronics from vibration (similar symptom to damage from water). Still, for a top-of-the-pops Rival Xplor eTap system that's shitty. 

We joked a few times that we saw many Mechanicals on the route, but we were sure we were the only Electrical for the day.

Edited by TyronLab

3 hours ago, DKS said:

Well done gents, saw you up there on MAC, some serious grit, and the spirits  looked high!!!

Yeah man, it seems like my calling in life is to be the conductor on the Hype Train and push people along in the events I do. I'm always the guy thinking "we need some levity up in dis bitch".

You might have heard me sing "vat hom pappie swaai hom" and my disheartened teammate responding with "soos n sakkie suiker" based on a song we were jamming to on the way to Willowmore.

7 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Nope. The light on the derailleur was faintly eliminated permanently. Tried to clean the battery terminals, tried holding the button in to re-pair it, and even tried some dude we found on the route's AXS battery that was working on his bike, no dice.

Mechanic at CP4 said that it was water damage, happened to a buddy of his, but seeing as we hadn't done a serious water crossing then yet, and it was after the Baviaans Back descent, I think it's busted electronics from vibration (similar symptom to damage from water). Still, for a top-of-the-pops Rival Xplor eTap system that's shitty. 

We joked a few times that we saw many Mechanicals on the route, but we were sure we were the only Electrical for the day.

Would be interesting to try WD40 or Q20 on it, i.e wet external contacts .... OR ... did it drown 

14 hours ago, TyronLab said:

My buddy and I got around in a smidge under 18hrs.

Well done  @TyronLab - super effort and you guys can be proud of yourselves! 

Brother in law finished around 16h, last 40km the mud made riding very difficult, walking stretches.

Have not asked about the bike🤐

@TyronLab had the right bike for the conditions (thinking with my "maintenance budget" hat)... Well done with the finish, and doing that on a rigid hardtail adds just that bit of "special" to the achievement! Awesome!

17 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Also, my hands/shoulders/back are also hunky dory even though I rode a rigid, and my buddy's is too even though he did it on a gravel bike. Lots of "you have to ride a dual sus" dudes are just too lazy to pick a line or even just stand up on descents. 

IMG-20220820-WA0072.jpg

IMG-20220820-WA0023.jpg

Well done