UCI XCO World Cup 2022 Season

Hairy

Itching to see how this weekends racing will turn out... 

AH will be giving it a full swing tonight again as he has spoken about the valuable points on offer at the XCC. 

The old goat N1no with his tale up should be something to watch however he has previously said he doesn't favor wet muddy conditions. Maybe flukiger back in some form after tough first round?

Piddy back in the mix will always be interesting and could go either way. 

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I dig those wheels and I think that bike looks like a race bike. Ann Terpstra has been rocking something similar for a while re wheels.

If you're racing to race, you don't care what your bike looks like if it's performance and marginal gains you're chasing. 

You even forego comfort and occasionally long term reliability. 

Looks are probably 29th on the list of importance when it comes to racing.

Couch critics seem to be obsessed with how things look as opposed to how things perform for 90 minutes. For us, it's probably important as a bike you like is a bike you want to ride, but for these guys they will ride regardless and their race bike is almost definitely not their favourite bike.

It's their fastest bike

“If you don’t look good you can’t go good” (fast) -  Old Chinese racing proverb 

53 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I dig those wheels and I think that bike looks like a race bike. Ann Terpstra has been rocking something similar for a while re wheels.

If you're racing to race, you don't care what your bike looks like if it's performance and marginal gains you're chasing. 

Couch critics seem to be obsessed with how things look as opposed to how things perform for 90 minutes. For us, it's probably important as a bike you like is a bike you want to ride, but for these guys they will ride regardless and their race bike is almost definitely not their favourite bike.

It's their fastest bike

If you knew what color my EVO is, its worse than fugly and I’ll never win on it, but I still love the ugly bugger….. just as well I don’t race anymore 

3 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Flip thats light for a dual. Wonder if those wheels are much lighter than normal carbon ones. What a machine!

Don't know hey ... I would say 885kg is rather heavy

image.png.4a419806d3af1b2c44dd5e8d43721b82.png

On 4/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, SwissVan said:

Sadly these are the reasons XCO race entries are so low, people on average don’t like to suffer the way you do in xco., and then the technical stuff also puts them off.

I did my first xco race at rockhoppers honeydew quarry and I was absolutely broken, even tho I was triathlon fit (age group Transvaal provincial colors fit)., could not believe that a race could be so hard…. and I’ve done all sorts of racing.

We were mostly riding fully rigid bikes (no suspension front or back) and rim brakes in those days, making it even harder…. But it was the most fun I have ever had racing / riding a bicycle, I’m not exactly a skilled technical rider and have carried my bike on many technical sections, but overcoming those challenges adds to the fun…

Was my 1st taste of XCO racing and I decided Mtb was going to be my new sport

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Good to see Pidcock and Koretsky back from Road to participate. Thats going to make it a bigger fight for the win

They know where the real racing is. Will i get killed by the roadies for saying that? 

Did I Just Say That GIFs | Tenor

4 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Flip thats light for a dual. Wonder if those wheels are much lighter than normal carbon ones. What a machine!

Those rims!! Guys who does Pirelli wheels in Gauteng for a good price? Wanna try 

3 hours ago, SwissVan said:

How to make a nice looking frame look ***

Damn fugly looking wheels, spoked type wheels liked that have been around for eons, yet they don’t seem to become the standard, or popular.

Of course it’s a matter of imo

Black Marlin Fast do something similar...

image.png.7e7461348682e304ad530f462a618243.png

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

It's their fastest bike

No Lies Detected GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 hour ago, SwissVan said:

If you knew what color my EVO is, its worse than fugly and I’ll never win on it, but I still love the ugly bugger….. just as well I don’t race anymore 

hahaha I stopped caring about what my bike looked like after I bent the lever on what I thought was a rad set of red hope brakes. Couldn't replace it, then had to replace it twice when I could get it in red because it looked dumb with one gold lever.. 

I also had tan walls and when it was time to replace one I had to spent twice as much on another tan wall. 

I also had cool purple hubs and trying to sell them proved impossible. 

So now it's black and 'don't care'. I ride my bike, I don't look at it

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

hahaha I stopped caring about what my bike looked like after I bent the lever on what I thought was a rad set of red hope brakes. Couldn't replace it, then had to replace it twice when I could get it in red because it looked dumb with one gold lever.. 

I also had tan walls and when it was time to replace one I had to spent twice as much on another tan wall. 

I also had cool purple hubs and trying to sell them proved impossible. 

So now it's black and 'don't care'. I ride my bike, I don't look at it

Tom's is black and he's an Olympic Champion. Im happy 

XCO race bikes: 8 of the fastest MTBs the pros ride

SR Suntour shows prototype electronic suspension on Tom Pidcock's Gold  Medal MTB - Bikerumor

@Jewbacca Please rank the below suspension from best to worst. Only interested in why you think one is top and why the bottom is the bottom as we wait for the men. 

Fox

RockShox

Suntour

Marzocchi.

Ps, and which to avoid like the plague.