• 10 months later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I checked in with the attorneys who were assisting the prosecution and received this:

"The accused pleaded guilty, and we are awaiting sentencing.

Thank you."

Looks like a positive (as possible given the circumstances and harm caused to a family) outcome, as long as the sentence isn't suspended or miniscule!

Hope he gets a seriously long sentence!

• 4 months later...

Thanks. I alsogot that after enquiring with the attorneys via email.These scumbags usually get away so I guess 5 years is way better than that. I wonder what happed with the drunk driver that killed a cyclist in Fourways (Uranium rd?) after mounting the pavement.

26 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Thanks. I alsogot that after enquiring with the attorneys via email.These scumbags usually get away so I guess 5 years is way better than that. I wonder what happed with the drunk driver that killed a cyclist in Fourways (Uranium rd?) after mounting the pavement.

The taxi driver that killed Burry got 6 with 3 suspended, who knows what time he actually served*.

These cases can't bring the cyclists back, but can only hopefully go a little way in forming better driving habits. For that the media needs to follow the full process and circulate the outcome. This was in court 2 days ago and a media release yesterday. I don't see it anywhere (maybe it is too soon?).

This has been a higher profile than normal incident.

Not even PPA who did this https://pedalpower.org.za/a-promise-to-andre/ have reported on it.

*this should have been reported.

This is tragic, the drive deserves to do a very long time in jail considering he was drunk, tried to run and attempted to bribe his way of murder. condolences to the families of the cyclist.   

..is that all a life is worth in SA? A low grade 5 years! I’m completely shocked at the state of the justice system in this Banana Republic. He Should have got 5 just trying to pull a hit and run! 

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

The taxi driver that killed Burry got 6 with 3 suspended, who knows what time he actually served*.

These cases can't bring the cyclists back, but can only hopefully go a little way in forming better driving habits. For that the media needs to follow the full process and circulate the outcome. This was in court 2 days ago and a media release yesterday. I don't see it anywhere (maybe it is too soon?).

This has been a higher profile than normal incident.

Not even PPA who did this https://pedalpower.org.za/a-promise-to-andre/ have reported on it.

*this should have been reported.

Well said

Will be out in 2 years.

In the Uk.this guy got 11 years. 

Reilly pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving at a hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court last October.

> “It should have been her right to get home safely”: Driver admits causing death of Hackney cyclist

The offence now carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment for offences committed after 28 June 2022, with the change introduced under The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act which received Royal Assent on 28 April that year.

Previously, the longest jail term that could be handed down was 14 years, but even in the most egregious cases, that full term was rarely, if ever, imposed.