Incident Total garage on Malibongwe

_David_

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s a longish post. Pls read till the end.

It’s been a tough week for sure. On Wednesday we flew up to Jhb to say goodbye to my friend Andre Piehl.

There is so much justifiable rage regarding this & other cycling tragedies that have happened in the last few weeks that I have stayed away from both mainstream & social media for my own emotional wellbeing.

On that tragic day, Andre & Jean were sadly in the wrong place at the wrong time. There are hundreds of ‘what ifs’ that would have changed the course of events that unfolded and the ending would have been a coffee, a wave goodbye & spending the rest of the day with the family……..it was not to be.

I am so angry I feel nauseous. I want the person who did this to pay full consequences for his actions & hopefully full justice will be served.  

I actually came here to write the passage below in the hope that if it can prevent even one death, it has served its purpose. My dream is that nobody will have to go through what Andre’s family & friends are going through:

Andre was the safest rider that I ever rode with. He obeyed the written & unwritten rules of the road without fail. Stopped at red lights & stop streets. Cycled single file unless it was 100% safe to ride 2 abreast, wouldn’t allow half wheeling (but that was probably because we couldn’t keep up 😊) and always thanked a driver with a little hand wave when they gave us space and patience. He set an example of how we should ride our bikes. He understood that our actions & reactions may have consequence for cyclists down the road. Good and bad.

I’m sure there will be memorial rides heading out in time, but a permanent tribute to Andre will be to follow his example & hold ourselves accountable, all the time, on the roads whether we are in a car or on a bike. Set a good example for others to follow that we can all be as safe as we can when we go out live our childhood freedom of being on a bike.

We may be competitors in our different kits, but we are all part of Team Cycling. We have a responsibility to our fellow ‘team members’ to do what we can to keep each other as safe as possible.

IMG-20211224-WA0002.jpg

• 4 months later...

This matter was supposed to go to court on 18 May. I cannot find anything in the media about the case. Does anybody have some feedback on this matter.

2 hours ago, Block said:

This matter was supposed to go to court on 18 May. I cannot find anything in the media about the case. Does anybody have some feedback on this matter.

Feedback from HWJ Attorneys

New date 6 July but only for exchange if docket and setting of trial date.

We are pushing them very hard. Unfortunately it's the blood results from the state pathology lab  (which are out of our control) that are holding up the process. I promise to make a big noise when it's finally at trial. Want to get as many cyclists there as possible on the day. Will
Give you all adequate warning

@Hubbers - need to find ways of keeping this alive and front and centre please  thsi could so easily have being one of us on a road that really by all definitions should be cycle friendly. 

Edited by Milosh
spelling

I just have that uneasy feeling that this is going to drag out for ages thanks to the total incompetence of our ever reliable SAPS. 

All we can hope for is that at the end of it all, the scumbag gets to spend the rest of his life rotting away in a jail cell.

my ASSumption of the law and the incident, Had there been correct policing done and the Scene was correctly processed, the scum bag would not have been released as soon as he was, I would REALLY like to be wrong on this one, but TIA

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if that has been any progress with the court case and the scumbag who is probably still as free as a bird.

Anybody know what happened to this court case, or is this just another that will disappear like my memory

HJW Attorneys are keeping case alive ( huge Kudos to them ).

Lets be ready to make a stand and be vocal when it comes up. 

HJW Attorneys are keeping case alive ( huge Kudos),  I believe there will be an update soon 

Lets be ready to make a stand and be vocal when it comes up.