The PRO Gravel Thread

'Dale

Are we surprised that no one is mentioning or favouring the other race in Italy today?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Roul said:

Are we surprised that no one is mentioning or favouring the other race in Italy today?

My favourite race of the year! Sitting in front of the telly! 

SA mens team for tomorrow.

Difficult for organisers to manage start grid since it’s first World gravel champs.

You have riders that have qualified thru the gravel series,road racers with lots of uci points and ex world,CX etc champs.You then have riders who have not qualified or any uci points but are deemed good enough by their respective cycling body to attend (They won the local gravel champs in their country against a bunch of toppies with day jobs so are definitely ready for Worlds.)

I think the UCI points system for start grid is fair.

EB721D57-2A6F-4C60-A3DE-1EB513D7C367.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

PFP wins her 4th rainbow jersey in a 4th discipline in 2022. Add road and CX and she has a rainbow jersey in 6 different categories..... 

Class

Ja nee - incredulous

60E6715B-16D3-4147-BF76-B9ECD2634D2F.jpeg

I must say, even without a huge climb etc… this route really is what I think of when I think gravel. 
It would be boring on a mtb and too tough on a road bike. I would love to ride that route.

2 hours ago, JA-Q001 said:

I must say, even without a huge climb etc… this route really is what I think of when I think gravel. 
It would be boring on a mtb and too tough on a road bike. I would love to ride that route.

Haha, I must say I was personally a bit underwhelmed. No argument that it would be fun as like an urban gravel route on a weekend ride. But for me gravel is actual gravel roads requiring tires wider than 30c, corrugations, long distances and stupid ascent. But each to their own… 

4 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Haha, I must say I was personally a bit underwhelmed. No argument that it would be fun as like an urban gravel route on a weekend ride. But for me gravel is actual gravel roads requiring tires wider than 30c, corrugations, long distances and stupid ascent. But each to their own… 

And when I say “a bit”, I mean a lot. I think they could have done better. That’s not really representative of true gravel racing. I do however think the outcome of the winner in the womens race probably would have been the same either way 😂 pfp is on fire, very well deserved.

12 hours ago, Spookie said:

And when I say “a bit”, I mean a lot. I think they could have done better. That’s not really representative of true gravel racing. I do however think the outcome of the winner in the womens race probably would have been the same either way 😂 pfp is on fire, very well deserved.

Whilst the course may not have been true "gravel", I did enjoy the coverage, that dude who rode the bike following the breakaway bunch had some tricky riding to do, not to mention the camera-man who did a great job over his shoulder!!! I see big opportunities for lightweight stabilisation rigs for these bike-mounted TV cameras tho! Looking forward to the Mens later

Edited by capediver
Spell check