The PRO Gravel Thread

'Dale

Yeah be lekker and ride your bike... Many peeps after so many years still pitch to road races on their mtb just because they want to ride their bike in "controlled environment". No issues here. 

Okes on MTBs at gravel races are at a disadvantage anyway not!? 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as CSA gets involved the wholemgravel,scene will,change and die. You wont be allowed flannel shrits or baggies. Regulate width of bars. Etc etc. they will kill the spirit of gravel. 

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Don't agree. Gravel bikes could start in their own group as per sanctioning or whatever. But to restrict participation is a bit backward methinks, moving away from the entire spirit of cycling. 

So, then, explain to me, why is a gravel bike not allowed in a mtb national event? Or, why is a mtb not allowed in a CX event? [of course not apposite to SA]

14 minutes ago, ti guy said:

So, then, explain to me, why is a gravel bike not allowed in a mtb national event? Or, why is a mtb not allowed in a CX event? [of course not apposite to SA]

I don't have to explain it to you. Besides, thats essentially been asked and answered already on the last couple of pages. You obviously are adamant on your stance, which is fine, but others can also not agree. 

14 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I don't think the field of gravel racers on gravel bikes is consistently big enough for the organisers to be too picky or too caught up in the 'race' aspect while the market finds it's feet and establishes itself.

They need numbers on the start line or there will be nothing for the racers to race.

I've been to my share of "gravel" events in the last few years, and the MTB/gravel bike split is very much in favour of the MTB, because why on earth would you want to buy a bike with zero suspension and ride across dirt roads (coming from a gravel bike owner). 

It's horses for courses, really. Gravel bikes with their skinnier tyres will always be faster on smooth gravel, but when you add other elements such as sand, single track etc, your advantages end there. 

12 hours ago, babse said:

Yeah be lekker and ride your bike... Many peeps after so many years still pitch to road races on their mtb just because they want to ride their bike in "controlled environment". No issues here. 

Okes on MTBs at gravel races are at a disadvantage anyway not!? 

It depends on the course. 

From the same CSA press release there’s a link to the UCI statement on gravel as a discipline  - “The UCI has chosen not to make the regulations too strict in the first years, allowing participants to compete on any type of bike without electrical assistance (gravel, cyclo-cross, road, mountain bike, …). This will be evaluated in the upcoming years.” 

https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/the-uci-launches-worldwide-series-of-gravel-events/6nXXXY2SoWbc5rKLnjmQW5#:~:text=The 2022 UCI Gravel World,Italy%2C the Netherlands and Spain.

7 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

From the same CSA press release there’s a link to the UCI statement on gravel as a discipline  - “The UCI has chosen not to make the regulations too strict in the first years, allowing participants to compete on any type of bike without electrical assistance (gravel, cyclo-cross, road, mountain bike, …). This will be evaluated in the upcoming years.” 

https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/the-uci-launches-worldwide-series-of-gravel-events/6nXXXY2SoWbc5rKLnjmQW5#:~:text=The 2022 UCI Gravel World,Italy%2C the Netherlands and Spain.

Thats e-crimination .... 🤪

The 10.000 yard stare. LtD went solo for the about the first 200 kms, got caught and dropped, chased back on for 80 kms and, met eish. What a bike racer.

95568383-0C32-4314-9112-B0DB58B19AEF.jpeg

24 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

The 10.000 yard stare. LtD went solo for the about the first 200 kms, got caught and dropped, chased back on for 80 kms and, met eish. What a bike racer.

95568383-0C32-4314-9112-B0DB58B19AEF.jpeg

I listened to that interview as he was sitting there, just a brain fart moment to think he could solo all that way into a headwind, should've just sat up after his other 2 break away companions dropped.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That was a full and busy weekend
Swenson is clearly in great shape!

image.png.9022846fbd63b942c3165f3793baa3dd.png

Edited by splat