Bike seized up, looking for advice on a new one - XL.

Cutney

Good day kind sirs and madams

I'd been heavily training for the Argus on my Cannondale Caad8 bike, but it seized up on Friday.

I'm now in a panic to find/borrow/rent/fix/buy a new one as soon as possible, so I will be used to it come race day.

While looking to rent-a-bike, I've found it will cost around R2-3k to have it for enough time to get used to.
So, now I figure I'd rather put that R2-3k toward a new bike since I doubt my Caad8 will be fixed in time, and maybe I can justify an upgrade.

Initially, I thought my budget was going to be around R15k but it's tough to find something I like or think is worthwhile.

MERIDA Scultura 100 (2021) R13500 vs TITAN Valerian Comp (2021) R28000

Is the Titan worth double the Merida? What are the main factors? Any input/advice/links/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

--

I'm about 195cm, slightly more than a weekend warrior maybe looking to take cycling more seriously.

19 minutes ago, Cutney said:

Good day kind sirs and madams

I'd been heavily training for the Argus on my Cannondale Caad8 bike, but it seized up on Friday.

I'm now in a panic to find/borrow/rent/fix/buy a new one as soon as possible, so I will be used to it come race day.

While looking to rent-a-bike, I've found it will cost around R2-3k to have it for enough time to get used to.
So, now I figure I'd rather put that R2-3k toward a new bike since I doubt my Caad8 will be fixed in time, and maybe I can justify an upgrade.

Initially, I thought my budget was going to be around R15k but it's tough to find something I like or think is worthwhile.

MERIDA Scultura 100 (2021) R13500 vs TITAN Valerian Comp (2021) R28000

Is the Titan worth double the Merida? What are the main factors? Any input/advice/links/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

--

I'm about 195cm, slightly more than a weekend warrior maybe looking to take cycling more seriously.

Wondering how much this is? 

Vanquish Elite Carbon Aero Bike | 5 Year Multi-User Warranty (titanracingbikes.com)

40 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

I saw it sold for R37k on here about a year ago... That's a little to much to invest for me.

40 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean seized up? There is still plenty of time to have a bike repaired.

Long story short the chain came off at high speeds and got really jammed in-between the rear derailleur/spokes/cassette. I nearly died since it put the wheel to a halt. The chain/wheels now flows backwards and forwards, as one - no free flowing back wheel. Freehub issues? Hopefully some of that makes sense?

I'm told because it's an older bike it's now going to be a matter of sourcing parts and there's no eta on that. 

I hope you're right and it's enough time but I don't want to find out the hard way that it wasn't... plus, I'm assuming it's going to cost an arm and a leg to get fixed, so I'm considering rather putting that money toward a new bike.

Edited by Cutney

The CAAD 8 is probably one of the lightest alu frames that you can get.  I bought one when I got back into cycling, and then upgraded parts I bought on the Hub. 10 Speed 105 and Mavic wheels. It is also a very good bike for long distances. When I upgraded bikes this one went onto the trainer. I'm sure you can find the parts you need in the classifieds and have your bike ready in time.

20200809_114439_HDR.jpg

20 minutes ago, RudolphG said:

The CAAD 8 is probably one of the lightest alu frames that you can get.  I bought one when I got back into cycling, and then upgraded parts I bought on the Hub. 10 Speed 105 and Mavic wheels. It is also a very good bike for long distances. When I upgraded bikes this one went onto the trainer. I'm sure you can find the parts you need in the classifieds and have your bike ready in time.

20200809_114439_HDR.jpg

That's one mighty fine looking bike you got there.

Thanks, maybe an upgrade isn't necessary and all will be well in time.

I do/did like my Caad8 and was on the verge of upgrading it's wheels within the next few months.

I'm in the market for a CAAD8 myself and I definitely wouldn't choose many modern bikes over it. It's a fantastic frame with a large fanbase for a good reason. Sounds like your freehub might be damaged - if I were you I would take it to Nils at woodstock cycles. Meanwhile, pick up a decent set of wheels on the bikehub and you should be golden. It should be a a half hour exercise to swop your cassette over and get the shifting dialled and get back to riding. In my opinion, better than getting a whole new bike before a race that you've been anticipating. 

29 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

if I were you I would take it to Nils at woodstock cycles

Thanks, I'll wait to hear what my current bike shop has to say and if it's anything other than "You can expect your bike within the week" I'll take it here.

28 minutes ago, droo said:

Buying a new bike because your chain fell off seems a bit extreme. Take it to a reputable bike shop and see what can be done. 

I agree but from what I'm told it heavily damaged to spokes/freehub.

I'm in a bit of a panic (although you guys have calmed me down) and thought I may be due an upgrade (although you guys seems to disagree). I also thought, if it came to it, I didn't want to spend like 10% of a new bike just to rent one... so contemplating all my options and at the end of the day, it's why I'm here 😃

At worst it sounds like you're in for a new wheelset, which shouldn't be too challenging. As long as your frame and rear mech are fine you could be back on the road by the middle of the week. 

You don't say where you're based, if you do someone will be able to point you in the direction of a decent wheelbuilder. 

If you are looking for an excuse to upgrade I won't stop you, but you're far more likely to find a bargain in the weeks after the tour when everyone who's had a crap race gets rid of their bikes. 

Edited by droo
Added stuff

34 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

pfffft

It sounds like a perfectly reasonable reason for a new bike 😝

I know this isn't a punt for anything you're selling, no ways it would be an xl... 

8 minutes ago, droo said:

You don't say where you're based, if you do someone will be able to point you in the direction of a decent wheelbuilder.

I'm in Stellenbosch and my bike is currently at Outdoor Escape.

3 hours ago, droo said:

Buying a new bike because your chain fell off seems a bit extreme. Take it to a reputable bike shop and see what can be done. 

It seized up... in other words the the motor is FUBER

Edited by SwissVan