Should e-bikes be allowed in Cycle Tour and other Races

Ravenhash

24 minutes ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

So he came first in his ebike category ... Must be a road Ebike ...those things are fast ... but still in a different category. 

Must be a good rider to be in 1A ... but wont be able to claim any prize money and will still be in the ebike classification. 

Was a MTB

18CD2344-3D29-4034-916E-98808AE9A78F.jpeg

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Ravenhash said:

If you ride an e-bike you already a doper. Fast or Slow if what you put out is more than what you put in there's no way if considering Cycling. Being slow myself it sucks that I see guys who ride these e-bikes put in so little effort for so much gains. It makes one despondent to enter any Ride or Race (same thing). 

Na, my Mrs is no doper. If she's riding at pace, she's doing so alongside me. Putting me in the hurt box at times, while I'm sweating bullets and she's putting in a top effort herself. So don't be despondent as I started somewhere once too, but sure do love a hard training ride with my Mrs alongside joining me vs riding apart and meeting up back at home hours later. She's cycling, it will always be considered cycling. 

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

Information is Power 🙂 I just learnt a few things!

3. E-Bikes/ Power Assisted Bicycles

3.1. Definition: In this clause the term “e-bike” means a bicycle that has pedals as its primary mode of propulsion and an auxiliary electric motor as a form of power assistance.
3.2. Should a cyclist wish to use a power assisted (PAS) bicycle in the Cape Town Cycle Tour only a bicycle which has electricity as its auxiliary power may be ridden.
3.3. Should a rider wish to partake in the Cycle Tour by using an e-bike, such rider must select the E-bike category when completing the online entry for the Cycle Tour.
3.4. If the rider failed to register in the E-bike category, he/she will not be allowed to partake in the Cycle Tour.
3.5. Any person riding an e-bike on the Cycle Tour that has not formally entered as an E-Bike participant shall be disqualified from this and future Cycle Tours.
3.6. An e-bike may only be used by a rider in the Cycle Tour if such e-bike adheres to ALL of the following requirements:
3.6.1. it weighs less than 30 kg;
3.6.2. it looks like a bicycle and accordingly must contain pedals which serve as the principal method of propulsion;
3.6.3. the auxiliary electric motor with which it is equipped has a maximum continuous rated power of 250W (or 0.25kW);
3.6.4. the motorised assistance only engages when the rider is pedalling, progressively reduces and finally cuts off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h or sooner (i.e. no permanently powered bicycles);
3.6.5. it is fitted with a control mechanism that limits the maximum electric powered speed on PAS (power assist) mode to 25 km/h;
3.6.6. is fitted with all the safety equipment recommended, and/or required under South African road traffic legislation, for pedal cycles.
3.7. An e-bike rider may not start or attempt to start the event before his/her designated starting time slot. Any rider who does so will be disqualified with immediate effect.
3.8. E-bike results will be marked as such in the Cycle Tour results and may not be used as seeding for other cycling events.
3.9. Riders using e-bikes will not qualify for any prize in the Cycle Tour.
3.10. The fastest time that a cyclist, using an e-bike, may complete the event is 3hr 50min. Any e-bike cyclists recording a time of less than 3hr 50min will be disqualified.

Eldron worth noting that these rules perfectly allign with the SANS codes for use of ebikes on the road in SA.  In short, once again SA adopted the Colonial rules.

The fun starts that a very significant percentage of ebikes sold in SA are supposedly from NON-European markets, and tuned with the American 20mph, or 32km/h, speed assist limit. 

But even with a 32km/h assist limit an ebike rider wont be able to hang with mid-pack road riders.

47 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Was a MTB

That's a massive chainring for a ebike ...and looks like a battery extender ... that bike has been chipped .

and lycra on a ebike 😣

That guy looks like he is in his 70's .... ebikes , the great equalizer .... love it

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts

10 hours ago, Ravenhash said:

Is it now completely acceptable that e-bikes are considered a Bicycle and allowed in Cycle Races? I think they should banned from Cycle Races and given an event just for them. I won't mention names but 2 riders switched bikes (one e-bike and the other on a road bike) in the 99er, yes you know who you are.

So how is this a fair result even if it's just a fun ride. I mean why then complain when Cyclist draft a truck or bus, it's then just a fun ride.

WOW !!

After so many years on the Bike Hub you have DOUBLED your post count on this thread in one day ......

Clearly ebikes got under your skin .... PLEASE report those two riders to the organisers.   Swopping bikes is WAY past the vast majority of ebikers that just want to enjoy these events.

Sincerely hope you get past this and get on with enjoying your sport.  

Similarly, I DO hope the rules gets applied and ebikers get to enjoy the "FUN RIDES", without impeding the racing groups.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I know another old bugger eating up Strava KOM's in our area on his E-Bike.

He, of course, is only targeting steep uphill KOM's - doesn't give a damn that he's cheating!

as I said...Old Bugger!

4 minutes ago, RobbyB said:

I know another old bugger eating up Strava KOM's in our area on his E-Bike.

He, of course, is only targeting steep uphill KOM's - doesn't give a damn that he's cheating!

as I said...Old Bugger!

Strava has a separate leader board for Ebikers ....  

Flag his rides and they will get deleted if he is not loading them as such. 

Just now, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Strava has a separate leader board for Ebikers ....  

Flag his rides and they will get deleted if he is not loading them as such. 

I have a number of times (Thanks for your info).

He is a persistent Ol' Bugger!

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

So this guy, riding an eBike at the 947 did 2:17 on his eBike; has his results showing as a eBike. Based on his number, I’m guessing this is the guy that came passed me going up Jan Smuts.

He did the Cycle Tour in 2021 in 2:48 and is seeded 1A for the 2022 CTCT. 

0D48D14F-74DE-4C7B-99BF-F9C8B7D8FA8A.png.dda8091fea84b80f8af359f41ebf8fc3.png

B81478AC-5475-4FB9-96BF-B586ACE5DBBB.png

Genuinely curious if he will be allowed to start in 1A if he pitches there on his e-bike