E-bikes on Strava

Velosauce

There is a local guy and his buddy on his enduro motorbike ripping up all the Strava KOMs in Pretoria East. I even commented on the guys one ride and said politely. 'Bru, can you set these to private, you are on a motorbike. You know Strava is an app for athletes? Cyclists, Runners, Swimmers etc" His response? Who says it's for athletes? he goes on. 

LOL Strava is useless, can't even auto flag with top speeds of 115km/h, climbing a cat 3 climb at 40km/h, beating the local pros by like 3 min up... HR constant around 80 bpm. Oke is chilling.

He even changes the rides name to something like "MX enduro ride with the KTM" 

I just can't deal with the ignorance 😂

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you spend your afternoon flagging strava rides then rethink why you have bicycle

The bike should be there for enjoyment/ health. Tools you ad to it should ad value to that and if they don't you don't need them.

Your enjoyment of your bicycle should be priority..

Strava should also allow add motorsports activities though, when I was riding enduro or when I train on the racetrack on my motorbikes, I'd like to track that time/HR in zone as part of my total training time separate form cycling. Sometimes I record it as ebike/velomobile/cross country ski to have a GPS map / HR, but ebike and velomobile tends to try and estimate watts (which is obviously ridiculous on a motorbike) 🤣

Edited by Jbr

12 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

If you spend your afternoon flagging strava rides then rethink why you have bicycle

The bike should be there for enjoyment/ health. Tools you ad to it should ad value to that and if they don't you don't need them.

Your enjoyment of your bicycle should be priority..

With premium service auto bulk flagger, you won`t have to spend your afternoon manually flagging all rides faster than you. I will build this to auto flag rides every hour. My list of random reason is growing, thank you for posters in this thread for more flag reasons, please add more:

1. eBike

2. MX motorbike

3. Mathias Flückiger`s shadow account

1 hour ago, jcza said:

Precisely my point. If ebikers can see all the segments they won’t need to create own which I suspect is why won’t log as ebike. 

I'm afraid you've lost me.

50 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Strava should also allow add motorsports activities though, when I was riding enduro or when I train on the racetrack on my motorbikes, I'd like to track that time/HR in zone as part of my total training time separate form cycling. Sometimes I record it as ebike/velomobile/cross country ski to have a GPS map / HR, but ebike and velomobile tends to try and estimate watts (which is obviously ridiculous on a motorbike) 🤣

Agreed. Definitely value in adding motorsports. Garmin and Suunto already have these as options when you log on the device, so it could be picked up automatically by strava too.

Okes who think enduro motorbikes aren’t a workout don’t know what they talking about. I have never been as broken and exhausted after an ride as when I still did enduro - as in motorbike enduro.

Edited by esCape-ist

16 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I'm afraid you've lost me.

Ebikes only see ebike segments, not regular segments. Let them see regular segments but mark their rides as ebikes.

Delete strava, it’s **** anyway. Facebook for cyclists. 

Also try riding without a computer on your bars for a change. Look around, enjoy the fact that you are actually outside enjoying being healthy.
By all means record your crap on you phone/device, just plonk it in your back pocket.

It’s awesome.

29 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

Agreed. Definitely value in adding motorsports. Garmin and Suunto already have these as options when you log on the device, so it could be picked up automatically by strava too.

Okes who think enduro motorbikes aren’t a workout don’t know what they talking about. I have never been as broken and exhausted after an ride as when I still did enduro - as in motorbike enduro.

The heavier the thing between your legs…the more body language it requires👀

yes we are still talking about bikes…i think

3 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

That requires honesty. Riding an ebike is already dishonest.

Whats dishonest? eBikes have opened up cycling to an entire community that previously would not be interested in cycling.

More so, you can absolutely still get a workout on an ebike without breaking yourself, which allows you to ride more often.

Pedal assisted bikes are not motor bikes - its time we honestly stop with the naivity around this new segment of rider.

53 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Also try riding without a computer on your bars for a change. Look around, enjoy the fact that you are actually outside enjoying being healthy.
By all means record your crap on you phone/device, just plonk it in your back pocket.

It’s awesome.

I'm happy for you, any other life absolutes you'd like to share?

I'm pretty sure I fall short of your expectations in many of them ...

Thank heavens I'm old enough not to care what other people think or think about the way I decide to do things for myself and what makes me happy

I've made my peace with ebikers, like with most other things in life you get some idiots on 'digital' bikes

12 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I'm happy for you, any other life absolutes you'd like to share?

I'm pretty sure I fall short of your expectations in many of them ...

Thank heavens I'm old enough not to care what other people think or think about the way I decide to do things for myself and what makes me happy

I've made my peace with ebikers, like with most other things in life you get some idiots on 'digital' bikes

The thread is about people complaining about people doing what they want on ebikes and not caring about the ‘spirit’ of what strava is about. People literally getting panties in a twist about what other people do and how it affects their enjoyment of a social media platform. 

i wasn't judging, i was merely offering a solution to said ‘problem’. the fact that it looks like it hit a nerve even though it wasn't really meant to, maybe points to the fact that you do actually care? Maybe?

anyway, no hard feelings, wasnt my intention. I was just typing in the moment.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

It’s awesome.

I have never used strava and likely never will.

I don't ride with any technology because in my opinion it creates a more pure and enjoyable riding experience. I ride to get outdoors, so why should I bring devices when I could just be on them inside my house on the couch. Except for bringing a phone for safety, I do not see the point.

I am not the fastest up a hill, but can keep up with pretty much anyone (you wouldn't believe the surprise on an xc rider's face when he is going hard and you pass him on a 16kg enduro bike with DH tires haha)

Also Strava makes people assholes sometimes. When I first started riding trails, some guys would get furious when I waited to move over to let them pass where it was safe for both parties, because it ruined their Strava run. It only takes a few experiences like that for a newbie to paint all riders with the same brush.

6 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Nothing imaginary about something that is virtual.
Nothing strange about defining a set of rules to formulate a challenge and people wanting to be measured against others in completion of that challenge.

Participating in something community based = insecurity?
I'd rather venture that judging others for participating in an activity that doesn't interest you might indicate some insecurity...

No, CARING and complaining about how other people participate in the same thing is insecure.

Who cares if someone is above you on a leaderboard that has no real life bearing?

I am on STRAVA, if I wasn't private I would have a few KOMS and a whole bunch of Trail Running CRs. For this post I just googled and I would even have a comfortable top 10 on the 13 peaks leaderboard. 

Nothing you say will convince me that STRAVA isn't just an addictive add on that is completely unnecessary. I will leave this here... Addicts will find ways to justify their addiction and believe it.

If people use e-bikes or cars etc who cares and more importantly, WHY do you care? They are not cheating anyone out of anything real. 

The owner of 5000 KOMS could quit STRAVA tomorrow, not die, not be slower and not be less competitive at races.

It's a post on social media, you're just hung up on it because you're drinking the cool aid they are serving

He doesn't comprehend the concept of racing, we had a similar debate last year about why we see the Cycle tour as a race, so how could he understand that some people use the Strava segments for what they are : a race.

I personally don't give too much credit to them anymore are there are variables out of my control (wind, GPS accuracy, people driving their garmin, pacing in group, motorpacing, using TT bikes or E-bikes) and also because so many of the segments contain robots or stop signs that you'd have to go through full speed to chase them, but I wouldn't go tell everyone who cares a speach about how they should care about the "real" stuff.

BTW, I could quit many things in my life tomorrow and still be alive, this argument is a bit silly

Edited by Jbr