Which bikes to buy for fiancé and me?

nathanmaingard

Hi, there, brand new here. 

I haven't ridden much since living in London some years ago (and my days as a barefoot kid on country roads back in the 90's). 

My fiancé and I are keen to use bikes for both getting around (mix of gravel and tar roads) and for getting into some basic mountain biking (very tame initially)

We went into The Bike Shop in Plettenberg Bay and the very knowledgeable Kevin recommended some Specialized bikes for around R12k each (a little above our ideal budget of 10k per bike), which seemed like a good starting place. 

Then a friend of ours said that buying new is a bad idea and told us about the Bike Hub, saying that we could spend much better money getting second hand bikes here...and so here we are. 

Thing is I have no idea of:

• what to look for in terms of features like brakes, shocks, size, wheels, etc
  • what to pay
  • if a bike has potential issues
  • etc

So, oh wise ones of Bike Hub, do we:

1. Buy new bikes and have the joy of trusting a professional
  2. Learn at the feet of the oracle here on bike hub and buy second hand ones
  3. Become horse-riders?

Thanks a bunch, wishing y'all a merry day

Nathan and Carly

Edited by nathanmaingard
Spelling 😁

Cycling is a great sport and at least you don't have to pay monthly stabling fees.

Sounds like a hardtail MTB would be a good choice and it you bought an extra set of wheels for slick or gravel tyres then you have two bikes in one. Just remember for each new set of wheels you purchase you'll need to purchase another two brake rotors (front & back) and cassette (maybe another 2K).

A dual suspension bike is a lot more expensive (purchase and maintenance) but gives a much more forgiving/comfortable ride. 

Trouble is that the more you like the sport, the more you will want to upgrade to "improve" your ride. This includes carbon accessories (handlebars/seatpost) that lighten the bike and reduce the vibration/jarring nature of metal alloys. Carbon frames are lighter/easier to propel forward and make hill climbing easier. If you are lightweight (with maybe < avg. strength) then I suggest a carbon frame / if you are a heavyweight (with maybe > avg. strength)  then steel/aluminium is more advisable (IMO).

A comfortable saddle is an essential (can take a bit of experimenting with different saddles), especially for the ladies. A relief channel running down the length is a good idea.

As a couple you need to identify your competitive/social riding desires. Often the guy is more competitive (this is a generalisation) and is inclined to want to race, the lady not as much (but the reverse could be true). Hopefully you both have a similar outlooks as to what you want to get out of cycling. 

MTB'ing and road/gravel are very different in skill levels required so take your time before you attempt any tricky/technical MTB trails.

All second hand bikes have potential issues - eg. like a lack of maintenance or cracks in the frame. Some new bikes could also have potential flaws but you do have a warranty - if the company will stand by it.

Get assistance (not a salesman) to check out bikes and to do a test ride before you purchase. I have bought LOTS of stuff off BikeHub and consider it a great way to get into cycling or to upgrade your bikes. Please be aware that stocks are low and prices are high at the moment - even old bikes are being sold for "a pretty penny". 

Research will be your best bet in getting to know about different types of bikes and remember that bike size is of paramount importance coz riding comfort/position is absolutely essential.

Good luck with your endeavours...

Edited by RobbyB
spelling

6 minutes ago, RobbyB said:

Please read the "Petition: Bring Back the Classifieds Comments" in the Forums. It can give good insight into the shenanigans of certain sellers.

And do ask questions on that thread if you are considering any purchase.

Welcome to the Hub. 

Given your location (I'm assuming Plett), buying 2nd hand will be more difficult and although buying sight unseen remotely can definitely work, it increases the risk, especially with a mtb which is prone to more wear than a road bike.

From that perspective I'd say buying new might be a better option. Especially since you're basically new to the sport and will benefit hugely from the bike shop assisting with setup. The right saddle and good positioning on the bike (setup) could be the difference between you guys making full use of the bikes & one of you (of both) being so uncomfortable that you end up packing it in after a short while.

Good luck!

Secondhand is cool and all if you know exactly what you are looking for but there is always a reason why a bike is being sold. 

Buy new and have peace of mind that you have a warranty, shop support, at least one free service, and the expertise of the shop to help you set up the bike. 

Thanks so much everyone, this has been super helpful for us, we're getting the info we need to make our first purchase, woohooo 😁. Can't wait to get back on wheels, it's been too long. Thanks again, your input has been super insightful and detailed. Happy spinning

I'm going to echo the buy new sentiments of previous posts. Warranty and shop support are worth it. Your budget will push you to entry level hard tails. There is nothing wrong with these bikes, but be aware that a lot of the components are not the most durable or robust, so if you really decide to get into the sport the bikes might end up letting you down

Just looking at your question, you have indirectly answered yourself. 

Unless you know what you are looking for, then you got to go new. 

Second hand, Ending up with a bike the wrong size will put you off cycling forever. Ending up with a broken or worn bike could end up costing a fortune. 

Perhaps, get your friend involved if you are wanted to go second hand. Maybe he/she can help

3 hours ago, robbybzgo said:

Look at this advert posted this morning:

2 x mountain bikes and accessories for sale

I can't find the ad, but thanks for sharing