Bikejacked and then not willing to press charges-CPT March 2022

Titleist

I'm trying to figure out how the flip the oke managed to pedal all the way to Jonkershoek from Richwood so quickly...🤔

The bike owner probably did not press charges because he knows the lass of having to then go through the whole court system. To be completely honest I'd also be very hesitant of having to endure a court process. Is this right? Obviously not. Will the perpetrator really get corrective service? Maybe.

I reckon the correct way to handle this is via the legal justice system , but I also understand why people are not wanting to get sucked into that black hole.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't have to press charges for theft. The police gan deal with that. You have to press charges for assault and battery if you wish.

Years ago, my 14 year old sister took my dad's bike down the road to the local shops. Her friend waited outside with the bikes while sis went in.

A guy came up to her, shoved her and took dad's bike.

It was a one of a kind Giant XTC that had been imported from the UK, so was very distinctive.

About 6 months later, I'm driving down the road and see a guy riding dad's bike! I cautiously follow him while calling my dad and trying to figure out what I'm going to do, when some cops happen to drive past 

I flagged them down just as dad arrived and we got to take the bike home.

My sister's friend then had to deal with multiple court dates, identification of the suspect etc, only for him to be let off with a warning because "he stole it to use for transport to work" and it was his first offence.

Edited by Trashy

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm trying to figure out how the flip the oke managed to pedal all the way to Jonkershoek from Richwood so quickly...🤔

I was also wondering. Turns out it's Jonkershoek Road in Richwood.

26 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Years ago, my 14 year old sister took my dad's bike down the road to the local shops. Her friend waited outside with the bikes while sis went in.

A guy came up to her, shoved her and took dad's bike.

It was a one of a kind Giant XTC that had been imported from the UK, so was very distinctive.

About 6 months later, I'm driving down the road and see a guy riding dad's bike! I cautiously follow him while calling my dad and trying to figure out what I'm going to do, when some cops happen to drive past 

I flagged them down just as dad arrived and we got to take the bike home.

My sister's friend then had to deal with multiple court dates, identification of the suspect etc, only for him to be let off with a warning because "he stole it to use for transport to work" and it was his first offence.

The police exist for one purpose in this country - to get a case number for insurance claims. 

as for the formal justice system, It is a joke. There is a reason township justice exists.

Edited by Furbz

The point is that the message to the criminals is that it's a free for all. The thief is going to do it again whereas if charges were filed then there might have been a slight chance that he won't do it again. Next time it might be someone else's wife, daughter or son being harmed by the same guy.  One cannot complain about the state of SA if you aren't willing to be part of the solution.

There is no solution, the system is FUBAR. 
ots needs a reset.

if youve been through this you'd know how the police deal with privileged middle class ‘complaining’ about something as trivial  as a stolen recreational bicycle….never mind the fact that it was also armed robbery, they don't care.
They have to deal with bodies, rapes, murders in other areas. My assigned copper never even phoned me again haha. So i paid someone and found my things and my perp myself. 

1 hour ago, Trashy said:

So my suspicions were not so far off the mark after all. Who wants to put up with the bureaucracy just to see justice NOT get served. Not me.

2 hours ago, Trashy said:

only for him to be let off with a warning because "he stole it to use for transport to work" and it was his first offence.

But next time it will be a repeat offence (like a certain ex cabinet minister) - provided the next victim presses charges ...

5 hours ago, Titleist said:

Next time it might be someone else's wife, daughter or son being harmed by the same guy.  One cannot complain about the state of SA if you aren't willing to be part of the solution.

Precisely what happened to Jayde Panayioutou.  The triggerman, Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, was the same guy who invaded my home with his mates a few years earlier.  At 1 in the morning he was right next to me when he saw me waking on my couch and thought that was his cue to stab me.  Screamed louder than Oscar which startled the thug.  I’m a big guy and when I swung at him luckily struck his trachea.  Dropped him, moered him and have the knife scar on my hand.  One of his mates was caught running away with four of my watches, my phone and the GF’s tablet by a passing cop van.

Two caught and GF and I attended two court sessions before the prosecutor and judicial system screwed it up.  Vumazonke should have been in jail already when he shot Jayde.

Edited by justinafrika

3 hours ago, Trashy said:

"he stole it to use for transport to work" and it was his first offence.

I just remembered we are not allowed to swear on the hub. 

Yeah although I understand the point of this thread, it's getting depressing very quickly...but a great excuse to go for a ride tomorrow morning for some much needed serotonin!

1 hour ago, justinafrika said:

Precisely what happened to Jayde Panayioutou.  The triggerman, Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, was the same guy who invaded my home with his mates a few years earlier.  At 1 in the morning he was right next to me when he saw me waking on my couch and thought that was his cue to stab me.  Screamed louder than Oscar which startled the thug.  I’m a big guy and when I swung at him luckily struck his trachea.  Dropped him, moered him.  One of his mates was caught running away with four of my watches, my phone and the GF’s tablet by a passing cop van.

Two caught and GF and I attended two court sessions before the prosecutor and judicial system screwed it up.  Vumazonke should have been in jail already when he shot Jade.

First time you shared this I was dizzy. I still am. 

46 minutes ago, Kameel said:

Yeah although I understand the point of this thread, it's getting depressing very quickly...but a great excuse to go for a ride tomorrow morning for some much needed serotonin!

Better to live in ignorance I think