What Gravel Bike Should I Buy?

Paul Groenewald

Hi there. I've been looking into getting a gravel bike recently. I've cycled on and off for most of my life and am looking to get a gravel bike which is decent off the bat and can be upgraded as I move along on my journey. It will be used for some races and definitely some adventures. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Paul.

10 hours ago, Paul Groenewald said:

Hi there. I've been looking into getting a gravel bike recently. I've cycled on and off for most of my life and am looking to get a gravel bike which is decent off the bat and can be upgraded as I move along on my journey. It will be used for some races and definitely some adventures. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Paul.

Very broad question with an unknown budget

there are so many good ones out there but my recommendation would be for one that takes nice wide tyres - these eat up bumps and make for a comfy ride.  

For me, on gravel

Stick with 2x drivetrains (lots of gears means you can fine tune your effort on flattish roads) 

Make sure it can take a 45mm wide tyre for SA roads

160mm disc brakes

Aluminium wheels are preferred

Road shoes are fine (or whatever you have now) 

Get a slightly flared bar in your normal width

54 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

For me, on gravel

Stick with 2x drivetrains (lots of gears means you can fine tune your effort on flattish roads) 

Make sure it can take a 45mm wide tyre for SA roads

160mm disc brakes

Aluminium wheels are preferred

Road shoes are fine (or whatever you have now) 

Get a slightly flared bar in your normal width

And hydraulic brakes

Think you will be limited more by what is actually available to buy. The Specialized Diverge and Giant Revolt are two great options. Decent tyre clearance on both models with a wide variety of models and specs theoretically available. Personally I'm on a Revolt that I upgraded with some 40mm carbon wheels, 38c Panaracers and a clutch derailleur. Done everything from 947 to Modderfontein trails on it

9 minutes ago, thebob said:

Think you will be limited more by what is actually available to buy. The Specialized Diverge and Giant Revolt are two great options. Decent tyre clearance on both models with a wide variety of models and specs theoretically available. Personally I'm on a Revolt that I upgraded with some 40mm carbon wheels, 38c Panaracers and a clutch derailleur. Done everything from 947 to Modderfontein trails on it

The Revolt is a great bang for buck bike!

21 hours ago, Paul Groenewald said:

Kind regards, Paul.

Like thebob says, your decision will ultimately be made by what's actually available vs. your budget at the time.

Stock of bikes and parts is very low around the world. This is very frustrating when all the marketing engines are at full speed, but not much is actually available.

If you didn't buy a full bike, you could get a frame and piece it together if you werent in a rush. But you would still be facing the same challenges re. stock.

If you were resourceful, you could do some shopping around overseas. 
Canyon has that Grizl for example.

What sort of budget are you looking at ?

I really enjoy my Litespeed Gravel, it's just a solid go anywhere, do anything bike and the bigger volume tires really do make a difference to the ride quality.

I also agree with the prior comment about 2 x. No amount of marketing can undo the empirical evidence, cross chaining is just a waste of energy and having 2 rings at the front does make a difference when your riding on the road or gravel.

IMG_4750.JPG.735304421feb092bfb3c3c5b2132e6b0.JPG

Edited by WIPEOUT 1000

I have 2x Parlee Chebacco builds coming in. A high end dream frameset, zipp allu components, ritchey allu wheels and Rival AXS.

1 hour ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I have never ridden this and thought “wish I had 2 x”

F7485F3D-730F-41E8-A589-B738BFAB384B.jpeg

Agreed. The simplicity of 1x on the gravel bike is fantastic and the 1w you lose by cross chaining you can save by not having a 200g ish of front derailleur and extra chainring. 

I may be biased but the Storck Grix looks really nice, I have been eyeing it in the shop and can't wait to take one out. The clearance with 650b is INSANE, more than I think you would need unless touring, and 700c is not bad at all either