[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

SuzieK

How do I query my seeding?

What does the weather look like?

I'm so undertrained.... I've just come back from illness..... I've just come back from injury.... and other pre race start line excuses and banter.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm so undertrained.... I've just come back from illness..... I've just come back from injury.... and other pre race start line excuses and banter.

with the smorgasbord of weather forecast apps on offer, pick the one that fits your bias confirmation.

but, from the looks of it, the start will be fresher than many would like, but with will be tame. Any wind will offer the mildest assistance from Piketberg to Elands. Eschew the chance to go catch some waves with the hippie surfers when you get there as the headwind home looks to be slight.

If you're dressed warmly for the start, you may find it fine to stay that way to the end

And beware on the road from Dwarskers - the road is quite busy, is narrow with no shoulder and the cars are big and fast

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

If you injured yourself getting off the couch then this is going to be interesting 😂

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

lots of different apps available, but yeah, what #Lechatnoir said looks about the same as what Epic Ride Weather is predicting.

EpicRideWeatherForecast.png

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

with the smorgasbord of weather forecast apps on offer, pick the one that fits your bias confirmation.

but, from the looks of it, the start will be fresher than many would like, but with will be tame. Any wind will offer the mildest assistance from Piketberg to Elands. Eschew the chance to go catch some waves with the hippie surfers when you get there as the headwind home looks to be slight.

If you're dressed warmly for the start, you may find it fine to stay that way to the end

And beware on the road from Dwarskers - the road is quite busy, is narrow with no shoulder and the cars are big and fast

1.6m at 14 seconds with a very light SE... Will probably be absolutely cooking waves at Farmer Burgers.. 

I am jesting. I know I'm in for a long day and will ride what is in front of me when I get there. 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

If you injured yourself getting off the couch then this is going to be interesting 😂

Geez.... I do that every other day. Lower back kills me after couch naps!

1 hour ago, Denis Dell said:

lots of different apps available, but yeah, what #Lechatnoir said looks about the same as what Epic Ride Weather is predicting.

EpicRideWeatherForecast.png

This is comprehensive! I'm going to hold you to this, Denis!

2 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

So what are everybody's target times to finish this event?  Also, I seem to recall there will be a "sweeper" vehicle, I assume that if you fall behind that, you are kind of screwed?  What is the expected time for that vehicle to finish at?

Anything under 8 hours will be good for me. I'd love to say 7.30 but I think it's unlikely

Im projecting 9hrs in total including all the stops I will make. But with a decent bunch , it can be done in 8hrs averaging 27km/h.

Pacing strategy:

Survive the headwind to the first feed zone without going in too deep. 

Surf the wind to Elands but don't get carried away (a tailwind doesn't always mean you aren't burning any matches). 

Leave enough in the tank for the last 70km as we might be having the SE for Lunch. 

Edited by Sibulele

13 hours ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

we are expecting to release your starting batch and time later this evening. 

👀

Oohhh, the pain cave stories are gonna be lekka to read after this event.

Kudubokke to City Cycling Athletic Club for stepping up and organising something that will get the average amateur dude and dudette out of their comfort zones. Just add winter for some extra toughness.

There are 50 kms between km 199 and km 222, just saying. 🤨

Be safe out there, julle.

8 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Oohhh, the pain cave stories are gonna be lekka to read after this event.

Kudubokke to City Cycling Athletic Club for stepping up and organising something that will get the average amateur dude and dudette out of their comfort zones. Just add winter for some extra toughness.

There are 50 kms between km 199 and km 222, just saying. 🤨

Be safe out there, julle.

This weekend there were 50 km between 55 km and 85 km for me I needed to wee so badly, but only 60 km between 85 km and 200 km. I think I like it that way more.