• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

like starting the heading of you ad off with " Great deal..."

On that, what is 'Urgent Sale'?

I get it if you're in need of cash fast so you sell something well below market value to move it fast, but ads marked 'Urgent Sale' and priced on or above the relevant market price confuse me

Anyway, as you were

Just now, Jewbacca said:

On that, what is 'Urgent Sale'?

I get it if you're in need of cash fast so you sell something well below market value to move it fast, but ads marked 'Urgent Sale' and priced on or above the relevant market price confuse me

Anyway, as you were

Got rid of tons of stuff last month , but like 100 buck brand new sram chainrings ? yeah obviously they went quick 

Something that boggles my mind.

What is your understanding of the term: "Full Carbon"? 

A bike is not "Full Carbon" if the frame alone is carbon. That only makes up around 55-65% of the whole bike. 

I'm not full blown Robocop just because I have a metal pin in my arm / leg or wherever 😁

6 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

A bike is not "Full Carbon" if the frame alone is carbon. That only makes up around 55-65% of the whole bike. 

I'm not full blown Robocop just because I have a metal pin in my arm / leg or wherever 😁

You have to admit it sounds impressive and impactful and makes you want to hand over cash because “full carbon”

I compared a lot of things to last year and everything is skyrocketing, exchange rates, interest rates. Bikes and cars are just on another level, but so long we buy these things the prices will go up. There are also a lot of people with a lot of money that don’t have issue paying R250k on a bike, hence they selling. I ma wait for 5 years and then buy those bikes second hand at a fraction of the price. I received a quote the other day for my drivetrain replacement, I’m still falling off the chair 

12 hours ago, Oufy MTB (Roadie) said:

I compared a lot of things to last year and everything is skyrocketing, exchange rates, interest rates. Bikes and cars are just on another level, but so long we buy these things the prices will go up. There are also a lot of people with a lot of money that don’t have issue paying R250k on a bike, hence they selling. I ma wait for 5 years and then buy those bikes second hand at a fraction of the price. I received a quote the other day for my drivetrain replacement, I’m still falling off the chair 

That's if they are willing to sell. I have 2 very friendly but not shy on spending money on a new bike/s every year to keep up with the latest and greatest tech. one of them currently sitting with a storage unit with a couple of bikes and the other with a decent farm shed with about 30+- since he started riding in 2018, we have now gone into partnership in bike rentals.

Agreed Jimmy 2.0. 
some of them do sell, recently bought 2019 Sworks epic in mint condition for a ‘bargain’, basically less than 1/3 of what it costs when it came out new.

All the best with rental venture 

15 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

My understanding is that "full carbon" refers to the frame itself. It comes from a time when you'd often have carbon forks/alu frame (road bike) and alu front/carbon rear triangle etc. I'm not sure what the term is for carbon everything from the cranks, bars to the jockey wheel and  headset spacers.

"custom" must really grate your carrot too!

Utility is a concept that needs understanding. Value is one aspect but utility is the real measure.

so long as the buyer perceives the utility is higher than the cost it’s all good and looking at sales buyers are happy. 

15 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Back in the day, the first carbon bikes had alu lugs.  I had such a Trek.  
Cannondale later made frames with the rear triangle Alu and the top tube and down tube carbon.  It was called the Systemsix 

Full carbon meant the whole frame together with the lugs and tubes are all made carbon

IMG_5864.JPG

2008_System6_04.JPG

13 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Back in the day, the first carbon bikes had alu lugs.  I had such a Trek.  
Cannondale later made frames with the rear triangle Alu and the top tube and down tube carbon.  It was called the Systemsix 

Full carbon meant the whole frame together with the lugs and tubes are all made carbon

IMG_5864.JPG

2008_System6_04.JPG

The OG Cadex and carbon Vitus were also lugged and bonded. As are the new Atherton / Robot MTB frames, 3D printed Ti lugs with carbon tubes.

2 hours ago, droo said:

The OG Cadex and carbon Vitus were also lugged and bonded. As are the new Atherton / Robot MTB frames, 3D printed Ti lugs with carbon tubes.

Full carbon actually used to refer to carbon monocoque bikes because of the uni moulded construction. 
Joined carbon frames used aluminium or titanium lugs. Trek then did the OCLV which was a carbon lugged carbon tubes frame with an organic aero shape. Prior to this Corima and kestrel did  monocoque frames in carbon fibre at great expense due to each frame size requiring a mould.

Even then as pointed out the header races and bb threads were still moulded in place or bonded in so frames were not truly full carbon. Looks KG196 came closest in later forms. True full carbon frames only became the norm in the last 10years when drop outs were carbon , fork steerer snd crown ( thanks to WoundUp and Reynolds) and headset races (integrated or drop in types) became common practice.

in some respects even these are not true full carbon as glass, Kevlar and natural fibres are also employed in frame layups to tune ride characteristics and reduce cost

All I get from this is that if the BikeHub brainstrust can't agree on what 'Full Carbon' means, how does anyone expect uncaring bikehub noobs to know the correct description?

When I see 'Full Carbon' (Noob) or 'BARGAIN' (almost definitely isn't) or 'Urgent sale' (drug addict) in an advert title I just immediately don't want to click for the reasons in brackets..... 

There are obviously other red flags, like pictures that look like they were taken with a potato and good pictures that are pixelated or are obviously filtered.

But ja, justifying an advert usually pangs of noobness or desperation 

6 hours ago, Shebeen said:

My understanding is that "full carbon" refers to the frame itself. It comes from a time when you'd often have carbon forks/alu frame (road bike) and alu front/carbon rear triangle etc. I'm not sure what the term is for carbon everything from the cranks, bars to the jockey wheel and  headset spacers.

"custom" must really grate your carrot too!

Only if the customisation is simply a set of colour coded grips :P