[Event] B-Well Around The Pot 2022

Events Bot

As @MongooseMan has said, this is a tough situation for the organisers. Disaster management have made the call, probably the correct one. It's out of the organisers hands.

We all get dissappointed and upset when the happens but ultimately safety is paramount and it always going to be tough with forecasts to know if you made it correctly with hindsight.

Edited by matthew de haast

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, these kind of decisions come from higher powers. Disaster management will make that call. Feel for the organisers. They don’t have a say in the final decision. Accommodation already paid and car packed. Me and wifey are going.

Ok, call made:
We're gonna go through, get goodie bags, etc.

Drink beer, etc

Tomorrow, assuming Sunday is cancelled as well, we'll hit the gravel for a ~100k loop all on the west side of the river. We've paid for a weekend away, might as well make the most of it.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3119921543518016730

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/180504138

Edited by MongooseMan

3 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Ok, call made:
We're gonna go through, get goodie bags, etc.

Drink beer, etc

Tomorrow, assuming Sunday is cancelled as well, we'll hit the gravel for a ~100k loop all on the west side of the river. We've paid for a weekend away, might as well make the most of it.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3119921543518016730

Looking at the latest forecasts, the morning actually looks quite clear. You going to have a blast! 🔥

39 minutes ago, zeerpuD1 said:

Don’t the organisers  look at weather reports. Not much rain on Saturday during the morning. No worse than last year. How are people going to change their traveling and accommodation. Not many people will pitch up for a Sunday ride I think

Because everyone always trusts weathermen... reminds me of the quip: “Economists exist to make the weathermen look good”. Read in comic sans.

Spare a thought for the organisers who also want this to go on, as has been pointed out, not their call.

51 minutes ago, zeerpuD1 said:

Don’t the organisers  look at weather reports. Not much rain on Saturday during the morning. No worse than last year. How are people going to change their traveling and accommodation. Not many people will pitch up for a Sunday ride I think

They look at the same weather reports as you and are consistently in comms. At the end of the day, if disaster management makes the call, it's out of the organiser's hands. What do you expect them to do? 
This is an outdoor sport and entirely part of the risk. Chill and enjoy a weekend away for what it is. 

1 hour ago, zeerpuD1 said:

Decision was made by disaster management, NOT the organisers...

So yes, while frustrating, disaster management clearly have more information/experience than we do, it's unfortunate yes, but safety of every individual out there is paramount at the end of the day.

Enjoy the weekend away and if you get to race on Sunday, then bonus.

Also worth remembering: When disaster management steps in to cancel an event like this, it's often not because the event itself is dangerous. It's because the weekend's weather has now stretched the emergency personnel so thinly (dealing with other real-life emergencies) that they cannot give the race the support it needs to be approved.

Eish, I feel for you guys. Same thing happened to us a year or two ago but we went up and still had an amazing weekend and managed to get some great riding in as well.

The back road through Suurbrak and the gravel route to Heidelberg is also an awesome route to ride 🤙

1 hour ago, etienne_jordaan said:

Nope, these kind of decisions come from higher powers. Disaster management will make that call. Feel for the organisers. They don’t have a say in the final decision. Accommodation already paid and car packed. Me and wifey are going.

Very tough pill for organisers to swallow - I wonder what forecasting they're looking at. this does not look like a monster storm from my desk.

Postponing by 24hours is an option, the poor organiser has paid for most of the stuff already. 

We're actually using the race as training for our adventure race team, so we're looking at going for a ride tonight whilst it's still decent anyway in the view that they will be forced to cancel on the sunday. if the postponement happens we are a bit undercooked for such a double day of effort!