Extreme lights nifty - ideas to stop slipping

cathmtb

Hi there,

I recently purchased the extreme lights nifty. As soon as I hit any bumpy single track the light drops. Extreme lights don’t sell a bracket to help stabilize it. It’s fine for road rides. Does anyone have any ideas or also had this problem with this light? I normally place it on the thinnest part of my handle bars and obviously fasten it as tight as I can. 

I am not sure how the clamp looks, but try cutting an old tube to the same width as the clamp. Then insert the cut tube (single layer) between the bars and the clamp. It def helped with my Xeccon light.

tube as mentioned, or glazing tape or something like that no more nails stuff. its thin and gell like so easy to peal if you want to. Obviously sticky tape only if the clamp business stayed on the bar and the rest comes off to charge. just gives that extra grip on the interface between the items. most of the other things i got to clamp to my bars came with some sort of sticky tape included to put between the mount and the bar. 

Edited by MORNE

Cath, get vulcanising rubber tape from your nearest hardware store. Its basiclaly rubber in a roll thats about the size of insulation tape. 

Remember, when you put the vulcanising tape on, you must stretch it to activate the vulcanising bit. 

Best part is that it doesnt leave any sticky residue if you decide to remove it. No mess to clean afterwards 

I'll send you a message later, Ive got some if you want to test it 

51 minutes ago, 117 said:

Cath, get vulcanising rubber tape from your nearest hardware store. Its basiclaly rubber in a roll thats about the size of insulation tape. 

Remember, when you put the vulcanising tape on, you must stretch it to activate the vulcanising bit. 

Best part is that it doesnt leave any sticky residue if you decide to remove it. No mess to clean afterwards 

I'll send you a message later, Ive got some if you want to test it 

Yesss...self fusing tape will do the job. I am using it all the time.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Here are some pics, I contacted extreme lights and this light isn’t compatible with the clamp (doesn’t have the screw that the other lights of theirs have). I don’t want to permanently stick the light to the bars. Maybe I’ll try no more nails. Hope it won’t bugger up my bar. 

ADDAE35A-DE62-4ED9-86C7-6880070E67E7.jpeg

2A532CAD-EE0B-4BE7-8454-AD7094C9083E.jpeg

Yes but they sell generic stuff at most hardware/plumbing stores for a fraction of the cost. Also known as waterproofing/silicone tape in some stores. 

or just build up the mounting spot with a few layers of insulation tape to get the diameter a bit bigger for a snugger fit.

Edited by MORNE

14 minutes ago, MORNE said:

snipped...

or just build up the mounting spot with a few layers of insulation tape to get the diameter a bit bigger for a snugger fit.

Worst move in the world to do. Insulating tape has a purpose in life and shouldnt be used for this application, much like a shifting spanner is used as a vernier in the free state

Another thing on the MTB bars. try and put the lights as near as possible to the stem. The bigger diameter will help with more secure tightening. I experienced on my bars. 

3 hours ago, 117 said:

Worst move in the world to do. Insulating tape has a purpose in life and shouldnt be used for this application, much like a shifting spanner is used as a vernier in the free state

its purpose in life is to do WTF I tell it to do? 😇

it works fine. same for building up rims with deeper channels for tubeless setups before you add the final layer of proper rim tape.

it works because it's so thin and you can control how thick you want it....and because you tell it to 😁

Edited by MORNE

3 hours ago, 117 said:

for holding big mean's strapping place?

All at stake as Boks bid to save face