Bee Attack - near Anna Beulah, Contermanskloof

out there

Interesting thread, I think a good warning to be careful.

I have a history with bees, not a good one because of my stupidity as a boy, we stoned some hives and paid the price, my brother now is at risk of a severe anaphylactic reaction. He handles most wild on his farm, but bees he has to steer well clear of.

On my property I have issues with them on hot days/ use of weedeater/ petrol mower/ chainsaw, they don't like the noise/ vibration. Like folk have said, the first one pings my pip and I head inside quickly before the rest get the message.

We were talking about the urban trend to beekeeping last Sat when riding, its noble, but I think there are a few inexperienced cowboys around the peninsula working with swarms where the main incentive is cash for honey with little regard for property owner or community safety. I had one chap try an put a box in my garden, I suggested that the family history with bees was a risk and I would need to get consent from my neighbour too, the young chap had no clue of the regulations and said putting the box in the garden was no issue - he wasn't interested in a discussion on the possible consequences of an angry swarm. 

Glad this episode for Guy turned out well.

15 hours ago, tubed said:

Interesting thread, I think a good warning to be careful.

I have a history with bees, not a good one because of my stupidity as a boy, we stoned some hives and paid the price, my brother now is at risk of a severe anaphylactic reaction. He handles most wild on his farm, but bees he has to steer well clear of.

On my property I have issues with them on hot days/ use of weedeater/ petrol mower/ chainsaw, they don't like the noise/ vibration. Like folk have said, the first one pings my pip and I head inside quickly before the rest get the message.

We were talking about the urban trend to beekeeping last Sat when riding, its noble, but I think there are a few inexperienced cowboys around the peninsula working with swarms where the main incentive is cash for honey with little regard for property owner or community safety. I had one chap try an put a box in my garden, I suggested that the family history with bees was a risk and I would need to get consent from my neighbour too, the young chap had no clue of the regulations and said putting the box in the garden was no issue - he wasn't interested in a discussion on the possible consequences of an angry swarm. 

Glad this episode for Guy turned out well.

Good point. I think someone was killed in Durban (a worker as I remember) by bees from a formal hive. Quite a fuss made; for a while anyway.

Interesting topic

I have bee's (the tamer European kind) that seem to be moving into one of my balcony pot plants. They enter through the water filling port and seem to be setting up in the base of the pot plant. There is a lot of bee activity as they are constantly flying in and out.

Does anyone have a idea on how to discourage them without harming them? 

I've tried burning a citronella candle at the water port but it seems to have no effect, the candle went out last night  and this morning i found one of them walking all over the candle 😁

On 6/15/2022 at 6:49 AM, DJR said:

My father kept bees for many years, but sadly I did not learn it from him. What I do recall though, is that whenever he worked with the bees, he showered beforehand and did it on a cool day, early in the morning. His reason for cleaning himself was that the bees disliked a strong sweaty scent and would be more aggressive if you smelled of perspiration. He also made sure not to have deodorant or aftershave on him because some of those can mimic pheromones and have an effect on the bees. Real or old wives tale? I don't know. But it made me wonder why cyclists, all hot and sweaty, get stung all too often.

I sweat like the proverbial pig on my bike. That probably explains getting stung on Contermanskloof a couple years back. I hightailed it out there and on my next trip there I again found myself being investigated by bees. I reckon bees should not be kept close to where people congregate.

9 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Interesting topic

I have bee's (the tamer European kind) that seem to be moving into one of my balcony pot plants. They enter through the water filling port and seem to be setting up in the base of the pot plant. There is a lot of bee activity as they are constantly flying in and out.

Does anyone have a idea on how to discourage them without harming them? 

I've tried burning a citronella candle at the water port but it seems to have no effect, the candle went out last night  and this morning i found one of them walking all over the candle 😁

Almond oil is good for repelling bees. Had bees moving into an old door frame of an outside room and I asked the advice of a beekeeper. If you put some drops of almond oil (or even almond essence) around the entry point it should discourage them. I did that and it worked. Took a day or two but they moved on

On 6/14/2022 at 3:29 PM, ChrisF said:

The corridor on Anna Beulah have a number of bee hives.

If you pass through the section after the A frame it is easy to ride right next to the bee hives ....

I make an effort a staying close to the fence ... away from the hives ....

Screenshot_20220614-152109_Connect.jpg.70a90b1028deefabec1112bc8e74bd77.jpg

Screenshot_20220614-152137_Connect.jpg.de605143dbf9b510bdf102db7ba0329a.jpg

I didn't even know this corridor existed, I would always use the one on the club's map :

image.png.45af67c6ecf1d91677e5daf395b23d10.png

Not too sure I want to try it now though :D

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

I didn't even know this corridor existed, I would always use the one on the club's map :

image.png.45af67c6ecf1d91677e5daf395b23d10.png

Not too sure I want to try it now though :D

This is a new one probably +-3months old, yeah that is how long ago you've actually mtb'ed or read the clubs newsletter 😝 Both Corridors are still in operation but you will be safe going down the new corridor as you can clock up to 70kmh down from the top of the Bush Vine Climb, up is the problem because it is a drag & you are going slow so you will not be able to outride the swarm of bees yes even you Jbr 😉

Guilty your honor 😪

Gonna get back on the MTB after France, there's a MTB race I want to take my revenge on soon-ish ;)

On 6/14/2022 at 8:17 AM, Mongoose! said:

Mike is a hero 👏

Not all heroes wear capes. Some drive a bakkie and have remarkable decision-making under pressure. That was a life-threatening situation.

So also learned a few interesting things my side:

Don't try to jump into a water body - you won't be able to stay under long enough for the bees to lose interest

Do try to run through bushes which will disorientate the bees and get them off your tail

Don't slap a bee when it stings you or lands on you -they send the alarm signal to other bees

Do stay calm and avoid escalating the frenzy

Do avoid hives in canola fields, not sure if it is the pollen or the vibrant yellow but it tends to make them more aggressive than usual

Do carry some antihistamines (my experience. allergex is only good as a sleeping tablet, ask your pharmacist for an OTC for stings and bites)

21 hours ago, milky4130 said:

This is a new one probably +-3months old, yeah that is how long ago you've actually mtb'ed or read the clubs newsletter 😝 Both Corridors are still in operation but you will be safe going down the new corridor as you can clock up to 70kmh down from the top of the Bush Vine Climb, up is the problem because it is a drag & you are going slow so you will not be able to outride the swarm of bees yes even you Jbr 😉

Don't hit the a frame at the bottom at 70kmph

On 6/16/2022 at 8:42 PM, TrulySpoken said:

Almond oil is good for repelling bees. Had bees moving into an old door frame of an outside room and I asked the advice of a beekeeper. If you put some drops of almond oil (or even almond essence) around the entry point it should discourage them. I did that and it worked. Took a day or two but they moved on

Thanks, Almond essence drops worked, the bees 🐝 have left the building 

23 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Thanks, Almond essence drops worked, the bees 🐝 have left the building 

I wonder whether the almond smell tells the bees that there is something poisonous around? (Bitter almonds contain a small amount of cyanide.) Perhaps there is something in regular almonds that they experience as a warning and move off?