Buyers Advice on Classified Ads

Hairy

1 hour ago, porqui said:

Do not agree with you.

It's called ripping people off.

I believe in fair deal setup fair price for both seller and buyer - that was really what the ethos was about for the classifieds. It has now become a commercial venture - fair enough not my forum.

But now you have the middle man who exploits both the seller (low price) and also the buyer (high price) and some make a killing for doing what ???

It was initially clearly stated that the intention was a win/win situation for the cycling community.

For it to be viable you need "foot traffic" which is what the forum brought but I suspect the numbers are falling.

When corporates do it its called price fixing and greed. Lots of companies in the US raising their prices not because of increased demand of labour, but because people expect inflation and so they can.

The winners are their directors and shareholders. Everyone else loses.

Edited by M L

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

I'd love to see some examples of people that get taken advantage of, or do you only speculate? 

30% maybe, on a new bike, as stated above. Unfortunately I sell used bikes... 

Noted on your 30% comment, I misread the new part 👍.

Taken of advantage of would be the Spesh Chisel add I just posted. A professional second hand dealer can / should know very well what a very popular brand sells a new bike for, and can certainly not advertised a used product for the same price.

My point stands that it looks like second hand dealers here are giving your trade a bad name.

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Nope, you are wrong. I speak from experience.

Just to understand, are you agreeing with a used older model bike with a lesser spec being advertised for the same price as a brand new one with better spec?

Not following the logic here?

I can only go on my actual experience in selling used bikes. With so much information at people's fingertips, doing the research before buying is becoming easier and easier. 

I find that buyers are more informed than ever. 

As I said before, it's a free market, people can advertise for whatever price they'd like to and if someone pays that with or without doing research, then that's on them and them alone

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Noted on your 30% comment, I misread the new part 👍.

Taken of advantage of would be the Spesh Chisel add I just posted. A professional second hand dealer can / should know very well what a very popular brand sells a new bike for, and can certainly not advertised a used product for the same price.

My point stands that it looks like second hand dealers here are giving your trade a bad name.

Unpopular business practices would hurt the business and not the industry. That's my opinion. A lot of that business ends up coming my way, and I can certainly do with less competition 

1 minute ago, ACE Cycles said:

I can only go on my actual experience in selling used bikes. With so much information at people's fingertips, doing the research before buying is becoming easier and easier. 

As I said before, it's a free market, people can advertise for whatever price they'd like to and if someone pays that with or without doing research, then that's on them and them alone

Cool, so you ok with over inflated prices that may drop if an informed buyer comes around or if you catch some one gullible enough to accept the sale at the price then it is fair game .... all in the name of free market.

How a bout a bit of free speech, in my personal opinion that just plain sucks.

At least on Facebook when someone sells something like the Chisel I posted, members can chime in and tell the seller on a public platform that they are taking a fat chance, or highlight a cracked frame, or whatever else sort of garbage has been highlighted before.

7 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Cool, so you ok with over inflated prices that may drop if an informed buyer comes around or if you catch some one gullible enough to accept the sale at the price then it is fair game .... all in the name of free market.

How a bout a bit of free speech, in my personal opinion that just plain sucks.

At least on Facebook when someone sells something like the Chisel I posted, members can chime in and tell the seller on a public platform that they are taking a fat chance, or highlight a cracked frame, or whatever else sort of garbage has been highlighted before.

I never said that I'm OK with it, and it's definitely not how I run my own business. 

But it doesn't change the fact that we live in a capatilist free market, and if you're dumb enough to overpay, with all the information out there, then you can only blame yourself. 

Edit: Most bikes here are on Facebook too. Chisel included

Edited by ACE Cycles

14 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

sounds a bit like buying cashews in Mozambique: if it's your first time in Moz, you pay the R200 asking price. if it's your 5th time, you know they will sell it to you for R50.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....

Edited by gemmerbal

I never said that I'm OK with it, and it's definitely not how I run my own business. 

But it doesn't change the fact that we live in a capatilist free market, and if you're dumb enough to overpay, with all the information out there, then you can only blame yourself. 

Nope, your closing statement shows you are ok with the practice.

I feel your tone and wording is rather forceful and bullish.

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Nope, your closing statement shows you are ok with the practice.

I feel your tone and wording is rather forceful and bullish.

I just stated the facts. Don't let that offend you

3 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

sounds a bit like buying cashews in Mozambique: if it's your first time in Moz, you pay the R200 asking price. if it's your 5th time, you know they will sell it to you for R50.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....

Can I Google the price of cashews in Moz? Are there platforms to do research, read reviews and get information before making an informed decision? 

2 minutes ago, ACE Cycles said:

I just stated the facts. Don't let that offend you

Assumptions maybe yes.

Can I Google the price of cashews in Moz? Are there platforms to do research, read reviews and get information before making an informed decision? 

That would be a good idea.

Where can we create a platform / thread to highlight such practices on this cycling platform....oh, we can't as that would not be fair to those selling used bikes for the same price as a brand new bike.

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

LOL .... you stated very clearly what your views are thank you.

Yes, my view that we live in a capatilist free market, or is that stating a fact?

My business practices speak volumes, so do my ads, and my reviews. 

And you know that that does not happen. People more often than not do not make informed choices. And good sources of information are not always readily available.