Buyers Advice on Classified Ads

Hairy

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

you mean this post?
image.png.56c0c88630cea79022e7dc52f2802adf.png

That kinda approach can have broader negatives for us all, especially taxpayers.  Someone who married into the ex’s family prepared his tender documents for the notorious Ekurhuleni portable toilets tender on my kitchen table.  He had to borrow cash to travel back to his Gauteng home.

I saw the guy a year later at a funeral where he turned up in his shiny new Range Rover Sport.  Additionally, a top-of-the-line Merc sedan was garaged at his fully paid up, just completed, very large Midstream Estates home.  “if they’re dumb enough to pay that much” were his precise words!?  Not at all a stretch to see how that harms us all.  One imagines the Guptas probably thought the same thing.

And yes I got my "travel cash” loan back, interest free.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, justinafrika said:

That kinda approach can have broader negatives for us all, especially taxpayers.  Someone who married into the ex’s family prepared his tender documents for the notorious Ekurhuleni portable toilets tender on my kitchen table.  He had to borrow cash to travel back to his Gauteng home.

I saw the guy a year later at a funeral where he turned up in his shiny new Range Rover Sport.  Additionally, a top-of-the-line Merc sedan was garaged at his fully paid up, just completed, very large Midstream Estates home.  “if they’re dumb enough to pay that much” were his precise words!?  Not at all a stretch to see how that harms us all.  One imagines the Guptas probably thought the same thing.

And yes I got my "travel cash” loan back, interest free.

I agree with you and you make a great point. My assumption is that there is a lot of info out there when it comes to bicycles. It's no secret what the bike would have cost new, it's all over the web, and reviews for days. I personally use this info daily to try and work out what a fair offer would be on a trade in or purchase. I definitely see how people could potentially be taken advantage of, but surely the info is out there to make an informed decision, right? 

I read the last post on page 6 and can't be bothered to read the rest now 

but this thread will be closed by 19:00 today if half the pages not just cut 

2 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I read the last post on page 6 and can't be bothered to read the rest now 

but this thread will be closed by 19:00 today if half the pages not just cut 

Nah !!

I think they are going to stick it out a while !!

😜

(want to make a wager ??)

15 hours ago, Matt said:

Just to get the facts straight on this point of speculation, the Classifieds have been the biggest driver of “foot traffic” on Bike Hub for the better part of 14 years. The forums undoubtedly brought in the users in the early days, but it was our Buy & sell forum that soon became the breadwinner in terms of generating traffic. The early rise of Buy and sell forum activity is was spurred Bike Hub (then The Hub SA) into becoming a full time job and proper commercial venture. Without that it would very likely not exist today.

Forum traffic (I.e. non-classifieds) and activity has steadily declined over the years with the the rise of of social media and other platforms that allow cyclists to connect and share. Classifieds on the other hand has continued to steadily grow.

I am not sure how much social media has impacted forum style websites. However, I was one of first users of facebook after I was invited when it just started and before it was even available on a cellphone. Facebook has changed alot and I have stopped using it altogether. All those extras I hate and it is extremely distracting.

I belong to a few forums which are activity related simply because of the focus on an activity and passion from hobbyist to business owner. Hub has been unfortunately drifting away from a forum style website though and this could be why members are declining. All the other forums I belong to has a huge member count and rising.

10 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I am not sure how much social media has impacted forum style websites. However, I was one of first users of facebook after I was invited when it just started and before it was even available on a cellphone. Facebook has changed alot and I have stopped using it altogether. All those extras I hate and it is extremely distracting.

I belong to a few forums which are activity related simply because of the focus on an activity and passion from hobbyist to business owner. Hub has been unfortunately drifting away from a forum style website though and this could be why members are declining. All the other forums I belong to has a huge member count and rising.

Maybe whatsapp groups? I'm in plenty of those and people talk a lot of *** there 😂

15 minutes ago, porqui said:

Nah !!

I think they are going to stick it out a while !!

😜

(want to make a wager ??)

I'm with you

6 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

I really enjoyed the debate and engaging with @Hairy

Likewise, and we do not make or take things personally ........... except you calling me old ... where is that report button again :P

Yes ACE there were some very ignorant insinuations made :) The 56kbs Big Black Box from MWEB came out in like 1995 already so just because we finished school in the 90s (97 for me) doesn't mean we're not at the cutting edge of the metaverse.  

3 minutes ago, Showtime said:

Yes ACE there were some very ignorant insinuations made :) The 56kbs Big Black Box from MWEB came out in like 1995 already so just because we finished school in the 90s (97 for me) doesn't mean we're not at the cutting edge of the metaverse.  

No kudos for guessing the age correctly? 

• 3 weeks later...