Road Bike recommendations Budget R180K

Sidmouth

2 minutes ago, Eugene said:

If you are going to drop R180k on a bike, then you should get something that you really want. 

If Colnago is the bike you wanted, then hang on for your order to arrive. It will be worth the wait. Don't buy a bike now just for the sake of it. 

Prob the most sound advice so far

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Eugene said:

If you are going to drop R180k on a bike, then you should get something that you really want. 

If Colnago is the bike you wanted, then hang on for your order to arrive. It will be worth the wait. Don't buy a bike now just for the sake of it. 

this right here is the best advice on this entire thread

1 minute ago, Furbz said:

this right here is the best advice on this entire thread

Thinking the same thing,  but at some point you need to throw in the towel , not sure when that is.

18 minutes ago, Sidmouth said:

Thinking the same thing,  but at some point you need to throw in the towel , not sure when that is.

Is their stock issues just in SA ?

Any chance of getting your dream bike in Europe, America, Australia ?

In this global village you already have an offer to bring one in from Europe, if you can get stock there.

Dreams are funny that way .... second best does not satisfy ....

6 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Heart: what makes your heart jump through your throat

Head: after-sales service / warranty / ongoing product support

Always combine Head and Heart especially living at the southern tip of Africa

Ag 'Dale always the voice of reason. Well said. 

8 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Heart: what makes your heart jump through your throat

Head: after-sales service / warranty / ongoing product support

Always combine Head and Heart especially living at the southern tip of Africa

Nee man .... this is an emotional purchase.

Sadly ... buying with the brain, and banking on local backup is all too often not rewarded with good after sales service.  (Coming from someone that always buy with the brain)

36 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Is their stock issues just in SA ?

Any chance of getting your dream bike in Europe, America, Australia ?

In this global village you already have an offer to bring one in from Europe, if you can get stock there.

Dreams are funny that way .... second best does not satisfy ....

I think Colnago if particularly hard hit, form a small niche company struggling against the global marketing giants like Spec Trek Scott Cannondale, ETC   then come TDF wins and then everyone wants one of their bikes, same time they get hit with Covid Supply issue, but what I have learned trying to find an alternative is this is a global issue, Merida only will have stock 2023, same with Scott, their top of the range bike only 2023  and DURA ACE group sets drying up, it could get to the point where you just have to buy something that is available, availability may become the next sexy thing 

See you from port alfred. Get a gravel bike.... 180k will get you something that is insanely good with 2 wheelsets. I live in the area. And the lack of road riders and decent groups to ride with was a big reason I tossed the road bike and ride 95% gravel bike and explore the many miles of farm roads and ride the beach on it when  it comes to service time

Edited by Toasted marshmallows
Needed more detail

16 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Experiences over things for me too. But someone who has 180k to drop on a bike has probably also been to those places or similar recently.

The Bossi makes me fizz.

I'll never get tired of Europe, especially doing the non touristy stuff.

The Bossi....no words!!! 

1 hour ago, Underachiever said:

I'll never get tired of Europe, especially doing the non touristy stuff.

The Bossi....no words!!! 

Indeed. I miss gong to Europe. It's been 4 years.

Hey OP. How about buying a 150k Colnago? (dunno if that's possible) Do a trip to Bassano del Grappa and getting your Colnago there? I saw a Ferrari branded one with in a shop there and the shop was carrying them at the time. It was the main Cannondale  shop in Bassano.

Fly in to Venice. commuter train to Bassano. Monte Grappa is RIGHT THERE. We did the "easy" route and that's 1550m of climbing in 27 grueling km with about 200m of downhill in the entire 27km. Passo San Boldo is on the other side of the same massive mountain. The Pordoi and all the passes in that zone are within easy driving distance and so is The mighty Zoncolan (in a different direction)

30k could get you there for a week to have a honeymoon with your new lady and you can smash out some Giro climbs.

It's nice deciding what to do with other peoples money. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

13 hours ago, Sidmouth said:

I think Colnago if particularly hard hit, form a small niche company struggling against the global marketing giants like Spec Trek Scott Cannondale, ETC   then come TDF wins and then everyone wants one of their bikes, same time they get hit with Covid Supply issue, but what I have learned trying to find an alternative is this is a global issue, Merida only will have stock 2023, same with Scott, their top of the range bike only 2023  and DURA ACE group sets drying up, it could get to the point where you just have to buy something that is available, availability may become the next sexy thing 

Will you still be truly truly happy once the V3Rs arrives knowing you could've then just bought the new released Protipo(Not sure of the Price). I'm sure John Wakefield will be able to give you some rider feedback he's heard?

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/10688/colnago-v4rs

4 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Indeed. I miss gong to Europe. It's been 4 years.

Hey OP. How about buying a 150k Colnago? (dunno if that's possible) Do a trip to Bassano del Grappa and getting your Colnago there? I saw a Ferrari branded one with in a shop there and the shop was carrying them at the time. It was the main Cannondale  shop in Bassano.

Fly in to Venice. commuter train to Bassano. Monte Grappa is RIGHT THERE. We did the "easy" route and that's 1550m of climbing in 27 grueling km with about 200m of downhill in the entire 27km. Passo San Boldo is on the other side of the same massive mountain. The Pordoi and all the passes in that zone are within easy driving distance and so is The mighty Zoncolan (in a different direction)

30k could get you there for a week to have a honeymoon with your new lady and you can smash out some Giro climbs.

It's nice deciding what to do with other peoples money. 

memories that cannot get taken away, stolen, written off and unlike modern bikes, get better with age. thanks for that Duane!