Jump to content

Older Di2 vs newer Ultegra mechanical


Recommended Posts

Hi all

What is the general feeling and experience older generation electronic shifting?  with the new 105 12 speed di2 that has just been released the older 10 speed components just gets more and more ancient (and hopefully more affordable..) by the day, but due to budget and availability would a bike with 2x10 speed ultegra di2 still be a good purchase, or would I be better off to stick to mechanical 2x11 ultegra, considering the 2x10 di2 bike and 2x11 ultegra bike is of similar value? 

Inputs opinions and experience (especially practical experience of anyone using 2x10 di2) would be much appreciated

thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I was a Shitmano guy (which I'm not !) I would stick with the 2 X 11 mech. 

11 spd has an advantage over 10 spd

Electronic has no advantage over mech.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Mechanical Ultegra R8000 and love the feel of the front shifting of the R8000, it almost feel like a "snap-over" when you go from small to big blade, just because of spares availability I will stick to my Mechanical Ultegra, although not much wrong with the 10 speed Di2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't go for 10 speed di2, I have heard it is a bit of a mission replacing things and the tech is quite old. 11 speed is really good though, 6800/9000 and 8000/9100 can all be mixed together across the 11 speed generations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

Ultegra 6800 or R8000?

6800..

good point (also not new tech)

I would personally not consider 10speed mechanical groupsets anymore, but I cant afford 11 speed electronic. So my thinking is that with 10 speed electronic shifting one may actually not notice the jump in gears so much because of the smoother shifting (especially if on a narrower casette like a 11-25 or 28).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Problem with 10sp Di2 is availability of cables, this Di2 uses different electrical cables to that of 11sp Di2 and you will be unlikely to find replacement cables should one break or the connection to the any of the groupset not work properly, you will have a unusable groupset.  Cables are not backward compatible from 11sp Di2.  If you need to find replacements, you are likely to be shopping on ebay and hoping you can find.

Nothing wrong with 11spd mechanical.  I have Di2 11spd on my tri bike, I also have mechanical 11spd on a road bike and have no issues riding either.  With both systems you need to index properly and will have many kns of riding without issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have two bikes both running on Ultegra R8000 mechanical (one rim brake and other disc)

Shifting is excellent👌 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, shaper said:

Problem with 10sp Di2 is availability of cables, this Di2 uses different electrical cables to that of 11sp Di2 and you will be unlikely to find replacement cables should one break or the connection to the any of the groupset not work properly, you will have a unusable groupset.  Cables are not backward compatible from 11sp Di2.  If you need to find replacements, you are likely to be shopping on ebay and hoping you can find.

Nothing wrong with 11spd mechanical.  I have Di2 11spd on my tri bike, I also have mechanical 11spd on a road bike and have no issues riding either.  With both systems you need to index properly and will have many kns of riding without issue.

That's the case for Dura Ace 10 speed di2, not Ultegra. Ultegra 10 speed uses the same E-tube connectors as the 11 and 12 speed versions.

OP, are you sure on the model? You mention 6800 - this is an 11 speed groupset.

If it is indeed 10 speed, the shifters and front deraileur can also be used an 11 speed rear derailleur, meaning you could always upgrade at a later stage by changing the rear derailleur, cassette etc. What junction box and battery is the groupset presently using?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gravel bike is a 10 speed tiagra baby.... Shifting is solid, maintenance is all but set and forget, have an extender in it to accommodate a 40 tooth granny.

My road bike has ultegra r8000 mechanical and requires reidexing fairly often and develops drivetrain creaks ... To be fair that is most often the  bottom bracket .

That said I'd choose 11speed mechanical over 10 speed di2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mamil said:

My road bike has ultegra r8000 mechanical and requires reidexing fairly often 

new hanger and you be okay 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all inputs, mechanical then seems to be the better option

On this topic, out of interest has anyone upgraded an older generation di2 10speed to 11speed? It seems “all” that is required is upgrading the RD and FD with 11speed di2 components (and maybe firmware upgrade).

In the end it is probably better to just buy a newer generation di2, but depending on availability and costs the economics may make sense to upgrade an older system as a compromise?
 

https://bettershifting.com/in-depth-guide-on-upgrading-your-old-di2-bike/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I wouldn't go for 10 speed di2, I have heard it is a bit of a mission replacing things and the tech is quite old. 11 speed is really good though, 6800/9000 and 8000/9100 can all be mixed together across the 11 speed generations. 

10speed Di2 spares are non existent and Shimano refuse to make the 12 speed system bacwards compatible.

Better to stick with mechanical 11speed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Settings My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Help Logout