Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

Centurion Gate motors can't work if there is a faulty battery. The motors runs on the battery only and the charger can't power it alone. Not sure about their garage motors though

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had any dealings with GoSolr?

We are looking at some of their offerings and would just like some firsthand feedback?

Also (slightly off topic), how do you guys keep your pools clear during all this load shedding? We have a large pool (>100000L) and it looking like a bit of a duck pond at the moment.

49 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

We are looking at some of their offerings and would just like some firsthand feedback?

Also (slightly off topic), how do you guys keep your pools clear during all this load shedding? We have a large pool (>100000L) and it looking like a bit of a duck pond at the moment.

I only have a 7500L pool, so can run it while the sun shines, and enjoy a clean and warm pool 8 months of the year. The rain plays havoc, though, with the pH.

Hi,

Could anyone help with costing of 2nd hand inverter Mecer SOL-I-AX-3K (3kw-24v) comes with 4 x 250ah ACDC batteries (2 are 3 years old and 2 are 1 year old), battery cables and 1 pole 100amp fuse.

Also where can one sell this.

Reason for selling is new system was upgrade with bigger inverter and batteries.

3kw.jpg

3kv2.jpg

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

Centurion Gate motors can't work if there is a faulty battery. The motors runs on the battery only and the charger can't power it alone. Not sure about their garage motors though

Gate not garage 

3 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

when we re-did our pool a few years back the installer recommended a PVC pool cover. For keeping the pool clean, saving on chemicals and water and keeping kids out, it has been brilliant.

I hardly backwash my pool anymore, only do it once a month to make sure there is no bacteria build up in the filter.

We had a light green pool mid december, but that was because I forgot to change the floater. With the pool covered you cant see that the floater is done, so you kind of forget about it.

3 hours ago, FondTF2 said:

My dad has quite a bit of m^2 if that bubble pool cover from Builders in his garage if you are interested.

Hi All. Anybody running gas geysers?

We have been thinking of this option to help a bit on the savings, at the moment I need to run my geyser for 3 hours more a day due to loading shedding.

I do have a solar geyser, problem is that if my pressure pump doesn't run it cant circulate its water.

We mainly use hot water between 5am - 6am (2 adults, shower, bath) and 6pm - 7pm (2 kids in a bath) 

what would the ideal size be 15l -20l?

Ill still keep the solar geyser as it helps with afternoon heating.

is it worth spending cash for this.

thanks

18 minutes ago, Bomberman said:

I do have a solar geyser, problem is that if my pressure pump doesn't run it cant circulate its water.

Isn't it possible to get a small PV panel that just runs the pump?
I've heard of such setups, I guess it depends on the type/ voltage of the pump

35 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

So eskom had a massive 18.something % increase approved yesterday by NERSA. Watch LS drop to almost nothing now.

The pattern is always the same, huge increase in load shedding leading up to NERSA making a decision 

Yea saw that can't wait to get my upgrade now to try and lower that last bit of Eskom dependency, also gonna swap out my geyser element from 3kW to 2kW this weekend.  Considering my setup capacity and bad weather scenarios I would rather have the geyser run longer but just off PV and never have to use grid then have hot water a little bit faster but have to use Eskom power for an hour or more to achieve that.

What is the reason from what am reading the preferred option is PV (geyserwise) for the geyser rather than evacuated tube or flat plate?

4 minutes ago, shaper said:

What is the reason from what am reading the preferred option is PV (geyserwise) for the geyser rather than evacuated tube or flat plate?

As I understand, it is jut panels and electrical work, no extra plumbing needed as with the other options. Considering as one of my options as well.

36 minutes ago, HdB said:

Isn't it possible to get a small PV panel that just runs the pump?
I've heard of such setups, I guess it depends on the type/ voltage of the pump

Mmmm, never thought of this. Small solar panel and battery when the power kicks out. 

1 hour ago, Bomberman said:

Hi All. Anybody running gas geysers?

We have been thinking of this option to help a bit on the savings, at the moment I need to run my geyser for 3 hours more a day due to loading shedding.

We mainly use hot water between 5am - 6am (2 adults, shower, bath) and 6pm - 7pm (2 kids in a bath) 

what would the ideal size be 15l -20l?

Ill still keep the solar geyser as it helps with afternoon heating.

is it worth spending cash for this.

thanks

I'm running gas geysers at home. Honestly it's great from a "I don't have to worry about hot water" perspective, it's not great from a "saving money" perspective. My cost of gas is roughly 80-90% of what the electricity cost of running the geysers was. Also a lot of the bigger gas geysers need to be plugged in to ignite so unless you have them on a UPS or inverter they won't work during loadshedding. That said, you do get ones that run on batteries or have a little water turbine for ignition so that's not a deal breaker.