Sports glasses with prescription inserts anyone?

Headshot

Had a little off this morning that resulted in my rather expensive prescription specs taking some damage. I am thinking of getting a pair of decent riding glasses eg Rudy Project with prescription inserts. I've traditionally worn contact lenses and sports glasses for riding but increasingly found it simpler to just wear my day to day specs for short rides. 

Looking for some advice and experience with prescription inserts. Fire away!

My optometrist makes up prescription lenses for me. I currently have a pair of Oakley's that she made multifocal photochromic prescription lenses for. Most decent optometrists can do this with any of the sports type frames. Where are you based?

40 minutes ago, Spirog said:

My optometrist makes up prescription lenses for me. I currently have a pair of Oakley's that she made multifocal photochromic prescription lenses for. Most decent optometrists can do this with any of the sports type frames. Where are you based?

My optometrist can also do them. How do you find using the glasses as far as fogging up and the extra weight is concerned?

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Had a little off this morning that resulted in my rather expensive prescription specs taking some damage. I am thinking of getting a pair of decent riding glasses eg Rudy Project with prescription inserts. I've traditionally worn contact lenses and sports glasses for riding but increasingly found it simpler to just wear my day to day specs for short rides. 

Looking for some advice and experience with prescription inserts. Fire away!

I use some Adidas Evil Eye half rims which have a prescription insert. Easily changed when prescription changes. Also harder to break.

1120782092_th(1).jpg.54fc39b5ef95aac7c6c9718f293065e3.jpg

9 minutes ago, Headshot said:

My optometrist can also do them. How do you find using the glasses as far as fogging up and the extra weight is concerned?

So I went with regular frames rather than the inserts because the advice I got was that those inserts wouldn't work with my prescription. Also, they appeared to narrow my field of vision.

I've used the Rudy Project Rydons (with inserts -bifocals) for years now.

As there is a fair amount of curvature in both lenses the vision isn't 100% but more than adequate for cycling.

Fogging up is only a problem if you stop cycling or if there is no breeze over the glasses. Get underway again and they clear fairly quickly.

I don't particularly like the Rydon shape but I notice the Fotonyk (bigger and more mod) also takes the inserts so might consider then as a future upgrade.

Edited by robbybzgo
Spelling/added text

• 11 months later...

Good Afternoon!

OK, so my son has to wear glasses permanently. He plays cricket and field hockey. and we go on rides now and then over weekends when there is time. He got new frame last week, and while it is nice and light, it still doesn't sit tight. we had it adjusted. They played cricket over the weekend, it went well batting wise, but while fielding and bowling it was a bit of an issue. 

Our optometrist, said yes they can do Oakley Frames with his prescription which will be in region of R6500.

I am leaning more towards the optical insert option, which will be cheaper in the longrun, but optometrist dont stock those. between Rudy project and Adidas, what options are there as the inserts are about R1500.

We tried contact lenses, but that didnt go too well.

any input, suggestions and comments are welcome

thank you!

Edited by RudoJ

I have been riding with entry level Rudy project swifty’s and the clip on optical inserts. It works for me and is a lot cheaper then prescription lenses.

I have a pair which is great, but you are left with horrible blind spots. I have since learned to use contact lenses and I also have a pair of prescription sunglasses, which might be a better option.

I get along very well with the Rudy projects and their inserts. Works well, photochromic for mtb and normal for road bike. Would recommend, actually I’m currently waiting for a set of inserts for a new pair I just recently bought.

I’ve been bombarded with adverts for sunglasses on IG and FB, even though I’m not actively looking.

There’s so much available compared to about 10 years ago.

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

I’ve been bombarded with adverts for sunglasses on IG and FB, even though I’m not actively looking.

There’s so much available compared to about 10 years ago.

My eyes have deteriorated in the past 3 years. I do adventure racing so having to read a map while riding a bike is important.

Currently have prescription glasses and got a "free" pair of prescription sunglasses that I use(not free).

Would like a cheaper more disposable alternative so following this thread now with interest!

20 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

My eyes have deteriorated in the past 3 years. I do adventure racing so having to read a map while riding a bike is important.

Currently have prescription glasses and got a "free" pair of prescription sunglasses that I use(not free).

Would like a cheaper more disposable alternative so following this thread now with interest!

https://gobicyclestylenetwork.com

IMG_1889.jpeg

Friend of mine had these inserts in his Rudy Projects. He could literally change sunglasses and clip the Myopia frame adapter on to any compatible frame.

I have bought many pairs of myopia glasses and sunglasses from Aliexpress. They are very cheap, but they work fine for cycling. It takes a while for them to arrive. But worth the wait. I found they are not good for driving at night (especially in the rain), but otherwise work fine.

The normal sunglasses are pretty good too, many come with myopia inserts which local optometrists can make up for you. The various types of myopia inserts for sports glasses are also very cheap. I have bought a few, but not tried them out yet.